PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite way to cook corn?

Qing
07-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Taking a poll - There's got to be a bunch of different ways to cook corn... My favorite method is simple. I remove the silk leaving the husk on. Soak in plain water for a couple of hours. Wrap tightly in foil and place over direct heat and cook till tender. I basically put it on with whatever else I'm cooking so the temp and time vary with each cook. Haven't had a problem getting great results. The most I'll add to the corn is a little sea salt and butter. But if the corn is sweet - I'll eat it naked. What's your favorite way to cook corn?

The_Kapn
07-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Common topic here.

I cook mine like you do, except I do not foil because I want the smoky flavor.
Also, I do not remove the silk till cooked.

Here is a couple of recent threads to tide you over till others chime in.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110317&highlight=corn

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107825&highlight=cooking+corn

TIM

smokeyw
07-05-2011, 06:26 PM
I also soak the whole ears of corn in cold water before throwing on a hot grill. However, I never remove the silk until after the corn is cooked. I find it is much easier to remove then.

Qing
07-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Two days and a dollar short :redface: Thanks for the links. Other than the "Mexican street vendor" style, seems like everyone is basically doing the same thing. Guess at the end of the day, corn on the cob tastes good enough all by itself!

deepsouth
07-05-2011, 07:04 PM
clean it, olive oil, salt and pepper, grill (and at grilling temps, not for very long)

bbqbull
07-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Corn in the husks in beer fridge for 2 days.
2 hrs on my Klose mobile pit at 250 for 2 hrs.
1 hr. on a cookie sheet at 350 in an oven.
Silk, husks pull right off, just rember to wear oven mitts.

azken
07-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Interesting techniques listed above.

I may be getting lazy or old, or maybe old and lazy, but I husk and de-silk the ears, wrap each in a paper towel, run them under the tap, put on a plate, and microwave 2 ears at a time for 5 minutes. Butter, salt, pepper...quite tasty.

marubozo
07-05-2011, 07:59 PM
My favorite method is to pull the husks back, but not all the way off and then remove most of the silk. Then I just loosely put the husks back in place. From there it's on the grill above a high direct heat for 10 minutes give or take, rotating a quarter turn every couple minutes.

When not cooking outside I use a knife to cut the kernels off the ear and throw them into a pot of salted water. Then simmer for a few minutes until done. Drain, and add a pad of butter to the bowl and it's like canned corn, only 1000% better. :thumb:

1MoreFord
07-05-2011, 08:17 PM
There are a bunch o' ways to cook corn on a grill or pit but my fav way to cook corn is ole fashioned fried home style corn.

Allow ~ one corn cob per person

take the shuck off the corn
take silk off the corn
take the cob and position it upright in a large diameter shallow bowl
slice about 2/3 of the kernal off the cob in a downward motion
turn the cob and repeat until the cob is finished
turn the knife over and use the back of the blade to remove the remains of the kernals into the bowl.

Cook about 1 strip of bacon per person.
Roast or fry per your choice.

Crumble the bacon

Use maybe 1/2 of the grease - to your taste - and
place all ingredients in a frying pan
season with salt and pepper and cook till you're happy.

O' course some of this could be done in your pit.

Lytnin
07-05-2011, 08:41 PM
I keep it traditional old school. Shuck, throw in a pot of boiling water, 7-10 minutes soak, time ta eat. L'il S&P and butter.

caseydog
07-05-2011, 08:44 PM
clean it, olive oil, salt and pepper, grill (and at grilling temps, not for very long)

Basically the same for me. I give it a minimal wipe down with oil, sprinkle on some kosher salt and pepper, and put it on the grill.

This time of year, when sweet corn is available, I can make a meal out of it. I eat it as it comes off of the grill. No butter. Nothing else is needed.

CD

bigabyte
07-05-2011, 09:03 PM
I like the methods like described above. I also sometimes like shaving some fresh corn off the raw cob and into a pan with butter and heat on the grill with some wood chunks to give some smokey flavor.

