PDA

View Full Version : UDS maker with decent prices

Wyley
07-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Found this today while looking for something else.

http://www.whitearcsmokers.com

This might be an option for those who don't want to or can't build one themselves. Prices are reasonable although shipping might be stiff depending on where you are. They are located in Gary, IN.

http://www.whitearcsmokers.com

Paul

CenTech
07-05-2011, 09:21 AM
I know at least one person on here ordered one from them and it came with the dreaded red liner. I think the company was good about getting the issue resolved but I never heard how it all ended.

colonel00
07-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Read this then decide:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108013

I have nothing against the guy and truthfully no personal interactions with him. However, according to accounts of others, multiple people were sent drums with liners even after being promised they were "burned out".

DC_BBQ
07-05-2011, 09:50 AM
I bought one and mine did come with a red liner. I decided it was simpler to deal with the liner myself rather than going back to him. I had it sand blasted clean. So that brought the cost up more than it should of. But the rest of the work has been very solid. The cooking grates are a little flimsy though (ie not Webber).

Mine holds a temp just fine.

brickie
07-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Don't know them,nor used them but sounds like a bad business to me.

brickie

colonel00
07-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Also, what is shipping going to cost? Based on the other thread and what DC_BBQ says, they seem to be decent as far as quality. However, with shipping and everything I would guess you are looking at $200+. I understand that some people aren't the most adept at mechanical stuff and using tools but it really isn't that hard to make one of these things. And, it will save you $100 in the process. Or, reach out to the brethren. I guarantee there is someone in your area (Nashville right?) that has built a UDS and would be willing to help you out.

gtr
07-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Just wanna chime in & say I finished building my UDS yesterday (with the help of my 8 year old son) & if I can do it, just about anyone can do it. I'm a little bit handy, but by no means nearly as crafty as some of the folks around here.

All it takes is $100 or less (or more, depending on what you want to do), a little time and basic common sense to build one without too much difficulty. Plus it's a fantastic father/son (or father/daughter) activity. I will never forget doing this project with my little one and I imagine he feels the same way - we both had an awesome time!

We all know about the UDS thread, which has great stuff in it. But this (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943) thread by Norcoredneck was my go-to - thanks Norco - you seriously rock! :thumb:

Anyway, point being I think if one were to spend $$ on a vertical cooker I'd look more to a WSM (hold out for the CL score if necessary) because it seems to me there isn't a lot of advantage to buying a UDS already built that needs to be shipped. If you have a friend that's putting them together, that's a different story, but the cost of shipping one would pretty much erase any savings of time/effort spent on building one. Plus, when you build it, you know the story of the drum you're using, which is key. If nothing else, I'm sure we all know someone who is handy and could either use a few extra bucks or would put one together for some 'cue and some brews.

Of course, that's just my experience and opinion, YMMV.

CenTech
07-05-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm no handy at all and I built one without any welding. It took 3 days while my two year old napped. As long as you have a drill you should be good to go. I have very little in the way of tools but I did have a drill and I bought the step-up bit for $40. That hurt but it made the holes pretty easy. With a 40 dollar drill bit I probably spent about 130 bucks and used all new parts.

El Ropo
07-05-2011, 11:10 AM
I'd personally avoid whitearc.

If I remember correctly, a brethren here bought one, and it had a liner. The guy at whitearc offered to take it back, but they decided to just send out another (burned out) drum. When the second drum arrived, it had the liner as well.

It's obvious those folks aren't up to speed on the whole epoxy liner removal routine.

Cliff notes, if you buy a whitearc smoker, you will have to disassemble it, remove liner by burnout, sandblasting, whatever, then put the whole thing back together. Now if you burn it out, you will have to repaint the outside. Doesn't seem like such a great deal with all that.

ssbbqguy
07-05-2011, 11:13 AM
There is a reason I charge what I do. My BarrelSmokers are priced signifcantly higher for many reasons. Their design using firebricks and high airflow intake system are two, let alone over 280 parts used, but mainly the cost of barrels or drums has changed, went up. More big buyers that used to buy new are buying recons. That changed the supply and demand part of the equasion. My overall basic costs went up nearly $94.00 for each unit( not all drum cost) since last October! Also, I am very strong about this point, There is no room in my company for selling something that would potentially harm you, the buyer for any cost. These so called purveyors that don't have regard for public safety,let alone know what product liability insurance is or use, really irritate me to the fullest. The prices listed on the web site in question have no valid way to be what I sell. No where close. Everybody has to look at the old saying, Buyer Beware, to be ahead of these types of problems. We powder coat, we buy new, we use as many NAFTA parts we can, use insurances and as said there are a high number of parts. My products start out new and have every step taken to insure a clean honest piece that's prouldly made in the U.S.A., delivered when promised. Since my units are not UDS cookers, I let many conversations slide. But as many times as we're compared it's only right for me to speak out against people making a buck and putting consumers in a possible health risk. Well enough of a rant. There are better options. Thanks. Steve.

sandiegobbq
07-05-2011, 11:50 AM
This is the power of the internet and having a community like this to warn people
from making a bad decision and possibly endangering their health.

Without a strong community many people would get burned.

Smoke & Beers
07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm curious as to the size of these. Given the rack space they have listed (562 sq in), they are using 26.7" diameter drums... For any of you that have bought these...is this in fact what you get?