PDA

View Full Version : burnt ends sauce

dealm9
07-08-2011, 05:18 AM
i just threw on my first packer brisket on my uds and i was wondering what sauce the brethren use for the burnt ends. i know i will get a lot of answers but any suggestions on easily obtainable sauces or preferably, recipes for some homemade sauces that go good with burnt ends. i have a good recipe for some sweet, brown sugar based bbq sauce that i use on pork butts but i am not sure if it would go good with burnt ends so what do the brethren use? also i know i will get mixed review but should i sauce while cooking burnt ends or sauce after they are off the uds?

thanks in advance for help. pron to come!

DaveMW
07-08-2011, 06:06 AM
I use a smoky sweet sauce that I make myself. As for when to sauce: I seperate the point when the flat is done and coming off the smoker. Cube the point, sprinkle with more of the rub that I used on the brisket, add some sauce and toss. Back in the smoker in a foil pan for 2 hrs. I taste them and sometimes add a bit more rub & sauce and toss again. You want to sauce before putting them back in the smoker so that the sauce can carmelize. My wife calls them meat candy. :clap2:

dealm9
07-08-2011, 10:20 AM
thanks dave! any chance you can give me the recipe for your sauce?:pray:

Arlin_MacRae
07-08-2011, 11:24 AM
I use a smoky sweet sauce that I make myself. As for when to sauce: I seperate the point when the flat is done and coming off the smoker. Cube the point, sprinkle with more of the rub that I used on the brisket, add some sauce and toss. Back in the smoker in a foil pan for 2 hrs. I taste them and sometimes add a bit more rub & sauce and toss again. You want to sauce before putting them back in the smoker so that the sauce can carmelize. My wife calls them meat candy. :clap2:

This! A sweet sauce is necessary for a great carmelized bark, IMO.

bover
07-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Blues Hog Original here. If I want a little more kick, I go 50/50 with the BH and some Funny Farm BBQ sauce. That's some good stuff right there.

bigabyte
07-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Blues Hog, Big Butz, Head Country even. I also use Gates, but that's more of a local/personal thing.

boogiesnap
07-08-2011, 08:40 PM
blues hog smoky mountain...maybe?

SteveT
07-08-2011, 08:49 PM
I guess it's sacrilege to mention a plain old store bought sauce like "Sweet Baby Rays", but that is one I like, and is usually pretty easy to get....

SteveT

smokeyw
07-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Do you foil your brisket? If so, take the SBR sauce and cut it a little bit with some of the liquid left in the foil. It will be very good :becky:

I guess it's sacrilege to mention a plain old store bought sauce like "Sweet Baby Rays", but that is one I like, and is usually pretty easy to get....

SteveT

R2Egg2Q
07-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Blues Hog, Big Butz, Head Country even. I also use Gates, but that's more of a local/personal thing.

+1 on 1st 3 sauces Chris mentioned. Haven't tried Gates.