PDA

View Full Version : I love "BBQ Folks"! LOL!!!

Bamabuzzard
07-05-2011, 09:04 AM
We had a bbq blowout at our house Saturday night. I did four slabs of ribs and an 8 lb pork butt. We did hotdogs for the kids. We had eight adults and eight children and LOTS of food. We were suppose to have 10 adults but two had something come up at the last minute and couldn't attend.

Everyone there except for this one guy had tasted my bbq and bbq sauce before. So after we said grace and the food line started people started diving into the pulled pork and ribs. I waited to go last and got behind the guy who had come with one of my neighbors. As this guy was fixing his PP sandwich he reached for *brace yourself my Brethren* KETCHUP AND MUSTARD!!!! He CAKED the ketchup and mustard on the buns. Then did the unthinkable!!! Put that precious, beautiful, hickory smoked pulled pork between the buns and fornicated it. I cringed but neve said a word. I just whispered under my breath "Bless his heart" and went on.

We sit down at the table and one of the guys notices ketchup and mustard dripping from the sandwich as he's biting into it. All of a sudden I hear "Doug, did you put ketchup and mustard on that PP sandwich?! WHAT THE HELL'S WRONG WITH YOU MAN!? YOU DON'T RUIN PULLED PORK WITH KETCHUP AND MUSTARD!" About that time the rest of the table (though not as harsh) told him that putting ketchup and mustard on PP is really doing a discredit to the flavor of the meat and the overall taste of the sandwich. That he ought to try it with just the meat and sauce. He said that he liked ketchup and mustard on just about everything. And admitted that he'd never eaten a PP sammich without ketchup and mustard. Yet he still refused to try one with just the sauce and meat. He said he has to have ketchup and mustard on it. But I just laughed at how my neighbor (who's a BBQ enthusiast as well) just came out of his seat when he saw Doug put ketchup and mustard on that sandwich. :boxing:

jestridge
07-05-2011, 09:09 AM
He like ketchup and mustard ,lot of people does, what the differance than putting bbq sauce on it.

Bamabuzzard
07-05-2011, 09:12 AM
He like ketchup and mustard ,lot of people does, what the differance than putting bbq sauce on it.

Oh, honestly I didn't care. If he wanted to drop his drawers and take a dump on it and eat it that would have fine with me. To each his own. I just love how passionate "BBQ Folks" are about bbq. The look on my neighbor's face was priceless. It was one of those involuntary reactions that if I'd had a camera it would have made a priceless picture. :thumb:

CenTech
07-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't personally, but if the man wants ketchup and mustard, he should be able to have ketchup and mustard. I've never understood the cooks who get offended when people put sauces on their meat or ask for a steak well done.

Bamabuzzard
07-05-2011, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't personally, but if the man wants ketchup and mustard, he should be able to have ketchup and mustard. I've never understood the cooks who get offended when people put sauces on their meat or ask for a steak well done.

So this thread won't go the way of misinterpretation I was not genuinely "offended" at all. The spirit of the thread is it was funny to watch the reaction of my neighbor when he saw the ketchup and mustard dripping from the guy's sandwich. His reaction was like someone had spit on his mama's grave or committed the unpardonable sin. I'm around people all the time that do what this guy did. Our church group goes out to eat to a steakhouse and I'll watch man after man baptize the entire cut of meat in 57 sauce to the point where there's noway they are tasting the meat. But that's their preference and I don't care nor does it bother me.

bigabyte
07-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Funny story!:laugh: That said, I think people should fix what they want the way they like it. Sadly, some people just don't know any better. That guy said himself he never tried it any different way, so he has no idea whether or not he would like it. Either way, I bet he still enjoyed it and that's what counts.:cool:

Bamabuzzard
07-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Funny story!:laugh: That said, I think people should fix what they want the way they like it. Sadly, some people just don't know any better. That guy said himself he never tried it any different way, so he has no idea whether or not he would like it. Either way, I bet he still enjoyed it and that's what counts.:cool:

Oh yeah. I could tell this guy had no clue about bbq and yes he enjoyed it. Him going back to eat two more sammiches proved that.

deguerre
07-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Oh yeah. I could tell this guy had no clue about bbq and yes he enjoyed it. Him going back to eat two more sammiches proved that.
I'd call that a success.:becky:

Lake Dogs
07-05-2011, 09:39 AM
LOL. I know the feeling.

