PDA

View Full Version : First butt - mixed results

reakin
07-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Thought I'd smoke a feast for two today, just me and the GF. Had a small 3 lb boneless butt that I got on the smoker at 12:15PM. Thought with temps averaging around 265 or so on my cheapo offset I'd be pulling that off the heat at 4:45 - 5:00. Nope, that sucker took until 8:00 to get to 200 degrees everywhere I probed. Can't for the life of me figure out what took so long. I also had some beans on the smoker, ended up way overcooked. The fatty I had on turned out fantastic, will definitely be experimenting with more of those. Had a couple pounds of redskin potatoes in a dutch oven. Those are always a hit. Just wish I had an idea why the butt didn't want to come up to temp. Sure was delicious once it did though.

Sorry, no pron. Don't have a camera.

reakin

bigabyte
07-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Chalk it up to a learning lesson. Things get easier as you go. I remember fighting times when I was starting out.

RPA
07-04-2011, 11:13 PM
I know next to nothing but I wonder if you had it too cold when you put it on the grill. I have learned to put out the meat, covered of course, for a long time before it goes on the grill. My good friend told me room temperature. I have a hard time doing that but it definetly helps to bring it up to something a good deal more than refridgerator temperature. The thing is the meat is still so cold in the center and it has to come from say 37-38 degrees up to 200 instead of 50-60 degrees to 200. That also is magnified when the meat has a bones in it...

JMSetzler
07-04-2011, 11:15 PM
I have never tried a butt that small before so I would have expected it to cook quicker too but if I have learned anything here, it's that a butt is done when its done and not a minute before :)

ZouBBQ
07-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Did you open the lid much? It can really make a big difference. I smoked 4 butts the other day and opened once once for a temp check, and again to foil. That was it for a roughly 9 hour smoke at 275ish

Smiter Q
07-04-2011, 11:38 PM
I started of with a really inexpensive cheap weber mock up. I started to get a better handle on it when I bought a $5 oven thermometer and kept on the cooking grate right next to the meat. This way I knew EXACTLY what the temp was at the meat. I never looked back, and still use an oven thermometer next to my meat. If your thermometer is a lid one, and in a cheap knock off... it may not be accurate. Now this might not be the case... but it was for me

NorCal Q Man
07-04-2011, 11:50 PM
It seems to me that the small butts take longer per pound. I had one the other day that wasn't quite 4 lbs and took 9 hours at about 250. I didn't open it a single time during the cook. Go figure.

J'ville Grill
07-05-2011, 12:10 AM
I have never tried a butt that small before so I would have expected it to cook quicker too but if I have learned anything here, it's that a butt is done when its done and not a minute before :)

+1 Couldn't have said it better.

Lake Dogs
07-05-2011, 07:13 AM
I'll bet money the culprit is one or both of two things:

1) opening it up to see what's going on

2) the temperature you're quoting is the temperature on the external mounted thermometer; not the surface temperature next to the butt. A butt that small should be done at about 3 to 4 hours IF the temperature next to them was as you'd described. That time; probably cooking around 220 to 225+-.

Frank Grimes
07-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Lake Dog is right on, that's what I was going to suggest as well. Get an oven therm to set on the grate to get a real idea of that temp the food is cooking at.