PDA

View Full Version : I finally found tri tip!!!!!

Wampus
07-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Here in IN, I've not seen it anywhere. Most folks don't even know what I'm talking about! Last time I was at Restaurant Depot, though, I saw that they have a large cryopak of trip tip roasts. There's probably 8 or 10 in the cryo, which makes it EXPENSIVE!!!

I think the cryopack was like $85!:shock:

I assume I can just break it up, vacusuck 1 or 2 at a time and freeze, right?

I'm dying to try these, but didn't really want that many at once. I mean, what if they SUCK???:wink:

Johnny_Crunch
07-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Find some friends to split the pack with!

CarolinaQue
07-07-2011, 07:50 AM
If you have ever bought sirloin tips, chances are, you were eating tri-tip.

But yes, I would do as you planned and seperate them into 1 or 2 per bag. I'd even cut a few into strips for sirloin tips and kabobs!!!

chad
07-07-2011, 07:56 AM
If you have ever bought sirloin tips, chances are, you were eating tri-tip.

But yes, I would do as you planned and seperate them into 1 or 2 per bag. I'd even cut a few into strips for sirloin tips and kabobs!!!

Exactly. The FoodSaver is your friend!! Good score. I was thinking about trying to run some down around here. I may have to order it and that's always a challenge!! :mrgreen:

Ron_L
07-07-2011, 08:06 AM
The last time I bought tritip at RD there were 5 in the cryo.

bigabyte
07-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Buy it and split them up as planned. Be not afraid.

SmokinAussie
07-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Buy it all, Keep it all.... do not share. This is farkin' awesome. Q' it right and you will be a happy man!

Cheers!

Bill

deepsouth
07-07-2011, 08:20 AM
awesome man. keep 'em all.

speedrcer1
07-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I have found the local, larger butchers have them if you ask. But you are correct, where you and I are, they are rare and you pay more just because of that.

But, I have found them to be very worthwhile to cook. Almost as tender as a filet, but juicy and lots of flavor. Try it. You will not be disapointed.

Saiko
07-07-2011, 10:21 AM
That's how I bought my last batch. I think there were about 10 of them in a cryo at RD. I split them up and vac packed them individually. I think I have about 3 left.

In my experience, the RD tri-tips aren't quite as marbled as Costco, but they usually are quite a bit bigger. They freeze and cook just fine though, I had some left over tri-tip tacos last night. Grats on the score, now get cooking!

JMSetzler
07-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Congrats on finding them. I get a lot of dumb looks around here as I have been asking for them too. If they suck, grind them up for burger meat. I bet they aren't gonna suck tho!

landarc
07-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Kempis, you fool, you can't get tri-tip in Indiana. Now stop dreaming, get up and go to work. :crazy:

Yes, vacusuck, they freeze fine. Vacusuck in pairs, cause you are going to eat more than one at a time. It is funny, to me, as sirloin tips, they are very different from when they are cooked as tri-tip.

Midnight Smoke
07-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Isn't it funny how different regions of the US and the world have such different offerings. Costco here has them all the time in twin packs.

They are great if cooked properly but not so much if done wrong. I mostly screw mine up. I guess with a good number you have a few to practice with until perfect.

CarolinaQue
07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
It is funny, to me, as sirloin tips, they are very different from when they are cooked as tri-tip.

I agree with you...and I prefer them as sirloin tips over the whole tri-tip. Seems to be a better texture in my opinion. That, and it gives more surface area for marinades, other seasoning and more surface area for carmelization from grilling!!!:-P

byounghusband
07-07-2011, 11:10 AM
UUMMMMM!!:eusa_clap Love me some Tri-Tip!!! I used to Que them every weekend in Cal., but moving to Texas made it tough to find them. Now they are available at Costco sometimes and my not-so local butcher shop...

Need to smoke some SOON!!!!!

dresselbrew
07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I found them at Costco in Raleigh but had to buy the big cryovac pack. The meat guy said since they were a California based company they had them.

DaveMW
07-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I know what you mean Wampus. I FINALLY (after 2 years fo searching) found a butcher that can get them for me. Enjoy.