I'm known in my circle of friends more for being a long time cajun/creole cook. I still have friends who've eaten at my house over the years but only recently have been able to show up when I'm Q'ing. It was last weekend when I smoked a case of BB's for a friend. His son showed up, and remembering some of my more spicy dishes, immediately grabbed one of the over-the-counter BBQ sauces that I offered (for the noob's). His dad reached over, pretty much slapped the kid's hand (the kid is 25), and said "NO, these dont need sauce, or if you HAVE to, use that sauce over there [Lake Dogs Competition Sauce]". There was a slight grumbling, he put some sauce on the side of his plate and headed off to eat. It was about 3 minutes later came the "HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWESOME" yell. ;-)

Everyone learns in their own time; their own way. I still get people who think my barbecue is good but not great, and darned if they dont always insist on slathering it in SBR's sauce (the flavors dont mesh well, IMHO). I keep telling them, but they keep insisting otherwise, never trying it...

Bamabuzzard
07-05-2011, 09:54 AM
LOL. I know the feeling.

I'm known in my circle of friends more for being a long time cajun/creole cook. I still have friends who've eaten at my house over the years but only recently have been able to show up when I'm Q'ing. It was last weekend when I smoked a case of BB's for a friend. His son showed up, and remembering some of my more spicy dishes, immediately grabbed one of the over-the-counter BBQ sauces that I offered (for the noob's). His dad reached over, pretty much slapped the kid's hand (the kid is 25), and said "NO, these dont need sauce, or if you HAVE to, use that sauce over there [Lake Dogs Competition Sauce]". There was a slight grumbling, he put some sauce on the side of his plate and headed off to eat. It was about 3 minutes later came the "HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWESOME" yell. ;-)

Everyone learns in their own time; their own way. I still get people who think my barbecue is good but not great, and darned if they dont always insist on slathering it in SBR's sauce (the flavors dont mesh well, IMHO). I keep telling them, but they keep insisting otherwise, never trying it...

Yep. I've had this happen to me as well. But what was weird was the guy ate THREE sammiches. Yet REFUSED and I mean REFUSED to try ONE without ketchup and mustard. Heck, all he had to do is try it and if he didn't like it just add ketchup and mustard. Now I wasn't the one trying to get him to try it. I don't do that. If he doesn't want to ever try it another way then God bless him. He can eat it how he wants.

Untraceable
07-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Love making mock cubans. pulled pork, mustard and pickles. Good sandwich.

Johnny_Crunch
07-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Great story, people are very passionate in their beliefs!

Bamabuzzard
07-05-2011, 10:18 AM

My taste buds just don't mix well with sweet baby rays. There's not much balance in the sauce when it comes to the flavor profile. To me a good, well built sauce is one that allows the consumer to experience different levels of flavor equally while not overpowering each other or the meat.

But that's just me.

NorCal Q Man
07-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Love making mock cubans. pulled pork, mustard and pickles. Good sandwich.

Yum!

daninnewjersey
07-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I think that's hilarious. Some people are very passionate about bbq......I bet his eyes almost popped out of his head.....great story.....:becky::becky:

Gore
07-05-2011, 10:27 AM
I've seen it before and I always get a chuckle out of it.

Bamabuzzard
07-05-2011, 10:29 AM
I think that's hilarious. Some people are very passionate about bbq......I bet his eyes almost popped out of his head.....great story.....:becky::becky:

I definitely think it caught him off guard. :shock: But he somewhat redeemed himself by not putting ketchup and mustard on the ribs...

NorCal Q Man
07-05-2011, 11:13 AM
I definitely think it caught him off guard. :shock: But he somewhat redeemed himself by not putting ketchup and mustard on the ribs...

I think I would have to speak up if he did that.

chad
07-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Same scenario with "beans/no-beans" in chili, no ketchup on a Chicago dog, okra/no okra in gumbo, etc.

Nice that your posse stepped up to explain chapter and verse! However, if he likes his sandwich with red and yellow sauces it's definitely his preference!!

Sounds like a great get together.

Bamabuzzard
07-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Same scenario with "beans/no-beans" in chili, no ketchup on a Chicago dog, okra/no okra in gumbo, etc.

Nice that your posse stepped up to explain chapter and verse! However, if he likes his sandwich with red and yellow sauces it's definitely his preference!!

Sounds like a great get together.

Oh yeah. We all had a blast. Great fellowship amongst good neighbors.

landarc
07-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Hey, he just wanted a little bit of Kansas City and a little bit of the Carolinas, he wanted it all. :clap2:

I worked at a restaurant where the chef would not put salt and pepper on the table, he said his food did not require re-seasoning.

Fletch711
07-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Without giving away "secret ingredients" my Pulled pork always contains mustard and ketchup. That said, when cooking for the masses I spread my BBQ sauce over the pulled pork pan in a zig zag pattern. Then place extra sauce and spoons to the side.

The only shock and owe I get down here is when I pile a sandwich full of slaw and pulled pork. That's how I grew up eating PP sandwiches.