PDA

View Full Version : Life of a BBQ Guru

brotherbd
07-07-2011, 10:57 AM
I know many of you folks have one of these little puppies. :-D

I'm considering one for my UDS and for future pits.

What kind of lifetime can I expect from a BBQ Guru? :confused:

How do you like it?

What do you recommend?

What else should I get with it? :-D

Thanks and blessings,

JMSetzler
07-07-2011, 11:04 AM
I have the DigiQ DX2 on my WSM 18.5 and I'm very happy with it. I have no idea how to tell you about a life expectancy of the device, but as with any electronic equipment, it's gonna depend on how you treat it. It won't hold up well in the rain :) I haven't had the opportunity to run mine from a DC power source yet but it runs great on an extension cord plugged into the AC outlet.

My only recommendation to you would be that if you are considering multiple pits, get one of the models that can control multiple pits at the same time. If you aren't running multiple pits at the same time, just get an adapter for each different pit and move your fan and Guru around as needed...

Jaskew82
07-07-2011, 11:16 AM
I have the DigiQ DX2 on my WSM 18.5 and I'm very happy with it. I have no idea how to tell you about a life expectancy of the device, but as with any electronic equipment, it's gonna depend on how you treat it. It won't hold up well in the rain :) I haven't had the opportunity to run mine from a DC power source yet but it runs great on an extension cord plugged into the AC outlet.

My only recommendation to you would be that if you are considering multiple pits, get one of the models that can control multiple pits at the same time. If you aren't running multiple pits at the same time, just get an adapter for each different pit and move your fan and Guru around as needed...

Agreed. I have one on my 22.5" WSM and love it. I have no idea how long it will last but I built a plastic shelter for it in-case of rain/snow.

I do wish I purchased the stoker though because I am considering getting into competition and the DIGI can only handle one smoker at a time.

JiveTurkey
07-07-2011, 11:22 AM
I bought one to use on my UDS but I never even use it anymore. The UDS holds temps on it's own that I find fussing with the fan to be a pain when I don't need it. I do like to use the temp probe to warn me if the temp goes high/low at comps so I can sleep but so far its never beeped at me because my pit stays right where I put it. It is a cool little tool if you like messing with gadgets and stuff. It's built solid so will last a long time. It will last longer than you will use it that's for sure.

Sawdustguy
07-07-2011, 02:05 PM
We are going on our 6th year with our two Guru's. There's not a lot to go wrong with them if you take care of them. Why do you ask? Nothing lasts forever if you abuse it.

brotherbd
07-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Sawdustguy, I realize nothing lasts forever, I just want anything to last a good long time if I'm going to put down 100's of dollars on it. :becky:

I appreciate you telling me that you've had yours for 6 years and I guess not ever having any problems. :clap2:

Nobody has commented on service and that would really interest me. How has the company reacted when there has been a problem?

I also appreciate JiveTurkey's perspective as a UDS user. I will more likely add another UDS before I get a stick burner but it's nice to know everyone's input as to their personal experience with any product.

Also I can't forget to mention Jaskew82's comment on making and keeping his in a plastic box to keep it protected. Nothing like rain to screw up valuable electronics!

I think I have even read a remark somewhere by one of the brethren that that had happened to. :shocked: :tsk: So far in the reading I have done on BBQ Guru's site, they have not really mentioned doing something like this. Seems like it would be a good product to sell, but that may open them up to liability if something did get wet and go haywire. BUt they know that most cook outside and sometimes it rains, even in Texas! My thought is they should probably look into waterproofing if it can be done. I know if it was an option of $50-75 for waterproof or very water resistant it would probably be money well spent and at least you'd never be able to say they didn't try to let you know that it needed some protection.

How about a picture of that box set-up Jaskew82? :thumb:

I'd kind of like to see the forum expand a bit and maybe have a review section where the brethren can review products, cookbooks, BBQ classes maybe even with ongoing polls so you we can all see what's going with any product or class others may be interested in buying or attending. I'm getting leery of the reviews on Amazon and such because they can be skewed by friends of the mfg., if not the mfg. themselves hiring people, or firms or little mfg.'s getting friends to cram the box in their favor :tsk::tsk::tsk:.

Once again, I really appreciate the input, please keep it coming. I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions and experiences. Trying to figure out about pulling the dollar trigger on a DigiQ II. :noidea:

Blessings,

TN_BBQ
07-08-2011, 06:53 AM
I've had my Guru for about 5 years. Only problem I've ever had was with the power adapter.

I haven't taken great care of mine and it's been in countless rain storms, FWIW. That's not the best idea, but it goes to show you that they can take some abuse.

HawgNationBBQ
07-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Had mine for five years with no problems and I am using it with my UDS. It keeps on ticking. I just ordered another one for my BWS. Great piece of equipment.

brotherbd
07-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Anybody else got anything to add?

Love hearing from yall.

Blessings

K-Barbecue
07-08-2011, 10:37 PM
I've had a Guru DX on my WSM for over a year now and feel it's one of the best purchases I've made. Love the "set it and forget it" feeling of not having to worry about holding temp. I've had no problems at all.

Oldyote
07-08-2011, 10:52 PM
I have a Guru Competitor (5 years old) and a Digi Q (new). I have had no problems with either one.