Wampus
07-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Kempis, you fool, you can't get tri-tip in Indiana. Now stop dreaming, get up and go to work. :crazy:

HA HA HA.....I know, right?!?!?!
I've gotten a PM since posting this that they are at Costco on the north side of Indy, but that's none too close to me and I don't have a membership there.

But, still......they are indeed rare to find here in Indiana, but......WHY???
I mean we have cows-a-plenty here!! Beef's a big thing here! What is it about this particular cut that seems to be not desired here?

I've never tried tri tip. With all the tri tip pron that I've seen here over the years, I've been DYING to reverse sear one or two! Saiko's posts got me hooked a good while back!!!!

They will be mine......oh yes............the tri tips WILL be mine.:becky::thumb:

Wampus
07-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Find some friends to split the pack with!

Sadly.....no friends here.:tsk:

No, this is a good idea, but the friends I do have here either don't cook at ALL or don't BBQ or grill worth a fark. THIS is why my BBQ is in such demand around here.....folks can't get enough! They PAY me to cook for them!:thumb::becky:

My brother may go in with me, but he's a cheap bastige....even more than ME!

Saiko
07-07-2011, 01:33 PM
This is pretty much how I do all of them now days. The only difference is I no longer add charcoal after the reverse sear, it gets plenty hot enough with the original charcoal.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94416

smokeyokie
07-07-2011, 02:22 PM
take the plunge and get the whole pack I had to do a couple to get it right and when I did man was it great.:thumb:

KnucklHed BBQ
07-07-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm dying to try these, but didn't really want that many at once. I mean, what if they SUCK???:wink:

It's a good thing you thought to put that smiley there... could start a real ruckus (yeah, I said it. Ruckus!) around here with words like that!

TT is in my top 3 for cuts of beef - can't go wrong! Congrats on the score!

They are great if cooked properly but not so much if done wrong. I mostly screw mine up. I guess with a good number you have a few to practice with until perfect.

Terry - you've said this a few times before... I still can't get my head around it, HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU SCREW UP A TT????? How is it possible? Over cooking it's the only thing I can think of... :confused::confused: And that's still not that bad!

Use the thermo, start paying close attention when it hits 105F cuz it climbs to 120 quickly after that, pull it at 125-130, Tent & rest 10-15 min and slice!

After a while you don't need a remote thermo in it, you just know when it's getting close...

Mr. Gray
07-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Tri tips are in every supermarket here. I see a lot of folks grilling them over direct flame and it's always painful to watch, although I've had some good ones cooked this way.
I like mine cooked similar to a brisket, just not as long...makes great tacos or cheese steaks with any left-overs.:-D

OakPit
07-07-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm glad you've found a source for TT. Very rewarding meat to cook and since it is from the sirloin, provides a great "beefy" flavor. As you know there are a million different threads here on cooking them. Like Landarc said - freeze them in pairs, you'll wish you had if you don't. ;-)

Cook
07-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I know it hurts coming off the hip with that much money, but remember this will feed your family for some time to come. At the end of the day it's still pretty cheap eating.

mcoupe
07-07-2011, 04:46 PM
This is pretty much how I do all of them now days. The only difference is I no longer add charcoal after the reverse sear, it gets plenty hot enough with the original charcoal.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94416

Loved your reverse sear porkchop recipe...so I will be trying this one soon!:thumb:

bbqbuff
07-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Love me some tri-tip. Just picked up a two pack at Sams for $3.99/lb.

Smiter Q
07-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Just got back form the store and remembered to look at the price.
Here at an H.E.B.(TX chain) they were $3.98 per lb.
IS that a going rate?

EDIT: Just saw above me a similar price in NM.

Wampus
07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
So I just got home from Restaurant Depot.

All the tri tip was gone, but there was ONE single cryopak of tri tip on the "Manager's Special" cart that was marked down from $4.54/lb to $3.18/lb for a 15.44 lb package!!!!

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Brought it home, got out the Foodsaver, cut it open and it was NASTY smelling!
:puke:

Called them and confirmed that I can take it back tomorrow.

KRAP!!!
I'll have to keep watching for more.

Midnight Smoke
07-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Terry - you've said this a few times before... I still can't get my head around it, HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU SCREW UP A TT????? How is it possible? Over cooking it's the only thing I can think of... :confused::confused: And that's still not that bad!

