PDA

View Full Version : Welding a Weber lid

worknomore
07-03-2011, 10:01 PM
I am thinking of insulating a Weber lid with a 55 gallon lid cut to fit the inside of the kettle lid for a Pizza/bread oven. The space in between the cut 55 gallon metal plate and the top of the kettle then would be insulated with a high temp mineral wool and sealed by welding. But the question I have is, can a Weber lid be welded continually on the inside without blowing holes in it? Or is it tack welding only? My UDS lid was a cheap lid from Lowe's and it had to be tack welded because it was to thin. Thanks for any input.

Boshizzle
07-03-2011, 10:03 PM
You can probably do it if you have a wire welder and remove the porcelain from the Weber lid. Make sure you protect your eyes very well if you decide to remove the porcelain.

moonpie
07-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I think the metal is too thin for welding, I had some blow open just trying to braze it with a torch. Maybe you should try some JB Weld, the original, not the JB Kwik. The original can take higher temps. Just a thought.

NorthwestBBQ
07-04-2011, 01:05 PM
With TIG you can weld anything.

jestridge
07-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Mig it using gas ,use the trigger method ,but only spotting it, if you weld the whole thing you stand avery good chance of warping it. You could tig it but welding that much with a tig will put a lot of heat in it.

gotwood
07-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Cut off the rolled over edge of the drum them weld a curved rod or bend square stock to the inside of the cut edge.

Now your weber lid will fit perfectly...you can even add a gasket on top of the drum.

Capozzoli
07-04-2011, 03:49 PM
I was thinking the same kinda thing as gotwood.

Along those lines you could also maybe wrap the lid with flat bar, say 1/8" X 1" or 1-1/2. Trick is to design it so there is a lap joint. Say for example thin flat bar was wrapped around the weber lid and maybe served as a lip. Flip it over and weld it from the inside. Keep your wire and heat on the flat bar and flow it over onto the inside lip of the webber lid.

Then you could fit and weld the drum lid into the flat bar.

Does that make any sense?

Sounds like an interesting project.

gotwood
07-16-2011, 04:48 PM
I was thinking the same kinda thing as gotwood.

Along those lines you could also maybe wrap the lid with flat bar, say 1/8" X 1" or 1-1/2. Trick is to design it so there is a lap joint. Say for example thin flat bar was wrapped around the weber lid and maybe served as a lip. Flip it over and weld it from the inside. Keep your wire and heat on the flat bar and flow it over onto the inside lip of the webber lid.

Then you could fit and weld the drum lid into the flat bar.

Does that make any sense?

Sounds like an interesting project.

Great Idea...no cutting of the rolled over edge needed.