Midnight Smoke
07-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I just cut the ends off and throw the ear's on the Grill. :doh:

NorthwestBBQ
07-05-2011, 09:35 PM
I just cut the ends off and throw the ear's on the Grill. :doh:

I hear ya, what's with the soaking in water? :crazy:

Limp Brisket
07-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Run each cob down a corn creamer, pour corn in pan, add a little milk, water, salt, pepper and butter and simmer for about an hour.

NorthwestBBQ
07-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Run each cob down a corn creamer, pour corn in pan, add a little milk, water, salt, pepper and butter and simmer for about an hour.

LOL! :thumb:

SLCMACK
07-05-2011, 09:48 PM
This is a pic of a piece of corn I did on the 4th, Mexican corn. Grilled the corn on high heat in husks until charred all over. Mixed up equal part of mayo and plain yogurt with 3TBS of lime juice and sprinkeled with a mixture of chili powder,cumin,cayenne pepper and grated parmeasean cheese although it calls for cojita cheese. We also had cilantro on the side to add if wanted. This receipe was taken from Chris Lilly.
Damn good corn, ate another one tonight!!:becky:

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/SLCMACK/2011-07-04_19-23-52_27.jpg

isolated01
07-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Shuck corn, rub with mayo and season with dizzy pig pineapple head and grill direct high heat turning often until caramelized. SWEET!!

gtr
07-05-2011, 11:44 PM
I actually ate some raw a few weeks ago and was shocked at how much I liked it. I won't be doing it every time, but it's a new and viable option for me.

NorCal Q Man
07-06-2011, 12:29 AM
I did corn this 4th a few different ways. The favorite was grilled over high heat for about ten minutes (rotating), then rubbed with sliced lemon, then sea salt. Simple, yet people were raving. This nine-year-old boy couldn't stop talking about it. I always appreciate compliments from the kids more. You know they're genuine.

cgarrit
07-06-2011, 01:21 AM
high heat in husk. butter and some lemon pepper

TIMMAY
07-06-2011, 04:20 AM
I shuck mine completely, make some honey butter with any kind of rub added, grill em for a few min to give em some color and hit em with the butter a couple times through the cook.

Lake Dogs
07-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Southern Style... Fried Corn.

DaveMW
07-06-2011, 06:35 AM
I remove the husk and silk, brush the ears with some butter. Often times we will add an herb such as tarragon to the butter. Grill until kernels are just starting to brown, turning frequently. I used to use the method that many on here are using with soaking in the husk etc. but we found that we like the flavor better if it is grilled directly without the husk. My other favorite way is to follow the same process using plain butter and then sprinkling a little chili powder on the corn and then squeezing a lime over the cob. VERY good corn like that.

yelonutz
07-06-2011, 01:49 PM
I remove the husk and silk, spiral wrap with thick cut bacon then a light dusting of whatever rub I am cooking with. Wrap in foil and put it on the grill.

JiveTurkey
07-06-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm grilling a few cobs tonight for corn salsa with onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. That will go on my burger. Oh yea.

Myrdhyn
07-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Most of the time I'm super lazy with it: Husk and stick in boiling water seasoned with equal parts kosher salt and plain white sugar until done to my liking (not mushy please; still slightly crisp thanks). When done: Out of the water, rub down with a stick of butter, sprinkle with some kosher salt and white pepper. I like white pepper a bit better for corn than black pepper

Carbon
07-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I like to see some char and feel some crunch on my corn. A light coating of olive oil, S&P, then grilled.

Oldschoolbbq
07-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Pull back husk,remove silk, slather (or dunk in the jar)with Mayonaisse and pull husk back.:rolleyes:
Place on the smoker (or grill) for an hour or so,then enjoy.No Butter needed;MW doesn't work as well:becky:.As for heat, we all lik,e our corn at different stages,I like mine just skortching the kernels.
If you have been to Mexico, you will have seen this,it's one of the street foods I will eat.:thumb:
Have fun and...

