PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

Jaskew82
07-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Just adopted my first 22.5" weber kettle grill. I have always used gassers and my WSM to cook/smoke.

I am going to take it to the park today and do some burgers and dogs before the fireworks. How much charcoal is needed? I am thinking only half to 3/4 a chimney but maybe the pros can fill me in?

Also, I am assuming the air on the bottle are what I should be using to control my temp with... right?

Kevin
07-04-2011, 10:49 AM
A whole chimney will be plenty. With a Weber kettle you can close all the vents when you are done cooking and the coals will go out.

I leave the top vent wide open and control temp with the bottom when grilling.

dadsr4
07-04-2011, 10:59 AM
A whole chimney will be plenty. With a Weber kettle you can close all the vents when you are done cooking and the coals will go out.

I leave the top vent wide open and control temp with the bottom when grilling.

Also, cooking dogs indirect takes a little longer, but there is much less chance of burning them

bigabyte
07-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Agree with them. I would also add I like to do my burgers indirect until they are nearly done thn put them over direct to give a quick sear/char on the outside. Give the outside a nice flavor.

fedex
07-04-2011, 12:47 PM
No such thing as a stupid question here. Get a nice cover for your gasser, you probably won't use it much anymore. Another member for the Kettle Club.

landarc
07-04-2011, 12:53 PM
I take a small bag, but, I would say one chimney as well. I tend to build a fire hotter on one side of the grill then the other, leave the vents open and move stuff around to control amount of heat.

cliffcarter
07-04-2011, 07:52 PM
How much depends on how many burgers, for 6- 1 chimney, for 12- 1 1/2 chimneys. Spread out your lit coals in the center, leaving a 4 inch space around the outside wall of the grill. Sear as many burgers as you can over the coals, then move them to the outside of the grill so they are no longer over the coals, cover and finish. If you have more burgers to sear, put them on at this time, just make sure to flip and move them when ready. I always leave top and bottom vents wide open when grilling on the kettle.
Dogs can go on anytime, they only have to be heated thru, although I like to put a crunchy black char on the red dogs we get up here.