PDA

View Full Version : That frustrating charcoal bag stiching

Beerbecue
07-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Sometimes I get lucky and pull the right string but sometimes I try all four corners and still can't get the bag to unzip properly. Sometimes I have to get tough with it and cut the bag open with a knife. Maybe it's my fat stubby fingers, cuz my wife can usually pull the string right away. Do you guys struggle with the stiching string too?

Boshizzle
07-06-2011, 07:06 PM
My pocket knife takes care of all those kinds of issues. Screw the stitches. :-P

earthling30
07-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah I bought two bags of Stubbs and for me one come off like a champ and the other, well...., let's say I ripped it cause I didn't have a knife handy. So I guess I'm in the same boat with about 50/50 for me.

BlueHowler
07-06-2011, 07:11 PM
I never mess with the stitching. My Japanese Katana sword can open anything very fast.

If my daughter is practicing with my Katana I'll just use a pocket knife.

bigabyte
07-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Sometimes they give me trouble, particularly depending on the brand. Some stitch them up easier than others. I've been using Best of the West lump from Sam's the last couple years (and Frontier once in a while too) and I don't have many problems with their stitching.

The dog food I get has a cool little plastic strip you grab and it pulls the stitching out for you. Very cool I think.

Now, how about those strings of firecrackers? Some of those things are harder than heck to get undone!:mad:

yobtaf
07-06-2011, 07:13 PM
hmmm women pulling stings....:tape:

purplestarrider
07-06-2011, 07:14 PM
i get it everytime, however my husband doesn't. though i know why it works that way for him and i. he never checks which way to undo it.

BBQchef33
07-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Just light the bottom of the bag. It'll burn that string right off.

Sent from my Droidx using tapatalk and thats probably why the typing is worse than usual.

cholloway
07-06-2011, 07:22 PM
The 20# Kingsford I got last week has an easy-open zip top. Even I could open it without tools!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/cholloway/BBQ/KBbags.jpg

landarc
07-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Just light the middle of the brick of firecrackers, it will be fine.

I use my lightsaber to open the charcoal.

smokeyokie
07-06-2011, 07:35 PM
just a hint:thumb: listen too your wife she may be telling you how to do things... if you know what I mean:shock: Listen my friend:attention:shes waving you in!!!...LOL just joking around:confused: I use my knife...cuz my wife said soooo!!!!:blah:

NorthwestBBQ
07-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Just light the bottom of the bag. It'll burn that string right off.

Sent from my Droidx using tapatalk and thats probably why the typing is worse than usual.

The typing is...good!

El Lobo
07-06-2011, 08:05 PM
I just gut them open with a knife and dump em in one of those Kingsford caddys.

caseydog
07-06-2011, 08:14 PM
I can open Kingsford bags with ease, every time -- if I follow directions, and open from the front. Other brands usually don't work without the aid of a utility knife.

On Kingsford bags, you need to pull straight out, and don't pull to fast. Just straight out and steady. If it doesn't go all the way, then do the same thing from the other side.

On Kroger charcoal bags, I don't even try to use the pull strip. I right to the utility knife.

I will NOT use my 32 year old Puma knife to open a charcoal bag. That is a duty way below its pay grade. :cool:

CD

redvert05
07-06-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't even try anymore. I just break out the kitchen scissors and be done with it. Of course, I am also "challenged" to remove the fricking tamper proof plastic from the top of a cottage cheese container too!! :icon_blush:

I will be toast when they start child proofing the toilet paper packages! :-D

Terry

N8man
07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Utility Knife Is Your Friend....
Works Every Time...

strawboss38679
07-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Just use this :laugh:

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab183/strawboss38679/Kingsford-bbq-bag-single-use.png

caseydog
07-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Just use this :laugh:

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab183/strawboss38679/Kingsford-bbq-bag-single-use.png

Actually, Kroger "light the bag" charcoal is fantastic for lighting a campfire after a rainy day. :thumb:

I know this from much experience.

CD

Hoss
07-06-2011, 09:36 PM
It is VERY easy.For ANY stitched bag,sit the bag between your feet with the single thread facing right.Start at the end farthest away from yo.Simultainously(sp) pull the single thread on the right and the doubled thread on the left away from the bag.Sometimes you may have to pull the single thread through to the double threaded side to get it started but it will work EVERY time on ANY stitched bag.

Smiter Q
07-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Very appropriate topic of a thread. Just battled another last night.
Though charcoal bags are far easier for me than the dog food ones.
Those just plain suck and always make me feel like a spaz!

Boshizzle
07-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Myron Mixon, Mouth of the South, BBQ Gorilla from Unadilla just splits the bag open and lights the whole thing from time to time using lighter fluid. So, go for it and just burn the stitches off.

BBQ Bandit
07-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Easy... burn sticks!

Kcbigben
07-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Seriously? Just get stronger - this shouldn't be an issue ;)