PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Chicken Quarter Legs - need help

olemissrebel
07-04-2011, 01:19 AM
I bought 6 chicken quarter legs for the 4th, will have the in-laws over and want to smoke them on my fairly new Brinkmann Gas Smoker. What temperature should I cook this on? If I cook them at 200-250 how long will it take to get them just right? Can I use the same rub for my ribs as on the chicken? It contains salt, sugar, paprika, black pepper, onion, and garlic. When do I baste them? I have jim beams original bbq sauce, will this be ok to baste with?

Thanks,
Phil

bigabyte
07-04-2011, 01:28 AM
If you can, get the heat up higher, don't be afraid to smoke chicken at 325 or 350. Chicken absorbs smoke flavor really well and doesn't need a lot of time to get that smokey flavor. The higher heat helps it retain more moisture and can even help make the skin cook up better.

As for rubs, you can use that rib rub, and you can use that sauce. Don't bother basting, but you can put that sauce on the last few minutes to get it to set up on the chicken real nice like.

Pull them off the cooker when the internal temp in the thigh is 165 degrees and let them rest for about 5 minutes to let it finish cooking (it will climb another 5 degrees or so), and to let the juices redistribute throughout the meat (they gather up in the center while cooking).

Good luck! Post some pron if you have the time, or at least let us now how you did things and how it went!:thumb:

tmehlhorn
07-04-2011, 02:10 AM
Bigabyte put it well. When i do beer can chickens i run around 275-300. it takes hour and half to 2 hours depending on size of birds. Probably about an hour for you depending on heat and thickness of legs. check temp when they look close. When they are almost done, coat with sauce with about 15 min left, only need enough time to heat up sauce and let it thicken and soak up that smokey goodness. Remember to sit chicken out about 30 min before you throw on grill. Allowing it to come up close to room temp helps with the process a bit.

Smiter Q
07-04-2011, 03:04 AM
@olemissrebel (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=24429)

careful of the sauce when you put it on. if it is high in sugar it can burn/scorch very quickly. hope it goes well for you!

Crash
07-04-2011, 05:02 AM
These guys know what they are talking about. Cook it at a higher temp, definitely over 300. Sauce (glaze would be better IMO) at the end of your cook.

Wampus
07-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Agreed. I always do chicken at at least 300. last time I did quarters, they took about 45 minutes, but that was when the smoker was loaded to capacity. If you have a temp probe, stick it in the fat part of the thigh and when it hits 170, DONE.

Any rub will work. If you have one you like, go with it.

I'd put the sauce on at the very end. Sauce them, close the lid and wait for about 5 minutes then pull em off.

Good Luck and Happy Independance Day!!!!

olemissrebel
07-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys. I will let you know how they turn out. This site has been great for helping me with my bbqing endeavors!

El Ropo
07-04-2011, 11:57 AM
If you can get your smoker up to 325-350, the results should be fantastic. Lower than 325, and the skin will end up being rubbery. Even worse, smoking poultry at 225 will give you rubbery skin, and rubbery meat, since the longer time exposed to heat will tend to dry out a leaner meat such as chicken.

Did these last night at around 325 indirect on the 22" OTS. Pulled when IT in thickest part of largest thigh hit 185 (I like my quarters fall off the bone). the skin was sublime, and the meat was very moist and flavorful.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz189/ElRopo/July3chicken002.jpg