PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to cool those leftovers?

Samichlaus
03-17-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm going to make approx 4 gallons of chili as part of our Easter party. What's the best way to cool this mass of super thick liquid. I'm thinking if I put the covered stockpot in the garage fridge it will take forever to cool.

Put it in some shallow pans too cool off?

Immerse the pot in a sink of cold water?

chad
03-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Seperate shallow pans is best - aluminum catering pans will work. Once cool you can put in freezer bags or back in the stock pot.

BBQchef33
03-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Winter in NY..

just put the post outside in the snow. 8)

but during the summer, I let it cool part of the way on the stove. Once its down to eating temps, i use the same ttechnique i use in homebrewing to cool wert down to 70 degrees before adding yeast. Put the pot in the sink and surround it with ice water. Then just start to stir. Keep adding ice as it disappears.

Samichlaus
03-17-2005, 11:37 PM
you're a homebrewer?

lol

I did that for about 10 years.

Here's my old set up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/samichlaus/brew_001.jpg

BigBelly
03-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Yeah, Dave has ya covered Sami.

Take that batch, separate into smaller batches and transfer into a few shallow pans. More surface area equals faster cooling. Or, you can do it like we did in the industry: Get yourself one of those hallow plastic paddles, fill with water, freeze it, then use that frozen paddle to sit inside the pan as it cools in the frig. Stir occasionally, more frequently the thicker the soup/stock/sauce is.

Mark
03-18-2005, 09:08 AM
It depends on how quick and to what temp.

1. spray it with a CO2 fire extinguisher
2. mix in some chunks of dry ice
3. dribble some liquid O2 on top.

BBQchef33
03-18-2005, 09:48 PM
you're a homebrewer?

lol

I did that for about 10 years.

Here's my old set up.

Used to be. Still have 10 gallons in secondary that needs to be bottled and all my equipment. I used to make it in 4 case batchs, never got into kegging. Still ahve all the stuff, but once a started q'ing, brewing got sidelined.

Bigmista
03-19-2005, 12:35 AM
Easier to buy good beer than it is to buy good BBQ.

racer_81
03-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Still have 10 gallons in secondary that needs to be bottled

how long has it been in the secondary Phil?

A couple years.

Now before you yak up your breakfast beer, hear me out.

Its airtight.

its in the basement.

its kept cool.

over christmas, i was going to dump out the 4 carboys.

for ****s and giggles, i tasted them. 2 were stouts, 2 were porters.

they all tasted like port wines or barley wines. They were very good, all very clear. Specific /final gravity of the stouts were 6.8 and the ports were close to 10. Think they all turned to mead. :) I intend to bottle one adding some yeast and a little mash to get to to carbonate. The other I'll just add a little extract or molassas to and see what happens. Should be interesting.

G$
03-19-2005, 10:49 AM
What's the best way to cool those leftovers?

What's a "leftover". People keep mentioning it here, but it is not a concept I am familiar with.

Neil
03-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Easier to buy good beer than it is to buy good BBQ.
]

Truer words were never spoken!

brdbbq
03-21-2005, 02:33 PM
It depends on how quick and to what temp.

1. spray it with a CO2 fire extinguisher
2. mix in some chunks of dry ice
3. dribble some liquid O2 on top.

Damn near lost my uppers on that one.

thillin
03-21-2005, 11:18 PM
fill soda/water bottle 75% with water and freeze. put some ice in a cooler. Place pot in cooler and frozen bottles in pot. Works well when I make stew.

BigBelly
03-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Great tip Thillin'!

Arlin_MacRae
03-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Still have 10 gallons in secondary that needs to be bottled

how long has it been in the secondary Phil?

A couple years.

Now before you yak up your breakfast beer, hear me out.

Its airtight.

its in the basement.

its kept cool.

over christmas, i was going to dump out the 4 carboys.

for ****s and giggles, i tasted them. 2 were stouts, 2 were porters.

they all tasted like port wines or barley wines. They were very good, all very clear. Specific /final gravity of the stouts were 6.8 and the ports were close to 10. Think they all turned to mead. :) I intend to bottle one adding some yeast and a little mash to get to to carbonate. The other I'll just add a little extract or molassas to and see what happens. Should be interesting.

As long as you're sure no air got to the beer then you're fine. I let my secondary's airlock go dry and I ended up with five gallons of German Helles that tastes a lot like green apples...bah.

Sami - do you still have that setup? That's SWEET!

Sorry to continue the hijack....