PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question...

Im a Walrus
07-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I see many on here like to take smoked meat and put it in the cooler for an hour or more after cooking. Forgive a rookie, but please walk me through this. What does it do (for ribs and brisket, for example)? How long is ideal? Do you keep it wrapped in foil or anything else or just put it in the cooler? How do you get it hot for serving after storing in the cooler?

Thanks!

chachahut
07-04-2011, 01:11 PM
The "cooler" will keep meat hot for a few hours - well as long as you have not filled it with ice. A cooler can be used as an insulated holding cabinet to keep meat hot while waiting to serve.

It is also important to let meat rest before cutting it. This will allow the juices to be re-absorbed by the meat. Wrapping the meat in foil is necessary to keep the juices & meat together. How long of a rest depends in the meat. I usually let brisket & pork rest about an hour, but ribs rest only about half an hour. It's really mostly a preference thing & what works for you.

Ron_L
07-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I only rest briskets and butts in a cooler, not ribs. The rest time gives the juices a chance to recirculate throughout the meat. I used a dry, preheated cooler (preheat it with hot water) and clean towels for insulation all around the meat (wrap the meat in a couple of layers of foil.

I shoot for at least two hours rest. The rest time is also a good buffer in case the meat takes longer than expected to cook.

jestridge
07-04-2011, 01:20 PM
The cooler I have will keep it hot for at least 3 hours. It also according how much you put in one also new paper is also a good insulator

Im a Walrus
07-04-2011, 01:22 PM
The "cooler" will keep meat hot for a few hours - well as long as you have not filled it with ice. A cooler can be used as an insulated holding cabinet to keep meat hot while waiting to serve.

It is also important to let meat rest before cutting it. This will allow the juices to be re-absorbed by the meat. Wrapping the meat in foil is necessary to keep the juices & meat together. How long of a rest depends in the meat. I usually let brisket & pork rest about an hour, but ribs rest only about half an hour. It's really mostly a preference thing & what works for you.

Thanks. So to make sure I understand, you would take ribs right off the smoker, wrap them in foil, put them in the cooler for 30 minutes, then take them right out and serve them with no reheating needed?

Much appreciated.

Im a Walrus
07-04-2011, 01:26 PM
I only rest briskets and butts in a cooler, not ribs. The rest time gives the juices a chance to recirculate throughout the meat. I used a dry, preheated cooler (preheat it with hot water) and clean towels for insulation all around the meat (wrap the meat in a couple of layers of foil.

I shoot for at least two hours rest. The rest time is also a good buffer in case the meat takes longer than expected to cook.

Preheating the cooler is an interesting idea. You just pour the hot water directly into the cooler? I'm assuming you then empty the cooler of water when it's time for the meat to go in?

Thanks all for the helpful advice. Sorry for the beginner's questions!

Mr. Gray
07-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I tried the "cooler" technique for the first time a few weeks ago with a brisket. Wrapped in foil, in the bottom of the ice chest, put a beach towel and an old pillow on top and closed the lid. 2 hours later it was still too hot to handle with bare hands. I let it rest out of the cooler for another half hour...my best brisket so far.

jestridge
07-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Also you can put those heat pack that heat up in a microwave in them

caseydog
07-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Letting meat rest is important, because the juices inside are hot, and they want out. If you cut into the meat right off the grill or smoker, the juices inside will gush out, leaving you with dry meat.

With small cuts of meat, like a steak, it may only take ten minutes of rest for the juices to settle. And, the rest is purely to keep the juices from gushing out of the meat when you cut into it.

With big chunks of meat, like brisket and pork but, wrapping in foil and putting into a cooler allows the connective tissue to keep "cooking," or breaking down, which makes brisket more tender, and makes a pork butt easy to shred for pulled pork.

The side benefit is that you can finish the brisket or butt early, and keep it hot while you get your sides done and the table set. You don't have to try and time everything to get done at the same time.

At least, that's the reasons why I do it.

CD

caseydog
07-04-2011, 01:38 PM
By the way, that was NOT a stupid question. :thumb:

What I like most about this forum is that we all get to learn, and sometimes teach.

CD

bigabyte
07-04-2011, 01:48 PM
I do it so it can wait until it is time for dinner. It can help it break down to more tender with a longer rest, but if you cook it until it is tender to begin with then you are not going to have any complaints from anyone. Even if you don't cooler it, you have to let it rest.

NorthwestBBQ
07-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Paul was the Walrus....

Ron_L
07-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Preheating the cooler is an interesting idea. You just pour the hot water directly into the cooler? I'm assuming you then empty the cooler of water when it's time for the meat to go in?

Thanks all for the helpful advice. Sorry for the beginner's questions!

Yes... Pour in hot water and close the lid and let it sit for a bit. I prefer to empty out the water before putting the meat in (unless you are making soup) :becky: Dry the cooler before putting the meat in as well.

caseydog
07-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Paul was the Walrus....

I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people. -- Ferris Beuhler

CD

caseydog
07-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Yes... Pour in hot water and close the lid and let it sit for a bit. I prefer to empty out the water before putting the meat in (unless you are making soup) :becky: Dry the cooler before putting the meat in as well.

I just put a couple of towels in the bottom of the cooler, put the foil-wrapped meat on top of that, and toss in a couple more towels, and close the cooler.

