PDA

View Full Version : 7lb butt just went on at 11:30pm

Smiter Q
07-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Hi all,

Last night I posted a Q+A thread of how to go about doing a minion burn on my weber kettle. I received very helpful information, which I just put to use. I Set the kettle up for a indirect smoking session, even blocking off 2/3 of the fire grate with foil and lining the coals up opposite of bricks. I am using a heavy stainless water pan, and 3 bricks total(one underneath the pan.) It has been about 30 minutes, and I went out to check temps. The grill is lower than I expected, hanging out at 160. I had top vents about 2/3 open, now just opened them all the way.

Wondering if the temp does not rise soon, how to raise it up without going past the 250 zone. I wish not to do a drastic change and have it start to burn hotter and then have trouble trying to slow it down again.

Thanks for the advice and ideas!

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv129/BWaustinTX/b-1.jpg

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv129/BWaustinTX/c-1.jpg

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv129/BWaustinTX/temp160-1.jpg

ZouBBQ
07-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Don't mean to state the obvious, but the only way I know to raise the temp without going too high is opening the lower vent a little more, waiting 5-10 min for it to come up in temp, then either stopping or opening more. I haven't done a minion before, maybe there is something more complex I'm not seeing. "Fire not hot enough = give it more air" in my mind.

JMSetzler
07-01-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm thinking your charcoal in that configuration might not be getting enough airflow with the lid on. I'd leave the top vent fully open and the bottom vent as well until you get to temp, and then start shutting down the bottom vent as needed to maintain temp.

Smoker101
07-02-2011, 12:06 AM
i never smoked in a weber kettle before but do you think that all that foil might be blocking the air getting inside to your charcoal? if i am wrong tell me because i am still new to the smoking.

JMSetzler
07-02-2011, 12:09 AM
It's not blocking it so much but it is tight. The charcoal grate has the air vents below it so the charcoal has access to the air. He doesn't have very many lit coals on the charcoal pile so it's gonna take it a bit to get going.

Smoker101
07-02-2011, 12:11 AM
ok i know where your going with this. that makes seance. thanks

Smiter Q
07-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks all, after I posted I opened the top all the way and kept the bottom the same.
Just went out for a quick peek and she is holding at 225 now. Will check in another hour.

I started with 8 lit coals and placed them on the left end of the top photo.

JMSetzler
07-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks all, after I posted I opened the top all the way and kept the bottom the same.
Just went out for a quick peek and she is holding at 225 now. Will check in another hour.

I started with 8 lit coals and placed them on the left end of the top photo.

Check it sooner... the temp may keep creeping up. You may need to shut down the bottom vents a little as time rolls...

Smiter Q
07-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Check it sooner... the temp may keep creeping up. You may need to shut down the bottom vents a little as time rolls...

Thank JMS, will do.:thumb:

Callahan-que
07-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Keep the top vent open all the way. Try not to raise the lid too often to check the pit temp. Temps can vary , won't hurt a bit.

Smiter Q
07-02-2011, 01:32 AM
2 hours in and holding at 250 even. Think it is under control for awhile.
Have to clean my mess in the kitchen now before the GF awakens in the AM.

Smiter Q
07-02-2011, 04:40 AM
4:30am.. been 5 hours since started the cook on the weber kettle
fire has crept up to 275F.
Been steady burning no issues besides the creep from 250.
Fuel status seems to be fine, no need to top off as seems more
than 1/2 left

off to the couch Zzzzzzzzz

Pappy
07-02-2011, 05:55 AM
I'm thinking your charcoal in that configuration might not be getting enough airflow with the lid on. I'd leave the top vent fully open and the bottom vent as well until you get to temp, and then start shutting down the bottom vent as needed to maintain temp.

What he said. :amen:

I have controlled the heat with the top vent for years for burgers & brats. When it comes to bigger meats, I have learned that you should control with the bottom vent.

I bought fire bricks at a rock, ice, & fuel company for $1.50 each.
I like that you wrapped yours in foil. That will keep them clean.