PDA

View Full Version : This might seem like a dumb brisket question but I gotta ask

brotherbd
07-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm sure this has been addressed before but I can't find the answer easily so I'm just going to ask and end my ignorance. :help:

Set-up:

I'm planning to do a Hot-N-Fast Brisket cook on my UDS.

Once I hit target temp of 200*F I'm going to pull and wrap in foil to rest.

Can I let it rest in a warm oven (170*F) instead of in my ice chest for the several hours needed to get to brisket tenderness nirvana or should I really put in in the ice chest? :noidea:

Thanks in advance.

I going out to fire up my UDS now, I'll check back in a bit. :pop2:

Blessings,

rogwadd
07-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Read my post
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110318

Pitmaster T gave me some good advice and my brisket turned out great. Donnie suggested turning the oven off and let it rest there.

Good luck.
Roger

bigabyte
07-04-2011, 04:08 PM
I tried keeping it warm in the oven at 150 once and thought it turned out dryer than in the cooler. One time does not mean it does not work that way though, it could have just been that particular brisket. I say go for it.

smokeyokie
07-04-2011, 04:34 PM
your target temp of 200 looks ok but always probe for tenderness, probe should go in with little resistance in the flat, I also prefer once tender to pull wrap in foil and towels and leave in a cooler. just my .02 cents:-D

landarc
07-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I also would not go just by temperature, check for tenderness by feel.

If you cooked it in the oven, then turned it off, that will work great, the temperatures coast down and bring the meat along with it. I like this, as once I determine the meat is done, I let it run back to temp, just a few minutes, then I shut it down, no door opening at all. I tend not to do this with meat not being cooked in the oven. I like to cooler as well. My reasoning is there is residual moisture if you cooked it in the oven, if the oven has not been cooked in, the heat is going to be dry, it will tend to dry meat if there is any water left from the collagen breaking down. Then again, I could be wrong.

caseydog
07-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Like they say in Arizona, "it's dry heat."

The problem you MAY run into if you wrap in foil and put it into the oven is that the oven may be full of dry heat.

A foil wrapped brisket wrapped in towels in a cooler will be in a moist environment.

I have not tried doing it in an oven, so I have no real evidence to present, but my gut tells me that a hot and moist environment will be better.

You can always be the guinea pig and tell us how it works out. :-D

CD

sharks_guy
07-04-2011, 04:59 PM
I did it once and my brisket was mush. Not sure if the "170" oven was really not 170, or what. Depending on how long it needs to sit, putting it in an oven that is off should be the same as putting it in a cooler. The square footage should be about the same and the insulating capabilities should be equal as well.

If you need to store it longer than a few hours, then maybe an hour or two at 170, but then as someone said earlier, I would turn it off a few hours before serving.

Good Luck,

I'm sure this has been addressed before but I can't find the answer easily so I'm just going to ask and end my ignorance. :help:

Set-up:

I'm planning to do a Hot-N-Fast Brisket cook on my UDS.

Once I hit target temp of 200*F I'm going to pull and wrap in foil to rest.

Can I let it rest in a warm oven (170*F) instead of in my ice chest for the several hours needed to get to brisket tenderness nirvana or should I really put in in the ice chest? :noidea:

Thanks in advance.

I going out to fire up my UDS now, I'll check back in a bit. :pop2:

Blessings,

brotherbd
07-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I helped PitmasterT with a Pork Butt cook for his church last year.
PinmasterT was definitely Yoda to my Luke. I asked many questions and we discussed many things both BBQ and non-BBQ related. Never quite got around to this particular question, but we had a hard time with the Brazos in the cold with a light rain. When the butts got to the temp he was looking for, to make sure they were cooked, but not tender we pulled them and wrapped them in plastic wrap and loaded up the big warmer at the church as well as the ovens as low as they could go and went home to sleep. Next morning when we came back, they were butter on a bun. Good stuff!

Anyway, Iím going to play it by the book. Separate the point to back for burnt ends and wrap the flat and into the cooler to sit a spell. Iíll definitely check to make sure itís tender first.

Gotta try to remember to take pics this time. Itís tough to handle hot meat and a camera at the same time!

Blessings,

Ron_L
07-04-2011, 05:48 PM
One difference between the cooler (or cambro) and the oven is the active heat source in the oven. Even though it may be set to 170 (the lowest that my oven will go), it is providing additional heat where the cooler is passive and doesn't contribute any more heat to the environment. I've never tried holding a brisket in the oven, but I can see where it may dry out of end up mushy.