PDA

View Full Version : Completely baffled...The magic has left my smoker!

Eclectic1
07-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry to bother...I need help from the experts...I have cooked many pork butts without any problems. Now I can't get one to cook correctly if my life depended on it. The last 4 butts were all purchased at different times and stores. They were all in the low 3lb range (I'm smoking for 1 these days and unless my mojo returns, I probably will be permanently) and all took 14-16 hours (at temps from 220 to 235) to reach 200 -205 internal degrees. All seemed to "hang" at 150 to 180 degrees for HOURS! Two were brined, one injected and one simply rubbed. As if 15 hours wasn't enough of a mystery, all 4 were tough as nails and DRY ! All 4 rested for at least 1 hour before being "shredded" (more like ripped/chopped as they were too tough to shred).I checked my Maverick its +2 degrees off/ Thermapen is perfect. I am cooking on a gas vertical smoker with the Maverick probe on the same shelf as the meat. I have searched, lurked and read but cannot find any new thoughts on what I could possibly be doing wrong. I've lost my smoking mojo...Help!

NorthwestBBQ
07-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Sorry to bother...I need help from the experts...I have cooked many pork butts without any problems. Now I can't get one to cook correctly if my life depended on it. The last 4 butts were all purchased at different times and stores. They were all in the low 3lb range (I'm smoking for 1 these days and unless my mojo returns, I probably will be permanently) and all took 14-16 hours (at temps from 220 to 235) to reach 200 -205 internal degrees. All seemed to "hang" at 150 to 180 degrees for HOURS! Two were brined, one injected and one simply rubbed. As if 15 hours wasn't enough of a mystery, all 4 were tough as nails and DRY ! All 4 rested for at least 1 hour before being "shredded" (more like ripped/chopped as they were too tough to shred).I checked my Maverick its +2 degrees off/ Thermapen is perfect. I am cooking on a gas vertical smoker with the Maverick probe on the same shelf as the meat. I have searched, lurked and read but cannot find any new thoughts on what I could possibly be doing wrong. I've lost my smoking mojo...Help!

You over cooked them! :doh: Better check your themo.

landarc
07-05-2011, 10:03 PM
I would change it all up, get a new smoker, hang out with women of loose moral character, drink more beer and break that slump up.

Or, you could give your smoker a real good look at the jets, make sure they are clean, run the heat a little higher, get a slightly larger butt, maybe 5 lbs (you got a freezer right?) and do a shorter cook. Leave the temperatures in the meat what they are, other than a reference point. Once it gets to 195F, then check it every 20 minutes until the meat probes tender.

mbshop
07-05-2011, 10:15 PM
that long at that temp makes me suspect the temp gauge also.

Eclectic1
07-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Maverick is off only two degrees. I have checked it twice. Honest!

Gore
07-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Personally, big butts are much easier to cook with. However, I think it could have something to do with the lack of women of loose moral character, as Bob suggested, ... or some combination of the above. I'd get a big butt and cook it like you always do. With the leftovers I'd put them in ziplocks and toss in the freezer. Smaller cuts are less forgiving. Much less time between getting tender and then drying out -- essentially, I agree with Michael above that you're overcooking. What you've described is almost a recipe for jerky. For smaller cuts, I'd use a higher temp. You might even consider foiling or cooking in an aluminum pan with apple juice. I don't think I'd pay too much attention to the temps though for these small roast. I'd go by feel.

Eclectic1
07-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks Gore! That makes sense. Before these last 4 butts I was always cooking in the 5 - 6lb range. How much of a higher temp would you suggest? I'm off to the butcher shop tomorrow!

Hoss
07-05-2011, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=landarc;1698911]I would change it all up, get a new smoker, hang out with women of loose moral character, drink more beer and break that slump up.

Or, you could give your smoker a real good look at the jets, make sure they are clean, run the heat a little higher, get a slightly larger butt, maybe 5 lbs (you got a freezer right?) and do a shorter cook. Leave the temperatures in the meat what they are, other than a reference point. Once it gets to 195F, then check it every 20 minutes until the meat probes tender.[/QUOTE

Sage advice!:thumb:

Midnight Smoke
07-05-2011, 10:50 PM
My simple Pulled Pork. I start with a minimum 8+ lb Butt, Rubbed with seasoning well. Cook at 230-240 Fat cap down, spraying quickly with Apple Juice every hour until the Butt is at 165. Wrap Butt in foil, spray well with Apple Juice and place back into Smoker, flip to Fat Cap up at this time. Continue cooking until Butt is at 195-200. Remove from Smoker and wrap in old towels and place into a dry cooler for 3-6 hours. Pull and enjoy!