Pre-heating the cooler sounds a little obsessive, to me. Maybe not. Just sayin.'

CD

Im a Walrus
07-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people. -- Ferris Beuhler

CD

Fantastic movie.

Pyle's BBQ
07-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I think we need to rename the "cooler".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gore
07-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Last time I did butts, I had them in the cooler for 4 hours and still burned my hands when I pulled them. It's amazing what the rest period will do. It's almost like night and day.

---k---
07-04-2011, 04:31 PM
I always cooler my butts because they are usually getting done way too early (or I'm giving myself too much "just in case I get one of those problem butts" time.)

Now, if I could just learn the art of foiling. I got a couple beach towels with big red pork butt stains. I don't really care about the towels, but man that is some good juice I'm loosing!

NorthwestBBQ
07-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Paul was the Walrus....

I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people. -- Ferris Beuhler CD

Fantastic movie.

Ahhh, Ummm, I was referring to this song by the Beatles:

YouTube - ‪The Beatles-I am the Walrus(BEST QUALITY)‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnpil_pRUiw)

Ever heard of them? Ferris was referring to this song, too. :idea:

caseydog
07-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I always cooler my butts because they are usually getting done way too early (or I'm giving myself too much "just in case I get one of those problem butts" time.)

Now, if I could just learn the art of foiling. I got a couple beach towels with big red pork butt stains. I don't really care about the towels, but man that is some good juice I'm loosing!

Easy fix. Get the giant rolls of Reynolds foil, and make sure you waste a lot of it to make a BIG sheet to lay your roast in. Then GENTLY wrap from the bottom up. Then, handle with care.

I never have any leakage. You MUST get the whole piece of meat wrapped in one piece of foil. If you join two pieces together, it will leak -- guaranteed.

CD

caseydog
07-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Fantastic movie.

Even if I don't help you cook better, I can always be counted on to entertain you with useless knowledge.

CD

Ron_L
07-04-2011, 05:59 PM
pre-heating the cooler sounds a little obsessive, to me. Maybe not. Just sayin.'

cd

ok...

NorthwestBBQ
07-04-2011, 06:00 PM
ok...

In my not so humble opinion, preheating a cooler for hot, foiled meat is :crazy:

landarc
07-04-2011, 06:08 PM
I preheat the cooler, it is based upon my experience with home brewing, where there is a measurable loss of temperature if you add water (boiling) to a cold cooler. In some cases, you will lose enough heat to mess with your mash temperature. It's not like it takes a lot of effort or time.

Ron_L
07-04-2011, 06:14 PM
In my not so humble opinion, preheating a cooler for hot, foiled meat is :crazy:

So you'd rather lose the heat from your meat into the walls and insulation of the cooler? I thought the goal was to keep the meat hot?

NorthwestBBQ
07-04-2011, 06:27 PM
So you'd rather lose the heat from your meat into the walls and insulation of the cooler? I thought the goal was to keep the meat hot?

I just wrap in towels and call it good, like the rest of the internet does.

Ron_L
07-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Ok...

---k---
07-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Easy fix. Get the giant rolls of Reynolds foil, and make sure you waste a lot of it to make a BIG sheet to lay your roast in. Then GENTLY wrap from the bottom up. Then, handle with care.

I never have any leakage. You MUST get the whole piece of meat wrapped in one piece of foil. If you join two pieces together, it will leak -- guaranteed.

CD

I got the jumbo roll of foil from Costco. I think it is that "handle with care" part that gets me. :redface:

RPA
07-04-2011, 11:33 PM
So I'm so new to BBQ that I've never done the cooler thing. I'm going to go get a cooler and jump right on to a brisket. I've been getting some good results so why not go big?....

NorCal Q Man
07-05-2011, 12:12 AM
I preheat the cooler, it is based upon my experience with home brewing, where there is a measurable loss of temperature if you add water (boiling) to a cold cooler. In some cases, you will lose enough heat to mess with your mash temperature. It's not like it takes a lot of effort or time.

/agree

I even preheat my coffee mugs.

landarc
07-05-2011, 12:03 PM
/agree

I even preheat my coffee mugs.
You're a coffee snob!

BTW, where can a coffee snob who prefers properly roasted (not burned) beans get a good cup of coffee in Santa Rosa, I suffer so when I am there for swim meet with the nephews and nieces.

Fletch711
07-05-2011, 01:33 PM
I posted similar question about the FTC method last week. It worked perfectly with the butts I did for the 4th of July weekend. I honestly think it does a better job at letting the meat rest than simply foiling it and placing it on the kitchen counter.

Thanks for all the advice from you guys, I think I did some of the best pulled pork I've ever done.

NorCal Q Man
07-05-2011, 05:14 PM
You're a coffee snob!

BTW, where can a coffee snob who prefers properly roasted (not burned) beans get a good cup of coffee in Santa Rosa, I suffer so when I am there for swim meet with the nephews and nieces.

My house! I hardly ever get coffeehouse coffee anymore. If I remember right, though, Johnny's Java (there are a few) has a decent Kona Blend. It's a light roast and a sweetly acidic flavor. Also, I think 1710 Coffee (1710 Mendocino Ave) had a fair blend last time I was there.

landarc
07-05-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't think you want me showing up at 6:15am on a Saturday and Sunday morning looking for a mug warm-up and fill. I will check those others out.