PDA

View Full Version : Non-sweet rub for ribs?

TWQQ
07-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Hello my brethren,

I'm a beginner to the wonderful world of smoke, but I'm a keen learner and I've been reading a lot.

I've got my sauce preferences down to either vinegar-based or mustard-based as I really don't like a too sweet sauce.

I've been trawling the internet and searching the BBQ books in my possession for a non-super sweet rub that works well with baby back ribs, but to not much luck. Basically, I love the alchemy of mixing spices, but I don't like my ribs too sweet. Apart from reducing the brown sugar, are there any rubs out there in the wide-wide world that don't go too sweet?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Can mustard-based rubs be used as a baste/mop for ribs towards the end of their Qing life?

Joe Steel
07-07-2011, 09:26 AM
From the recipe link under sauces, rubs, and marinades:

No sugar/No salt rub
Recipe Number: 1195316146
Contributor: Third Eye
Rating: Recipe Unrated
Rate This Recipe
Review This Recipe (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/../cookbook/review.php?id=1195316146) Serves: NA
Calories Per Serving: NA
Preparation Time: NA
Difficulty: Easy
Print Friendly Version (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/../cookbook/print.php?id=1195316146)
Recipe is Unreviewed Ingredients: 3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground basil
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper
1 tablespoon mustard powder
Cooking Instructions: Do not add Salt or Sugar Serving Suggestions: Use for Pig Candy

Wampus
07-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I really dig KC's rub out of the Brethren Cookbook. It's got brown sugar, but it's not overly sweet. Here it is:

KC's Rub
Recipe Number: 105
Contributor: kcquer
Rating: Recipe Unrated
Rate This Recipe (javascript:createVoteWindow(105))
Review This Recipe (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/review.php?id=105) Serves: 4 racks of ribs or a couple br
Calories Per Serving: NA
Preparation Time: NA
Difficulty:
Print Friendly Version (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/print.php?id=105)
Recipe is Unreviewed Ingredients:1/2 cup Brown sugar (sifted) For Brisket reduce to 1/4 cup 2 Tbsp Hickory salt 1 Tbsp Celery salt 2 Tbsp Accent 2 Tbsp Onion powder 2 Tbsp Garlic powder 1 Tbsp Chili powder 1 Tbsp Paprika 1 Tbsp Black PepperCooking Instructions:Combine all. Rub. This rub will work on anything, but is especially good on pork. Heat on this rub is quite mild. Substitute 2Tbsp of Tony C's (or Tony C's extra spice) for 1 Tbsp of the hickory salt and 1 Tbsp of the Accent to "kick it up a notch" OR Add 1 Tbsp Cayenne pepper.

I substitute hickory flavored "Bacon Salt" for the hickory salt and I do add the cayenne.

Good stuff. When I'm not using Simply Marvelous rubs THIS is my regular rub. Haven't tried a whole lot, but I liked this and stuck with it.

Lake Dogs
07-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Start with your own, mixing chili powder, paprika, black pepper, some type of season salt (I use Tony's Creole seasoning, it's VERY salty).

TWQQ
07-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks, you guys. I've been adding my little twists here and there to a Memphis Dust rub from amazingribs.com, butI'm looking forward to trying some of these alternatives.

What is the general consensus regarding rubs and sauces? Do most people prefer sweet rubs/sauces or non-sweet ones?

Bamabuzzard
07-07-2011, 09:41 AM
I prefer a balance. I like sweet, spicy and tangy equally. So I try to find a rub and/or sauce that has a good balance. It all depends on ones taste buds. Many people in today's society love overly sweet. One can tell by the sauce profiles that are on the shelves what Americans predominantly like in their sauces and rubs.

TWQQ
07-07-2011, 09:46 AM
I prefer a balance. I like sweet, spicy and tangy equally. So I try to find a rub and/or sauce that has a good balance. It all depends on ones taste buds. Many people in today's society love overly sweet. One can tell by the sauce profiles that are on the shelves what Americans predominantly like in their sauces and rubs.

I hear you, brother. So, what are your favourite rubs? I really can't stand the too sweet sauces, but I love BBQ. I made a vinegar-based sauce with a dash of salt'n pepper and a splash of hot sauce and chilli flakes that cuts nicely through the sweet rubs and fat content of pork. Also, a nice spicy mustard sauce works well, but I'm looking for nirvana...What do you recommend?

Bamabuzzard
07-07-2011, 09:53 AM
I hear you, brother. So, what are your favourite rubs? I really can't stand the too sweet sauces, but I love BBQ. I made a vinegar-based sauce with a dash of salt'n pepper and a splash of hot sauce and chilli flakes that cuts nicely through the sweet rubs and fat content of pork. Also, a nice spicy mustard sauce works well, but I'm looking for nirvana...What do you recommend?

I make my own rubs. I can't tell you the last time I actually used a commercial rub. It's probably been 5-6 years since I used a commercial rub.

If you don't want too sweet I'd go with something like this:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbls Salt
1 tbls Black pepper
1/2 tps cayenne pepper

This is a good non-sweet base rub as a starting point. Now if you don't want ANY SWEET WHATSOEVER then just eliminate the brown sugar all together and work from there.

TWQQ
07-07-2011, 09:58 AM
I make my own rubs. I can't tell you the last time I actually used a commercial rub. It's probably been 5-6 years since I used a commercial rub.

