PDA

View Full Version : To the Brethren who sell bbq sauce online.

Bamabuzzard
07-06-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm about to have my sauce to the point of being able to sell to the public. One of the avenues we are looking at of selling is the internet. But my question to those who already do this is, do people have an issue with paying the shipping charges on top of the $4-$5 bottle of sauce? It appears that if someone buys a bottle of sauce on an internet website the shipping is going to be the same price as the bottle. Am I wrong about that?

Lake Dogs
07-06-2011, 10:05 AM
You aren't wrong. That's the reason that when I buy online I generally buy by the gallon. $25+- for the gallon and it ends up being $5-$8 shipping.

deguerre
07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
If your product is good, I'll gladly pay the shipping costs.:-D

Bamabuzzard
07-06-2011, 10:42 AM
If your product is good, I'll gladly pay the shipping costs.:-D

Well good. I've been trying to do some market research as to what consumers are willing to pay for BBQ sauce online. It is very hard to compete with $1.50-$2.00 sauces on the shelves of Wal-Mart and other chain groceries. Then on top of that the majority of the market isn't "bbq enthusiast" like most here on the brethren. So you're dealing with "unedcuated" bbq folks.

Our strategy is to market the sauce via local mom and pop shops, local specialty meat markets, local farmers market and internet website. We'll see what happens.

jestridge
07-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Shipping does turn a lot of people off.

5-0 BBQ
07-06-2011, 11:50 AM
You are at the same point I was when we started. I started the company just with my sauces and rub. Then I decided to carry some BBQ accessories to help sell the sauce. I figured who would just go to my site to buy sauce.

Five years later my business has turned into:
A Retail BBQ Store
2 Websites
Amazon
Competition BBQ Team
Catering

The_Kapn
07-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I do not bottle and sell sauce, but I buy a bunch.

Several of the sauces are in plastic bottles instead of glass.
Gotta save a bit of shipping.
And less prone to breaking when I abuse them. :-D

I do not know the pros and cons of each--I am just a consumer.

Also, there are sites that offer free shipping to the consumer, normally after a minimum purchase. Big Poppas comes to mind, and there are others.
Might pay to hook up with them.

Just a thought and good luck.

TIM

BigButzBBQ
07-06-2011, 12:01 PM
The shipping is a tough issue to deal with. Once you start selling enough to have regular ship outs, you find that your prices can go down a bit. The cost of shipping does turn some customers off. That's why I don't even bother with offering up only one jar for sale on our site. Chances are, if they want to buy only one jar at a time, they are looking at purchasing other products as well. That's where other online retailers come in handy. We have a website but, there are also atleast 3 other companies selling our sauces online as well. It's mainly due to making single jars available for those that like to try a variety of products and also because those ones handle international shipping and right now we do not. Shipping is the biggest issue that I have to deal with whether it be for online retail sales or for nation wide wholesaling.
One thing I will say for sure, it's totally worth all of the headaches. :becky:

deguerre
07-06-2011, 12:04 PM
The shipping is a tough issue to deal with. Once you start selling enough to have regular ship outs, you find that your prices can go down a bit. The cost of shipping does turn some customers off. That's why I don't even bother with offering up only one jar for sale on our site. Chances are, if they want to buy only one jar at a time, they are looking at purchasing other products as well. That's where other online retailers come in handy. We have a website but, there are also atleast 3 other companies selling our sauces online as well. It's mainly due to making single jars available for those that like to try a variety of products and also because those ones handle international shipping and right now we do not. Shipping is the biggest issue that I have to deal with whether it be for online retail sales or for nation wide wholesaling.
One thing I will say for sure, it's totally worth all of the headaches. :becky:

Yeah, but your stuff is good so the shipping ain't no thang.:thumb::thumb:

rev0jace
07-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Just a thought what about those new Post Office one price if it fits box? I have not looked at the prices but wanted to toss that out there.

BigButzBBQ
07-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Just a thought what about those new Post Office one price if it fits box? I have not looked at the prices but wanted to toss that out there.

This is a good point, if your bottle are plastic this is a great way to go. In my case, we're all glass. Tried sending our stuff out this way for about 7 months and got sick of the USPS playing kick ball or slam dunking my boxes. My losses were ridiculous.
Things to keep in mind for flat rate, tracking and insurance are extra and in general, you'll want them both. If you are shipping glass, use bubble wrap or foam. But, remember, using either of these will add to your costs of shipping as well. It's amazing how much money can go into packing supplies.
For us, we use straight up crumpled newspaper. Yes, if someone plays kick ball with my boxes, backs them over with a truck, drops them off a conveyer from 6 feet, or leaves them on top of a 10 foot fence only to be tipped over, it won't hold up but, for most normal abuse, it holds up well and it's totally recyclable or burable. The best part is that you can usually get old newspapers for free.
A quick tip with the flat rate boxes, the boxes themselves are free, use it to your advantage. Order extras and cut them up to create double wall boxes. :becky:

billm
07-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Well good. I've been trying to do some market research as to what consumers are willing to pay for BBQ sauce online. It is very hard to compete with $1.50-$2.00 sauces on the shelves of Wal-Mart and other chain groceries. Then on top of that the majority of the market isn't "bbq enthusiast" like most here on the brethren. So you're dealing with "unedcuated" bbq folks.

Our strategy is to market the sauce via local mom and pop shops, local specialty meat markets, local farmers market and internet website. We'll see what happens.
dont overlook small local chains..not sure about your area but here in Chicago we have many small 2-6 store chains that generally sell sauces other than the typical stuff like Open Pit and Sweet Baby Ray's. And in order to compete with the lower priced stuff you have to be there sampling it out. I find that if people like something enough after tasting they will pay the premium..not everyone mind you but a good majority. The majority of my sales are through local chains

Whitfield
07-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I have a bit of an off topic question...How do you go about bottling your sauce? We want to sell ours over here but we don't have a commercial kitchen and the costs associated with building one would be WAY too much. Finding out the best way to bottle the sauce have proven a bit of a challenge. Sorry for the hijack...back to your regularly scheduled thread.

1FUNVET
07-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Let me know when and where the sauce will be in the Shvpt area. I'll get a guy in our office up there to buy some for me. We ship from our stores on a daily basis, so mine can just ride along for free. :thumb:

Bamabuzzard
07-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Let me know when and where the sauce will be in the Shvpt area. I'll get a guy in our office up there to buy some for me. We ship from our stores on a daily basis, so mine can just ride along for free. :thumb:

My Brethren you're in luck. I'll be in Lake Charles the weekend of July 16. I'd be glad to give you some for free to try out. You can PM me for details. My wife's aunt and uncle live down there and we're going to visit.

1FUNVET
07-06-2011, 03:17 PM
My Brethren you're in luck. I'll be in Lake Charles the weekend of July 16. I'd be glad to give you some for free to try out. You can PM me for details. My wife's aunt and uncle live down there and we're going to visit.

For some reason pm is not working( getting a grey tint to message and unable to get send button to work) Can ya try to pm me with the details.
Will be glad to meet where ever ya want including their place.

Bamabuzzard
07-06-2011, 03:32 PM
For some reason pm is not working( getting a grey tint to message and unable to get send button to work) Can ya try to pm me with the details.
Will be glad to meet where ever ya want including their place.

Just sent PM. :thumb: