PDA

View Full Version : UDS funny

TBS-BBQ
07-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Well, me and a bud went to our first local comp this past weekend. I got up Sunday and finished my UDS before the comp then took it to play with, no plans to compete with it. We had an electric (his, not mine), and my CharGriller offset that we planned to compete with. We show up and get set up and other competitors start gathering and asking "why ya'll cooking in a trash can" and other general attempts at humor. Well, I explained it to them, and again to some after they sobered up, and they thought it was cool, but not a good idea. We ended up using it to cook our brisket and butts and guess what, we got third. I've now got 2 to build for other guys who decided a trash can wasn't such a bad idea after all. :wink:

gtr
07-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Love it! Just finished building a UDS yesterday - it turned out some great grub on its maiden flight! Congrats on the call! :thumb:

Smoke & Beers
07-05-2011, 12:49 PM
I've done 5 KCBS comps in the last two years using my drums and have had calls at all of them, including 3 first places (2 brisket and 1 ribs). Sure, people look at you funny, and they are often curious, and the ones that do come up and "check them out" usually leave somewhat impressed.
But nothing makes you feel better than getting that call knowing that you're cooking on something that you made with your own 2 hands along with some knowledge help from the Brethren!

TBS-BBQ
07-05-2011, 12:53 PM
I've done 5 KCBS comps in the last two years using my drums and have had calls at all of them, including 3 first places (2 brisket and 1 ribs). Sure, people look at you funny, and they are often curious, and the ones that do come up and "check them out" usually leave somewhat impressed.
But nothing makes you feel better than getting that call knowing that you're cooking on something that you made with your own 2 hands along with some knowledge help from the Brethren!

Exactly, and the funny thing is, when I bought the barrel, I didn't get one with a bung hole. My son and I drilled 6, 3/4" holes in the lid, but due to lack of time, had no way to block them off if needed. We ended up using quarters from our pockets, so this first UDS has been named "buck fifty".

Gore
07-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Congrats! Great story.

Smiter Q
07-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Indeed that was some UDS fun you shared!

---k---
07-05-2011, 01:44 PM
That's great.

It sort of surprises me that people competing haven't heard of them. I guess there are people who compete that don't hang out here. :crazy:

bigabyte
07-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Way to preach the UDS brudda!:cool:

RJSkypala
07-05-2011, 01:52 PM
I did my third smoke on my UDS this weekend, 2 picnics. I also used my new maverick et-732 for the first time. It was great to not have to open the lid once until it was very near done. I brought the pork to a friends birthday party and got overwhelming good reviews.

deerslayer8153
07-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Good story!

I've been practicing with mine and I'm getting better at controlling temps now.

TBS-BBQ
07-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Good story!

I've been practicing with mine and I'm getting better at controlling temps now.

Yup, got some work to do there also. It was kind of windy, so not being able to lock the lid down was a problem. When nightfall came, and the wind died, that thing held 225 like it was on a rail for about 6 hours.

Johnny_Crunch
07-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Cool story!