PDXsmoker
07-06-2011, 03:21 PM
I use a method I picked up from Japan, where I used to get grilled corn from the vendor booths at any festivals I went to.
I first prepare it using a traditional method, either in the husks on the grill, or if I don't have the grill space, I shuck and steam in the pressure cooker. Either way I cook slightly shorter than normal.
After that I take the shucked ears and take them to a med-hot grill. Grill direct, turning frequently while basting with a basting brush with a 50/50 mix of soy sauce and Mirin (http://www.kikkomanusa.com/homecooks/products/products_hc_details.php?pf=10511&fam=105)
Do this till just slightly charred on all sides.
The smell while doing this is incredible!:becky:
My gang fights for the last ear every time!:boxing:

In Japan they do it over long skinny grills with screens, and stick a bamboo chopstick in one end to turn and serve with.

I found a picture here (http://muza-chan.net/japan/index.php/blog/yaki-tomorokoshi)...

thirdeye
07-06-2011, 04:42 PM
i can add absolutely nothing new to this thread, but will agree that I like fried corn, grilled corn, cream corn, and Elote. Nuff said.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/IMG_0220a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%208/throwdown7corn2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%208/Throwdown7corn.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%204/Rudyscorn.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Eggfest%20-%20Casper%202010/DSC01909aa.jpg

orangeblood
07-06-2011, 06:57 PM
1. buy fresh corn and cook it on the same day
2. shuck them
3. spray w/pam
4. grill over mesquite coals
5. let some kerns get "burned"
6. pull them off, sprinkle w/chile salt and squirt fresh lime on them

Qing
07-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas! Lots of fantastic methods - never thought of lime on corn. Haven't tried fried corn - so that's next on the list. Thirdeye--:clap: Nice!

Daytrip
07-08-2011, 06:20 PM
I cook the corn first before starting anything else.

I pull half the husk and silk off and soak in watered down milk w/ kosher salt. grill direct husk side down to steam. Once the husks are good and charred I cook the other side over direct heat until it starts to char.

Then I pull it off, finish shucking it wrap in foil with a bit of kosher salt and a pad of butter. Hold in the oven till the rest is done.

It's as juicy as you'll find and you get a good mix of char and buttery tender corn.

boatnut
07-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Boil it till it's "ala dente", butter and salt, eat!!

Parruthead
07-09-2011, 08:32 PM
When I have to feed the masses we have two ways.

Small crowd's say 40-80 people we steam it in beer kegs that we converted. We just use the bottom half of our turkey fryers.

I'll post pictures in a few days when i get my outfit out. You can steam about 40 ears in a 1/2 barrel and it will stay hot for hours in the keg!

For large crowds 200-400 we put Clean watering tanks for farm animals on a trailer load it with corn and water and take it down to the local cheese factory and use there steam to cook it and in about 30 minutes it's done. I'm talking about 700 ears in 30 MINUTES!!!:becky:

wnkt
07-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Boil it till it's "ala dente", butter and salt, eat!!

I thought I was the only one gonna say that! :-D

seattlepitboss
07-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Recently, at a large picnic (~500 people) I watched 2 guys do a whole lot of corn. They had several tall pots of water on outdoor propane cookers that had a lot of BTUs. They used the tall perforated bucket style pans with lids to hold the corn. They shucked it completely, then would fill the pan with ears vertically, then into the boiling water for a few minutes, then out, quick drain (catching the drain water in the boiling pot) and immediately onto one of several hot grills. They rotated the cobs and served them with the usual sides. They were able to serve hot corn continuously for several hours as the line snaked past. Yum!

Sides vary. I like Mexican-style, but usually given a choice I just brush on a little butter and sprinkle on a little salt and sometimes some ancho chile powder, and eat it just barely cool enough so it doesn't burn your mouth hot.

seattlepitboss