Use the thermo, start paying close attention when it hits 105F cuz it climbs to 120 quickly after that, pull it at 125-130, Tent & rest 10-15 min and slice!

Got to say, it's good to know someone reads and remembers my posts.

Let me clarify, I have only done a few of these. The issue I am having is comparing it to a taste of one I had at an Eggfest in Phoenix. The meat was so tender and the flavor was right on. I have tried a couple different pull temps and they are not terrible, they just did not have the tenderness I expected.

The only place I have gotten them from is Costco. I am starting to think it is the meat. I saw them at the local butcher and will be checking into trying some from them.

landarc
07-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Terry, there are a lot of tri-tip guys that marinate the roast prior to cooking, the tenderness may be from that. I find I can get close to that by slow smoking them, I mean like taking two hours to get it done to 130F and no more.

Chezmatt
07-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Terry, there are a lot of tri-tip guys that marinate the roast prior to cooking, the tenderness may be from that. I find I can get close to that by slow smoking them, I mean like taking two hours to get it done to 130F and no more.

I'm definitely in the marinating camp. I like to marinate them in red wine with some crushed garlic for a few (4-5) hours. Then I rinse 'em off, and coat 'em with a rub. Cook indirect until IT is 125, then sear hot and fast until it looks right.

The other secret to keeping them tender is to cut against the grain. If you cut with the grain, they can be tough.

Old Smoke
07-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Going to Costco in the AM and Tri Tips are on the top of the list....:thumb:
Sometimes I marinate, sometimes I use a rub, but the wife likes 'em with wooster and salt and pepper, cooked to IT 125* foiled, rested, and sliced.

Then it just seems to disappear.....:-D

OH! btw they won't SUCK! :shock:

Midnight Smoke
07-07-2011, 11:32 PM

That was another thing I have tried, slow cooking, but still not what I was looking for. I will check out the Marinade angle, I think you are correct on this. I only had one slice and after thinking about it, I'll bet the flavor was infused into the meat.

landarc
07-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Terry, I would give a thought to using a commercial injection, like Butcher's or Kosmo's if you can get a hold of them, they are better than what most of the bulk tri-tips are marinaded in, but, inject them with a good injection and cook them up. I bet that is what you are looking for.

Theboz1419
07-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Isn't it funny how different regions of the US and the world have such different offerings. Costco here has them all the time in twin packs.

Costco in the midwest stop selling them. I live by two Costcos and thats what they both have told me :mad2:

I just got hooked on Tri-tip too.

Trader joes have them but they are expensive and not that great.

Saiko
07-08-2011, 01:32 PM
I dunno, I never found the need to marinade a tri-tip, for the same reason I don't marinade a rib-eye. Never thought it needed it.
Guess I should try it at least once though and see.

landarc
07-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Mark, the original style of Santa Maria I learned had basically salt and pepper, maybe some chile powder. It was all about cooking beef. But, like anything that becomes mass market, people misunderstand and misinterpret. The need to allow a large number of people to be successful in cooking tri-tips on kettles and gassers in their backyard lead to marinaded tri-tips at the markets around here, and hence, all over the west. They actually do taste good, texture is different but a good texture none the less. I find them too salty now, but, that is preference not judgement.

Dave Russell
07-08-2011, 01:53 PM
wish I could find 'em here in middle TN.

Carbon
07-08-2011, 02:03 PM
I'd like to try them differently the next time I do tri tip. Can I slice them in 1/2" slices, marinate, and grill them?

landarc
07-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I'd like to try them differently the next time I do tri tip. Can I slice them in 1/2" slices, marinate, and grill them?
Yes, out here, they are called Coullote steaks and they are quite popular as a low cost alternate to more pricey steaks. They are quite tasty also.

TheDr
07-08-2011, 03:11 PM
They are plentiful out west, but not here on the east coast. As a California boy - and after living on the central coast where bbq = tri-tip - I crave them. The only way I can reliably get them is by asking my butcher and paying nearly $10/lb (for prime) but those are the best I have EVER had. It is what it is.....

I have cooked them over direct heat tons of times and its great - thats what all those people with Santa Maria style grills do - its overcooking that is bad.