PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a EZ Up Shelter

jcpetro97
07-08-2011, 02:17 PM
I was looking around for a 10x10 ez up shelter to use for competition and some other stuff. I have seen numerous posts about people using the commercial grade shelters, but since I am just getting started with my equipment, I don't know that spending that kind of money is a wise thing... So, anyway, I was looking at the EZ UP Express II as my first venture into the shelter arena. Anyone have one, what were your experiences like. Should I be looking at something else ( even if it is a brand other than ez up )

Thanks for the advise everyone.. I appreciate it

caseydog
07-08-2011, 02:33 PM
I have the EZ Up Enterprise II 10X10, and it has held up to some serious weather. It is big and heavy when folded up, but strong when set up. I can set it up and take it down by myself.

Mine has a logo screened on all four sides of the roof, and on the optional back wall. That screen printing costs more than the shelter, itself.

I did have mine take off once, and do a tumbleweed on a paved parking lot. A couple of parts broke, but I had no problem getting new parts, and replacing them my self.

I got mine from www.buyshade.com. There customer service has been great.

CD

romex2121
07-08-2011, 02:34 PM
ive got one that we use around the house and when out camping and stuff like that,, i say go for it i dont see why you need to pay big bucks for something thats gonna do the same thing you can get for less,,

Dave Russell
07-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I've got a regular old EZ UP that my wife got for me on sale at Kmart several years back. It works great, and is really well made for what I paid for it. No damage yet, and as long as you stake it down, it'll hold up in wind pretty good.

jcpetro97
07-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I've got a regular old EZ UP that my wife got for me on sale at Kmart several years back. It works great, and is really well made for what I paid for it. No damage yet, and as long as you stake it down, it'll hold up in wind pretty good.

Thanks Dave.. .I was given the advise to anchor it down with some 5 gallon buckets of water to keep it from blowing away... :-D

JMSetzler
07-08-2011, 02:58 PM
I started out even cheaper... I picked up a Quest at Dick's for $59 but its the 10x10 with the 8x8 shade top. It works great in my back yard but I haven't had any extreme weather to deal with while using it...

Dave Russell
07-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks Dave.. .I was given the advise to anchor it down with some 5 gallon buckets of water to keep it from blowing away... :-D

Yep, come to think about it, I've seen folks do that. When I put mine up outside the house over my cooker and grills, I'd rather only have two poles over the grass, anyway....so thanks for the reminder.

QansasjayhawQ
07-08-2011, 03:51 PM
I was looking around for a 10x10 ez up shelter to use for competition and some other stuff. I have seen numerous posts about people using the commercial grade shelters, but since I am just getting started with my equipment, I don't know that spending that kind of money is a wise thing... So, anyway, I was looking at the EZ UP Express II as my first venture into the shelter arena. Anyone have one, what were your experiences like. Should I be looking at something else ( even if it is a brand other than ez up )

Thanks for the advise everyone.. I appreciate it
You don't have to get all fancy with the commercial grade shelters - I've been using my college branded 10X10 canopy that I bought on sale a couple years ago for well less than $100

It stands up very well in the wind - I use sand bags and bungee cords to tie mine down.

I do have to check the tightness of the fasteners about once a year because those do work themselves loose - but it hasn't caused a problem yet because I noticed it before anything bad happened.

I like the design of my 'el cheepo' brand canopy because there's not a framework in the middle to hit your head on like at least one model of EZ Up I've seen.

fixer
07-08-2011, 03:51 PM
I have a 10x10 frame but missing the canopy. Anyone with suggestions where to get cheap covers?

Midnight Smoke
07-08-2011, 04:57 PM
I was at KMart last week and they had a pretty large selection of Canopies. I was surprised.

hav
07-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Walmart First-up...$97 bucks...I leave it up all summer.

Pappy
07-08-2011, 05:16 PM
I've seen some on CL for as little as $40

bigabyte
07-08-2011, 05:54 PM
I had mine out on the back patio all Spring, Summer and most of Fall last year and it survived all storms that blew through. It's up again this year and still going strong. I have one of the posts on mine tied to a large tree, two others to the deck, and another tied to an anchor in a big old rock. It's not going anywhere but smushed downward, and that hasn't happened yet.

Muzzlebrake
07-08-2011, 06:29 PM
cheap out on shelter at your own risk. cooking cold and wet in NY is not fun. I have the Express II, they aren't too bad but they tend to fill with water and have to be dumped much more regularly than the Encore. Iwould steer away from anything cheaper like you can find at Dick's or Walmart.

bmanMA
07-08-2011, 06:46 PM
cheap out on shelter at your own risk. cooking cold and wet in NY is not fun. I have the Express II, they aren't too bad but they tend to fill with water and have to be dumped much more regularly than the Encore. Iwould steer away from anything cheaper like you can find at Dick's or Walmart.

I agree. You will spend your time poking the canopy and dumping during the rain. I have a pro and my partner has the lower end. Big difference. I dont poke, and I dont leak. He pokes and leaks. His canopy, that is ;)

caseydog
07-08-2011, 07:52 PM
I agree. You will spend your time poking the canopy and dumping during the rain. I have a pro and my partner has the lower end. Big difference. I dont poke, and I dont leak. He pokes and leaks. His canopy, that is ;)

Cheap canopies get filled with water that needs to be dumped in a big hurry. The fabric is a lot thinner, and stretches more easily to hold water.

My six-year-old Enterprise has stretched to the point that if I get hit with a really heavy rain. I have to dump water.

Eventually, they will all hold water on the roof, and you will have to deal with that. The thicker ones can hold more water weight. I woke up one morning at a campground with EASILY 200-plus pounds of water on three sides of my EZ-Up. It took two men to push the water up and off with 2X4 lumber. But, it didn't rip, and the frame was fine.

I am one of those guys that doesn't own a lot of stuff. But, I spend a lot of time choosing good stuff, and pay extra money to get something I can keep for a long time. Then, I take care of it. That's why I am still grilling on my 1995 Weber Kettle.

CD

boogiesnap
07-08-2011, 08:10 PM
caravan is an excellent option. i have their steel framed model and it survived one of the nastiest storms up here in a while. sports authority has it for a good price.

also, if you have a big lots near you stop in. they had alot of ez ups a few weeks ago. many different models for VERY good prices.

i have to agree with sean. a few extra dollars on quality will save you ALOT in the long run.

definately ratchet strap some 5 gallon buckets filled with water, rain or shine.

SmokeOCD
07-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I have multiple Caravan canopies. ~1600 each. They last forever, but you really gotta be making money to go for one of these. We used a cheapie for our first vending gig and returned it to Costco right away.

boogiesnap
07-08-2011, 09:12 PM
costco sells the aluminum one. i refered to and bought the steel.

Midnight Smoke
07-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Original EZ-Up 10X10 Sierra 2 at KMart $75.00 Regular $88.00. Just seen them tonight.

Don't know anything about them.

parrdist
07-08-2011, 10:40 PM
I saw these also, Think I'm going to pick one up tomorrow. $75.00 I don't think I can wrong.

boogiesnap
07-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I saw these also, Think I'm going to pick one up tomorrow. $75.00 I don't think I can wrong.

depends on what you're expecting from it.

Brewer
07-09-2011, 12:52 AM
costco sells the aluminum one. i refered to and bought the steel.

Totally agree, Caravan makes a good canopy - I recently bought a Caravan aluminum from Costco and it's a nice canopy. We use it for comps - no doubt it will hold up well.