PDA

View Full Version : I'm a newbie...So....don't beat me up too badly please....

SteveT
07-07-2011, 08:38 PM
As I am a relatively newbie...but here are some of the ribs I pulled out about a half hour ago, and we had for dinner. Beef on the right, Baby backs on the left...
I tried something a gentleman told me to try with my "Charbroil Silver" smoker, and that was lining the fire box with thin firebrick and putting the lump charcoal on that, instead of using the grate. It took me a long time to get the heat up, and also to get it settled in at about 250 degrees.
I also used Mesquite instead of the Hickory, I have usually used, and though they ribs were very tasty, and also quite tender, the pork ribs for sure, did not really have the "smoke ring" I am used to seeing....

Oh...and though again, some may say "nay", I like to put some sauce on during about the last 1/2 hour or so....(I guess that's the midwest (Pekin, Illinois) side of me kicking in...

Anyway...here they are.... The big one beef, and the other two pork.... Sorry for the lack of focus on the second pic...

SteveT

Boshizzle
07-07-2011, 08:45 PM
THey look good to me! Nice cook! :clap2:

caseydog
07-07-2011, 08:48 PM
You are not officially a brethren until you are beaten badly. I still have scars from my initiation. The rubber hose wasn't as bad as I expected, but the cattle prod was brutal.

Nice eats, BTW.

CD :laugh:

Kcbigben
07-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Nice work!

Crakaveli
07-07-2011, 08:49 PM
look fine to me.

i would use a grate (on top of the firebrick) as long as the grate has clearance underneath for air flow.

BBQ Bandit
07-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Simple.

No lighter fliud
No liquid smoke
No boiling water
Crock pot is for stews, soups, and sauces... not for BBQ.

Welcome to the BBQ madness!

Dallas Dan
07-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Looks to me like the only thing that needs improvement is the blurring pic. Nice job! :thumb:

dealm9
07-07-2011, 09:13 PM
those look great. i dont know what you are talking about with the smoke ring but that smoke ring looks perfect to me. nice job:thumb:

SteveT
07-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks Guys!!

I guess with the Hickory, I would see a deeper/darker ring. Maybe the Mesquite doesn't look as dark...

SteveT

Black Dog BBQ
07-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Nice job, doesn't look like a newbie cook to me!

SteveT
07-07-2011, 09:22 PM
You are not officially a brethren until you are beaten badly. I still have scars from my initiation. The rubber hose wasn't as bad as I expected, but the cattle prod was brutal.

Nice eats, BTW.

Thank you....but having actually been shocked with a cattle prod in my younger days... I'll take the rubber hose...

anyway....back to ribs...

SteveT

redvert05
07-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Those bad boys look good enough to occupy quite a bit of my time, I tell ya! Looking good!

Gore
07-07-2011, 09:23 PM
The only thing that should result in a beating is not promising to send out free samples to the first 12 responders.

Old Smoke
07-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Those look really BAD!!!!! :hand:
Don't eat them......:cop:
Send them to me for proper disposal.....:wink:

OH!....BTW
Welcome to our forum of addiction....

Bacon_99
07-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Those look good!

bigabyte
07-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Looks really good to me!:thumb:

bigmo
07-07-2011, 09:39 PM
mmm...Tasty looking.

SteveT
07-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Those look really BAD!!!!! :hand:
Don't eat them......:cop:
Send them to me for proper disposal.....:wink:

OH!....BTW
Welcome to our forum of addiction....

The problem is that I already have another major addiction that I have been doing since I ws eight years old....and another forum I spend a lot of time.....but as I don't want to get severely off topic I won't mention it....

SteveT

sandiegobbq
07-07-2011, 09:50 PM
The problem is that I already have another major addiction that I have been doing since I ws eight years old....and another forum I spend a lot of time.....but as I don't want to get severely off topic I won't mention it....

SteveT

Let me guess....... Golf?

SteveT
07-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Let me guess....... Golf?

Nope....no cow pasture pool..

SteveT

Churrasqueiro Bob
07-07-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't suppose you have any leftovers you can email to me? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

SteveT
07-07-2011, 10:43 PM
There "are" leftovers, but, afraid they are going to get eaten.....and soon!!!

SteveT

Smiter Q
07-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Looking good from here. I just squinted a little to bring the 2nd one into focus. :cool:

cdollar
07-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Good to see you over here, Steve. Great looking ribs. I'd hit 'em in a minute.

Try raising the grate up with firebricks laid on their side, against the front and back of the firebox, and the grate on top. Charcoal on the grate.

Chuck

landarc
07-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Looks good to me, I think the smoke ring is clean through them.

EricF
07-08-2011, 12:01 AM
I tried something a gentleman told me to try with my "Charbroil Silver" smoker, and that was lining the fire box with thin firebrick and putting the lump charcoal on that, instead of using the grate.

I would use a grate (on top of the firebrick) as long as the grate has clearance underneath for air flow.

I too did this, my Brother-in-law suggested it to me though my application is as Crakaveli suggested. I think since I've incorporated the firebrick I use less wood to keep the cooking chamber at a temp of 220f.

Your ribs look good.

RevZiLLa
07-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Nice ribs! Welcome to the Brethren

SteveT
07-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks guys....

I really appreciate all the kind comments, and certainly the suggestions. I have had my smoker for about two years, but I don't use it all the time, so as I said, I do consider myself to be a "newbie", but will keep working at it.... :smile:

SteveT

Sammy_Shuford
07-08-2011, 12:11 AM
We all started some where! Good Looking ribs.

Next time post scratch and sniff! (Boy don't I wish)

SteveT
07-08-2011, 12:34 AM
We all started some where! Good Looking ribs.

Next time post scratch and sniff! (Boy don't I wish)

I wish too....I am seeing some "fine" looking meat on these forums....

SteveT

SteveT
07-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Good to see you over here, Steve. Great looking ribs. I'd hit 'em in a minute.

Try raising the grate up with firebricks laid on their side, against the front and back of the firebox, and the grate on top. Charcoal on the grate.

Chuck

Thanks for turning me on to this place....already learning a bunch!!!

SteveT

DaChief
07-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Nce job! They look right fine from here.

deguerre
07-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Looking good to me too Steve!

Johnny_Crunch
07-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Welcome and thanks for the pr0n. The ribs look good! I'm going to guess your long time hobby is not photography! :-P j/k :heh:

ClinkSmoker
07-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Hey I'm new to smoking and this forum as well... Those look fantastic, even through the blur you can see a enviable smoke ring. Nice work!

Q-Dat
07-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Nice eats, BTW.

Rubber hose!? Lucky!!! They used a car antenna on me!!!

Great lookin ribs!

SteveT
07-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Welcome and thanks for the pr0n. The ribs look good! I'm going to guess your long time hobby is not photography! :-P j/k :heh:

You are correct.... I took those two photos before we ate, and I didn't realize the second one wasn't in focus, and by then it was too late to re-take the photo... :smile:

SteveT

goatman1028
07-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Looking good. I hope my first smoke on my new homed made smoker turns out that good. I have 2 weeks to practice till 50+ coming over for the annual cook out. The usual grill/smoker I borrow is no longer available so I decided to build my own. Wish me luck!

QansasjayhawQ
07-08-2011, 04:05 PM
You are correct.... I took those two photos before we ate, and I didn't realize the second one wasn't in focus, and by then it was too late to re-take the photo... :smile:
That seems to be my problem - by the time I remember to take pics, it's too late!

Nice looking ribs! And welcome to a great place to hang out and talk BBQ