NorthwestBBQ
07-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Nice, KISS recipe.

Eclectic1
07-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Thats how I'm feeling right now. Just like the last "S" in KISS. Excuse me while I have a :doh: moment!

Smiter Q
07-05-2011, 11:02 PM
3 pounds is kind of small for that long of a cook.
From how you described the meat coming out to the temperature posted
there seems to be a disconnect.

Problem with women of less moral turpitude is that when you find a good one they may hold the bad ones against ya!:tsk:

Eclectic1
07-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Eventually..I WILL catch that chicken...and when I do...I'll smoke it too!

NorthwestBBQ
07-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Thats how I'm feeling right now. Just like the last "S" in KISS. Excuse me while I have a :doh: moment!

Keep trying. Get a bigger butt. You will go far. :thumb:

Eclectic1
07-05-2011, 11:05 PM
"Problem with women of less moral turpitude is that when you find a good one they may hold the bad ones against ya!"

SQ, You are oh so very wise!:thumb:

landarc
07-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Having a bad woman held against you by a good woman sounds like the start of a wild night. On the other hand, nobody got in trouble tending a smoker through the night. I think a 6 to 8 pound butt is about right, but, I run the smoker 275F to 300F.

Eclectic1
07-05-2011, 11:09 PM
If I keep cooking at this rate I won't need to go to the store for a "bigger butt", if ya know what I mean. :wink:

For now, I'm a-goin' tomorrow! (to get a bigger butt). hehehehehe

gtr
07-05-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm guessing this should probably go here. (cover the kids' ears)

YouTube - ‪Spinal Tap-Big Bottoms‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzsWuqNlLK4)

NorthwestBBQ
07-05-2011, 11:48 PM
NSFW, but if you want to see what they are about:

YouTube - ‪Criterion Trailer 11: This is Spinal Tap‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZbHagBNY98)

Are they real or is it fake?

Brewer
07-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Maverick is off only two degrees. I have checked it twice. Honest!

I have an ET732 that's off about -6 degrees... So only 2 degrees is considered accurate - or at least by Maverick's tolerance range -+ 3 to 4 degrees... A calibration feature sure would be nice....

landarc
07-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Well?

malibuskier
07-06-2011, 05:52 PM
I like big butts and I can not lie!

smokeyokie
07-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Get a bigger butt!!!! more cushion for the pushin(smokin) small butts are like small trimmed brisket flats they are very tempramental and cook erratically!!:shocked: sounds alot like women:crazy:, try a bigger butt she will be more forgiving:becky:

Gore
07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
If you're doing a small butt, I'd go around 300*. You can do that with a big butt too if you want to cut the time, but I think with a small one, it's critical. And I wouldn't worry too much about the bad women. It's been my observation that women generally want to change you anyway, and that would be a definite confidence booster.

Eclectic1
07-07-2011, 12:17 AM
FYI (If anyone is interested) Called Maverick today to ask about the new 732 and whether I should get one of those or new probes for the 73 that I already have. The rep asked why i would get another unit if I already had one so I told her that the thermos weren't reading the same (while in boiling water) and were about 2 degrees off. She is sending me 2 new probes for free! Never even asked the age of the unit. You just gotta love that kind of customer service! :clap2:

Sometimes I am the windshield...Sometimes the bug! Today was a windshield day!

NorthwestBBQ
07-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Well?

Yes, Spinal Tap was a fake band created for meathead's movie.

h20loo
07-07-2011, 06:42 AM
How is your probe mounted or held on your grate? That many hours for three lbs of meat adds up to alot of gas.

landarc
07-07-2011, 10:31 AM
What kind of sales rep tells you to not buy a new unit? And then sends you free product? I wonder if I should have called them when I dumped my probe into boiling wort...

Eclectic1
07-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Probe is held just above the grate with the clip "V" shaped thingy (highly technical term) that came with the Maverick.

Landarc, the kind that I LOVE to deal with but wouldn't want to employ!
I was really suprised when she didn't ask the age of my therm. While I am glad that they are going to send me the replacements, I kinda hope she isn't there too long or she might make them go out of biz. One thing that I just thought of...Perhaps they are getting ready to close out the lower temp probes? and replace all of them with the higher temp versions? So she was simply eliminating old product? Yeh, I like that story better than the one where she is just giving away product and going to break the company. (Cue the Twilight Zone theme...) :crazy: