PDA

View Full Version : Loose legs on Weber 22.5 OTG?

kevine
07-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I picked up a used Weber 22.5 OTG. Great condition, but I've noticed the legs on it are wobbling. I replaced all three screws (one per leg) and it still wobbles. Does anyone else have this issue with their OTG and if so, can I just tap a second hole into each leg and add a second screw?

Thanks in advance.

bigabyte
07-04-2011, 09:35 PM
A second screw, or maybe even drilling and using a nut and bolt to make them permanent should do the trick.

mbshop
07-04-2011, 09:44 PM
i use a pipe that fits inside and bang on it while rotating the leg and it expands the leg so it will fit tight. many like to fit a wood dowel/broomstick into the top of the leg and then screw it in as you have.

kevine
07-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the tips. I may try the wood dowel witht the nut/bolt idea so it'll be more solid AND I can tighten it down. Great ideas again!

Old Smoke
07-04-2011, 10:39 PM
I used "pop" rivets.

cheez
07-04-2011, 11:29 PM
I think that the "inconvenience" of having loose-fitting legs on a Weber becomes a "convenience" when it is time to transport said Weber to a remote grilling site. At least twice now, when I have been picking up a "rescue" Weber found on Craigslist, I have asked the seller to hold the grill while I remove the legs from it, only to hear "Wow, you must really know about these grills". I'm not sure what keeps the legs inserted into my Weber, but I am pretty sure that gravity keeps the Weber on it's legs.....

RPA
07-04-2011, 11:40 PM
I have two Webers. They both are loose to some extent. I am gentle with them. The rack thing that goes between the legs helps a bunch with keeping things triangulated.... Like how I use the big words in there?:becky:

Smiter Q
07-04-2011, 11:49 PM
ummm.... nevermind :oops:

Harbormaster
07-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Weber legs are held in by a dimple in the housing into which the legs are inserted.

The aluminum the legs are made out of is thinner than older generations of kettles. The current aluminum legs become misshapen where they meet the dimple, and the dimple no longer holds the leg in place.

The dowel in the legs works for a while, but the kettle gets hot enough to actually start burning that wood. I discovered that on my OTG yesterday when I took the wood out.

The best fix (that I have found) is a 3" piece of conduit jammed/pounded inside the aluminum leg, and the leg then pounded into the housing on the kettle. I did this to three kettles this weekend (2 newer, one pre 79) and it worked really well on the newer kettles, not so much on the pre 79. (The aluminum legs on the pre 79 are much thicker, and it's much harder to pound the conduit into. It is also MUCH harder to get the leg into the housing, to the point that it bends the kettle bowl. I would not make this mod on a pre 79 again.) the conduit is less likely to become deformed inside the housing, and the legs will remain sturdy because of it. I had previously screwed the legs of the OTG in when there was a wood insert, so I used self tapping screws and secured them again into the conduit insert. Worked like a champ. Also did this on an N 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle my oldest son and I restored ('cept I didn't screw the legs in, didn't need it and I didn't want to drill the housings).

kevine
07-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks again for all the great tips. I'm going to work on it next weekend before trying some spares. Never done them on a kettle, so I'm going to try some indirect with it for the first time.

J'ville Grill
07-05-2011, 02:04 AM
I bet it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate new legs. All you would need is the tubing, a bench vise and a drill
I remember seeing a post on here where some one fabricated new longer legs out of shower curtain rod that he got from Homedepot