PDA

View Full Version : Brinkman Smokers??

BIGBrandon2785
07-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Im done with my Brinkman smoker,its the barrel shaped one.I can never get the temps right and have only had 1 decent cook on it out of at least 15.

Yesterday I fired it up cuz my other grill was over loaded,normally I cant get it hot enough so I threw about 8 pork steaks on it and let it sit for 20 minutes or so.I go back and everything is fine,so I go back in and let it sit for bout a hour.I go back out and the red paint was turning black(I think this aint good) I raise the lid and everything is TOAST!!!.

I had to run the store and buy more,it a big ordeal.Maybe my fault for leaving it for a hour??But I cant work the thing.

JMSetzler
07-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Those things can make some good Q but they do require a lot of babysitting and patience.

Harbormaster
07-05-2011, 12:14 AM
The answer to your problem, Big Brandon, can be found in my signature.

RevZiLLa
07-05-2011, 12:26 AM
I learned a lot with my brinkmans and made some might good Q. The newer models don't seal all that well...

TWQQ
07-05-2011, 01:25 AM
I did my first smoke on my modified ECB yesterday, and it went pretty well. Sure, I had to add new charcoal 3 times during a 5 hour smoke, but apart from that it was good!

bigabyte
07-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Stash away a hundred or two and Scour Craiglist. You may find a 22" WSM, or at least an 18" one.

El Ropo
07-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Those things can make some good Q but they do require a lot of babysitting and patience.

When properly modded, they work just like a WSM. They do need a raised charcoal grate, a way to control intake, a better seal around lid, and proper exhaust. When all of that is done, they will cruise for hours and hours with little to no babysitting.

Right out of the box, they aren't worth the time and effort, but with proper mods, they cook like a dream. The only downside is the 15" cooking surface, you can't fit larger pieces of meat, and have to either cut ribs in half, or just cut off a couple of end bones so the rest of slab will fit.

I have about $80 total investment in my ECB, and it works just as well as my UDS, just on a smaller scale.

Lake Dogs
07-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Did you allow the fire and smoker to come up to temperate and the fuel to mature before you put the meats on? For mine (both my very old Brinkman Stillwater and my Lang) they take 45 minutes+- to settle in. I can walk away from the Brinkman for 30 minutes perhaps, but not an hour. The Lang, storing a lot more fuel, I usually can get away with 45 minutes... However, I now use Maverick ET's religiously, so when I walk away I'm not really away.

Carbon
07-05-2011, 11:11 AM
I recently converted and made all essentials mods on an electric Gourmet (red bullet smoker) and turned it into an efficient charcoal unit. It can hold 250F for 10 hours on a single chimney of briquettes.

davio
07-06-2011, 01:31 AM
I have one of the old open bottom stainless brinkman smokers that does elec and charc. Hard to run in Dec but makes good jerky! Havent heard about the mods. Anyone have the link?
Thanks

toddrod
07-06-2011, 05:31 AM
You could convert it to gas with an "Afterburner" from gassmoker.com. Realitively inexpensive and works really well. I ran one on an ECB many years ago.