PDA

View Full Version : 55 gal drums in San Gabriel Valley

gambler
07-08-2011, 10:45 AM
In case anyone is looking for a place that sells 55 gal and 30 gal drums (new or refurbished, open or closed top) there is a place in South El Monte called Ditty Containers. They are on Rosemead Blvd off the 10 frwy.

I purchased two 55 gal drums from them. One open top refurbished one. They completely burn out the inside and then repaint them to look new. The refurbs come either painted or non painted on the inside, but the non painted ones are still coverd with a rust prevention coating that you would still have to burn out, but it is already sanitized from whatever was previously stored in it. I paid $36 and change for it. Tax included

I also purchased a brand new never before used closed top 55 gal drum. That one ran me $66 or $67 and change tax included.

One thing I found out while purchasing these drums is that the open top drums are 23.5" in diameter while the closed top drums are 22.5" in diameter. So if you plan on putting a 22.5" Weber Kettle lid on it, you will have to get the closed top drum and cut the top off.

Their web address is www.ditty.com

gtr
07-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks! Just got mine (via Harripooner) from Apex in Commerce. I think I'll wanna add a mini UDS to the family so I may be on the prowl soon - I'll keep this in mind. :thumb:

Carbon
07-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been looking for a drum these past few weeks (not very hard though) but going through these guys make it so much easier for me. I'll give them a call.

Carbon
07-12-2011, 06:46 PM
I called them and will be picking up a drum this week. I'm taking my spare 22.5" non-Weber lid with me for sizing.

Professor Salt
07-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Describe that coating on the inside a little. Is it a wet oil type of coating, or a dry varnish kind of coating? Did it burn off easy? Did you have to wire-wheel it first?

gtr
07-12-2011, 06:58 PM
This idea from Harripooner - if they recondition drums, get one of those and ask that you get it after they sandblast it but before they put the rust inhibitor on - that way you get a bare metal drum - but paint (outside) & season (inside) quick! He said the rust comes quickly. That's how he did the ones we got from Apex.

gambler
07-12-2011, 07:14 PM
The rust inhibitor is a dry varnish. It looks like as if the drum was already seasoned with vegetable oil, but it is not wet and oily. I haven't had a chance to burn it out yet. But after reading the idea from gtr about getting it right after the burn out but before they apply the rust inhibitor sounds like a better idea. I'm gonna see if I can take it back and exchange it for one right out of the fire.

gambler
07-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Oh, by the way, the new drum I got (closed head) is immaculate inside. If you want to get a new open head drum you can order one from these guys in El Monte for around $76

Carbon
07-12-2011, 07:25 PM
In that case I'll ask for one that's completely bare, inside and out, if available, when I get there,

gambler
07-12-2011, 07:59 PM
They don't stock brand new open head drums, but they can order one. Don't know how long the wait time is. They said it would be $76. That's a lot cheaper than what I was quoted from a company out in Riverside called United States Container Corp. They quoted me $50 or $60 for a new drum, but would charge an additional fee of either $45 or $50 for an order under $500. I don't remember exactly what the prices were, but I do know it was going to cost me over a hundred bucks.

sandiegobbq
07-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I had a friend get me one of those drums and I assumed they would be completely clean inside.

To my surprise there was the varnish rust inhibitor lining.

Anyone that can tell me how to remove this rust inhibitor would be greatly appreciated.

gtr
07-12-2011, 09:54 PM
I think the drums at Apex were around $45. Might be worth the extra dough not to have to go to Commerce, though. :heh:

gambler
07-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Was $45 for a refurb or a new one?

sandiegobbq
07-12-2011, 10:14 PM
It was about 37 including tax

Professor Salt
07-13-2011, 01:35 AM
That's a bummer about the varnish coating on the ones from Ditty. I spoke to the woman there on the phone, and was told their reconditioned drums were "unlined." I assumed that meant bare metal, but apparently not.

I wonder if the varnish will burn off if you hit it with a weed burner? Do one of you guys (sandiegobbq or gambler) want to take one for the team and give it a shot, or will you be returning them to Ditty since they're not what you expected?

sandiegobbq
07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
I already did surgery on my drum so I am going to give it a shot with the weed burner.

Pisses me off that it was not as advertised

sandiegobbq
07-13-2011, 09:53 AM
I just got off the phone with Ditty and they said that it will burn off easily so I am going to try that.

gtr
07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Was $45 for a refurb or a new one?

refurb

Carbon
07-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I wonder if the varnish will burn off if you hit it with a weed burner? Do one of you guys (sandiegobbq or gambler) want to take one for the team and give it a shot, or will you be returning them to Ditty since they're not what you expected?

If my drum (which I'm picking up this week) comes with the inhibitor I intend to take my weed burner to it and probably burn a whole 20lb bag of charcoal in the drum and roll it around for good measure.

gambler
07-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Sandiegobbq said he was gonna burn it out with a weed burner. I think I'm gonna try to exchange it.

El Ropo
07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
If my drum (which I'm picking up this week) comes with the inhibitor I intend to take my weed burner to it and probably burn a whole 20lb bag of charcoal in the drum and roll it around for good measure.

One or two oak pallets burned after drilling intake holes (this gives good air flow to the burn out) will give you what you want, just be warned that any paint on the outside will need to be reapplied. After I burn out a drum, I sand down the outside with medium grit lightly, wipe off with wet towel, then dry, and apply high temp paint right away to prevent rust.

Of course a weed burner will do the job, if you have one handy. Either way you'll need to repaint the outside.

Carbon
07-13-2011, 01:03 PM
One or two oak pallets burned after drilling intake holes (this gives good air flow to the burn out) will give you what you want, just be warned that any paint on the outside will need to be reapplied. After I burn out a drum, I sand down the outside with medium grit lightly, wipe off with wet towel, then dry, and apply high temp paint right away to prevent rust.

Of course a weed burner will do the job, if you have one handy. Either way you'll need to repaint the outside.

Burning scrap lumber would be my first and easiest choice but I live in a high fire zone within the city and I believe open fire is strictly prohibited. Any hint of black smoke and I'll be hearing sirens....:)))
I already have the weed burner which I use to start my pizza oven.