PDA

View Full Version : How to build

davio
07-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi guys,
What a great site! I've had a few smokers over the years and finally scored an old oil tank. Looking for some good plans for a pig roaster/Smoker.
Any help would be great. I know I need a trailer but I have all the other tools needed to build something.
Thanks and keep on smokin!:thumb:

txschutte
07-04-2011, 03:03 PM
There are several good ones on google. Are you doing an offset box or direct heat with heat shield?

jestridge
07-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Is it one of those home heating oil type tank??? If it is most of the time they will rust out very fast,

Capozzoli
07-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I built a couple. I just put a big door and hinges on it with a couple of intake dampers on either end.

One had a big rack the other had a rotisserie installed into it. There was no offset fire box on either.

True what jestrige said, they will rust out fast. You can avoid this by seasoning it with veg oil as it cools down. Just spray it or brush it on. Then you have to store it under a roof.

You dont necessarily need a trailer if you are not going to move it a lot. Fits in a pikc up. Built on simple legs they are not usually all that heavy.

NorthwestBBQ
07-04-2011, 05:36 PM
I built a couple. I just put a big door and hinges on it with a couple of intake dampers on either end.

One had a big rack the other had a rotisserie installed into it. There was no offset fire box on either.

True what jestrige said, they will rust out fast. You can avoid this by seasoning it with veg oil as it cools down. Just spray it or brush it on. Then you have to store it under a roof.

You dont necessarily need a trailer if you are not going to move it a lot. Fits in a pikc up. Built on simple legs they are not usually all that heavy.

You should have used Aluminum. :heh:

Capozzoli
07-04-2011, 07:16 PM
They are thin and definitely dissipate the heat, cold or windy days are tough on temp control. Cant see aluminum being all that much worse.

Another thing I was thinking is mounting the tank on the horizontal instead of the vertical. Then a splayed out pig could be roasted in there. Goes much faster that way.

davio
07-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Yes it is a home style tank. thinking of direct heat no side box. I'll have to check it out rust wise.