If you don't want too sweet I'd go with something like this:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbls Salt
1 tbls Black pepper
1/2 tps cayenne pepper

This is a good non-sweet base rub as a starting point. Now if you don't want ANY SWEET WHATSOEVER then just eliminate the brown sugar all together and work from there.

Cheers, my friend. I realise that pork needs some sweetness, so have you ever tried subbing the sugar for a sweet fruit like a shredded apple? I'm contemplating such an experimentation...

deguerre
07-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Cheers, my friend. I realise that pork needs some sweetness, so have you ever tried subbing the sugar for a sweet fruit like a shredded apple? I'm contemplating such an experimentation...

You could make a savory rub and then spritz with apple juice occasionally during the cook.

Bamabuzzard
07-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Never done that but try it and let us know how it turns out. If you're new to the Q'n I would suggest to you what I've seen many of the experts on here suggest to other new comers. Start VERY, VERY simple and work up. You want to learn how spices work in conjuction with the meat and in conjuction with other spices. If you have the patience I'd start with simply a salt and pepper rub. Learn how that alone reacts with the meat. Then each time add one spice to the salt & pepper, rinse and repeat.

It takes patience to that because our natural inclination is to want to jump in head first and throw together a 15 ingredient rub. But in reality someone that wants to learn the nuts and bolts of seasoning will start out very simple and work up. Good luck and let us know how the fruit sugar deal works out if you try it. :thumb:

landarc
07-07-2011, 10:29 AM
I have used a very basic Santa Maria style rub on ribs with great effect. I will add, you can hardly go wrong with The Rub Company Santa Maria rubs, and I hear great things about Oakridge Santa Maria from one of my trusted sources. Here is my very basic rub.

2 parts ground black pepper
2 part kosher salt
1 part chile powder (fresh, not old)
1/2 part dried citrus peel, celery seed, granulated garlic

Mix well and store in airtight container. Although it is better made fresh each time.

TWQQ
07-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Never done that but try it and let us know how it turns out. If you're new to the Q'n I would suggest to you what I've seen many of the experts on here suggest to other new comers. Start VERY, VERY simple and work up. You want to learn how spices work in conjuction with the meat and in conjuction with other spices. If you have the patience I'd start with simply a salt and pepper rub. Learn how that alone reacts with the meat. Then each time add one spice to the salt & pepper, rinse and repeat.

It takes patience to that because our natural inclination is to want to jump in head first and throw together a 15 ingredient rub. But in reality someone that wants to learn the nuts and bolts of seasoning will start out very simple and work up. Good luck and let us know how the fruit sugar deal works out if you try it. :thumb:

You are my master Yoda to the world of 'Q. I appreciate your teaching, and I will try the simple method you propose. However, one of the things I love about good BBQ is the magic of the rub...

Bamabuzzard
07-07-2011, 11:15 AM
You are my master Yoda to the world of 'Q. I appreciate your teaching, and I will try the simple method you propose. However, one of the things I love about good BBQ is the magic of the rub...

Now you're just talkin' all crazy and stuff. :becky:

caseydog
07-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I like to use The Salt Lick's recipe, which is just 2 parts kosher salt, 2 parks black pepper, and one part cayenne pepper. I sprinkle it on for medium coverage, not completely covered.

It has a nice bite, but it is not "burn your your mouth" hot, and it can stand up to a sweet sauce, although, half the time, I eat the ribs without sauce.

CD

caseydog
07-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks, you guys. I've been adding my little twists here and there to a Memphis Dust rub from amazingribs.com, butI'm looking forward to trying some of these alternatives.

What is the general consensus regarding rubs and sauces? Do most people prefer sweet rubs/sauces or non-sweet ones?

I like to take a basic store-bought sauce, and add honey and black pepper to it to make a sweet-hot sauce. I love blending heat and sweet.

I take SBR Original, and add Sriracha to it for chicken wings. You get the heat of a Buffalo wing, without sacrificing the depth of flavor or BBQ sauce.

CD

Ryan Chester
07-07-2011, 01:34 PM
The Rub Company Original Rub and Santa Maria Style Rub do not contain any sugar. The Barbeque Rub but not enought to come off as an overly sweet rub.

Sawdustguy
07-07-2011, 02:01 PM
I highly recommend the Slabs perk up your pork.

devious
07-07-2011, 03:23 PM
this might be the longest for someone not to suggest Ployboys Yardbird. so i will. Try ployboys yardbird.

Patrick C.
07-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Try the Rendezvous rib recipe from amazingribs.com - No sugar in the rub, and just a small amount in the mop sauce (from 2T ketchup or commercial bbq sauce in 1 cup of mop sauce).

kcmike
07-07-2011, 04:50 PM
I have used a very basic Santa Maria style rub on ribs with great effect. I will add, you can hardly go wrong with The Rub Company Santa Maria rubs, and I hear great things about Oakridge Santa Maria from one of my trusted sources. Here is my very basic rub.

2 parts ground black pepper
2 part kosher salt
1 part chile powder (fresh, not old)
1/2 part dried citrus peel, celery seed, granulated garlic

Mix well and store in airtight container. Although it is better made fresh each time.

Thanks, landarc! That rub recipe you posted looks awesome.

To the OP, a Santa Maria style rub may just be exactly what you're looking for. Here's a great pictorial by Tim (GreenLeafBBQ) where he used our Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria rub on some spares and cooked them in the true Santa Maria style over an open bed of red oak coals...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109738 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109738)

They looked totally kick-ass. :thumb: