PDA

View Full Version : Paint or oil

cwiese
07-07-2011, 02:01 PM
I know this has been touched on before but here is my question. I have a
New Braunfels older model that is fairly heavy if I want to redo it is it better to paint it with high temp paint or to rub it down with some kind of oil and fire it up or do you actually paint it then season it and keep rubbing oil on it as needed to keep rust off??:crazy:

BBQ Bandit
07-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Refurbished my firebox using these steps;
1. clean down, strip down
2. Repaint using several light coats of hi temp paint.
3. Let paint cure at least 5 days (no fire)
4. During initial firing up... oil down with bacon grease.

So far so good... with a hardened oil sheen/weather resistance.

hamiltont
07-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I gave up on the paint on my CG Off-Set. I just hit it with some vegetable oil after each use. A 2" paint brush works great. Just let it cool down a bit & lay it on real thin or it will drip. YMMV Cheers!!!

Smokin' D
07-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Crisco is awesome too. Just wipe down when the cooker is cooling down and you will have a nice, rust free patina.

cwiese
07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
should I grease down inside the fire box also to stop rust?

hamiltont
07-07-2011, 04:22 PM
should I grease down inside the fire box also to stop rust?
You got rust inside or just asking if you should? I never have other than the 1st time I burned it in. Cheers!!!

cwiese
07-07-2011, 04:28 PM
There is rust in my fire box which is why I considered trying to oil it also.
Think it is neat you are so close by the way

tjus77
07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Refurbished my firebox using these steps;
1. clean down, strip down
2. Repaint using several light coats of hi temp paint.
3. Let paint cure at least 5 days (no fire)
4. During initial firing up... oil down with bacon grease.

So far so good... with a hardened oil sheen/weather resistance.

You don't heat it some to apply the paint?

tjus77
07-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Crisco is awesome too. Just wipe down when the cooker is cooling down and you will have a nice, rust free patina.

How often do you use your pit. I use my big pit minimum once a month, usually average about 3 times a month except in the winter (which might be as low as 1 every two months). I found that normal rainy weather will wash off the patina. Is that normal? Or do you have yours under cover?

Thanks for the help, I am about to refinish mine if I can't come up with a better solution.

BBQ Bandit
07-07-2011, 06:49 PM
You don't heat it some to apply the paint?

Some fabricators do that... to expand the metal. I did it @ ambient temperature.
Heating metal would be a near instant accelerated curing rate... not how the instructions on the paint specified.

Either way... its going to expand when hot and shrink when cooling down.
So far... haven't seen any peeling, cracking, or chipping on my paint.

If it does... no biggie.

Smokin' D
07-07-2011, 07:49 PM
How often do you use your pit. I use my big pit minimum once a month, usually average about 3 times a month except in the winter (which might be as low as 1 every two months). I found that normal rainy weather will wash off the patina. Is that normal? Or do you have yours under cover?

Thanks for the help, I am about to refinish mine if I can't come up with a better solution.

I'm lucky that all my cookers get to spend their off hours indoors and under cover. I do find that vegetable oil will always cook off and leave rusty areas, whereas the Crisco does not.

cwiese
07-08-2011, 07:19 AM
When you guys say Crisco you mean the come in a can Lard looking stuff right

Smokin' D
07-08-2011, 08:26 AM
That would be correct. Solid, whitish colored shortening it is. Made up of partially and fully hydrogenated soybean and palm oils. Not good for the body but great on the steel of your cooker! I keep a rag right in the can for quick and easy touch-ups!