PDA

View Full Version : The Butt is on! My first smoke!

Big_Jesse
03-12-2005, 06:02 AM
Brothers,

Got a 9lb butt and a fatty on the WSM with some hickory chunks. Started at 5:30 this morning. Ill let you all know how it turns out. Wish me luck.

By the way Im using the "Down Home Pulled Pork Sandwiches" recipie from our Files section.

-Big Jesse

scottm4300
03-12-2005, 06:28 AM
Jesse,

Are you getting the snow today that we are in NH? Good luck with the cook! Post pix if you can.

Scott

Neil
03-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Good luck Jesse, good to know there are others that won't let a little cold and snow stop them from Qing.

Big_Jesse
03-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Yes, its snowing pretty good over here. Started snowing about the time I put the Butt on the grill. Welcome to New England. I will try to post pictures for everyone.

-Big Jesse

Neil
03-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Scott, that avatar is too funny but it's alsow just plain WRONG!

scottm4300
03-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Fun with Foil!!

And that's as far as I go with it - lest this thread get split off to the Wood Pile!

G$
03-12-2005, 07:53 AM
Good luck Jesse. My brisket is about to go in. Unlike your snow, I will have to contend with 83 and sunny. I'll manage.

tommykendall
03-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Best of luck Jesse. Glad to hear that you're braving the elements

Solidkick
03-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Pork butt.....very forgiving first smoke......Mr. Kick thinks it was a good choice.......watch out for the wind gusts, if you have any.......wind will effect your cook more than the snow or cold......

It's gonna be a good day.....nothing like home smoked pulled pork.......

Bigmista
03-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Good luck on the smoke Jesse.

I have absolutely no advice for maintaining temps in the snow. IT's overcast and 58 here right now and will probably get up into the high 60's today.

Stay warm!

jminion
03-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Mr Kick's advice about the wind is right on,that is what will effect the cooker much more than the cold. Set up a wind block if possible and close the bottom vent that is the wind using the other two control pit temp will also help. The wind will cause you to go through much more fuel than normal.

spicewine
03-12-2005, 11:48 AM
You Go Girl !!! What time is supper????

Big_Jesse
03-12-2005, 12:48 PM
The wind started picking up. I think its lowering my temp. I opened the three bottom vents and still hovering around 200-205. So I fired up some more briquetts in the chimney starter and threw them in. I also knocked down some of the ash's. Now its up to 225 with all vents open. I thought the wind would feed O2 to the fire and make the temps go up? At least the snow stopped.

-Big Jesse

racer_81
03-12-2005, 02:13 PM
The wind started picking up. I think its lowering my temp. I opened the three bottom vents and still hovering around 200-205. So I fired up some more briquetts in the chimney starter and threw them in. I also knocked down some of the ash's. Now its up to 225 with all vents open. I thought the wind would feed O2 to the fire and make the temps go up? At least the snow stopped.

-Big Jesse

The wind will feed O2 to the fire and create more fire.

However, the "wind chill" effect will increase the rate at which heat is carried away from the outside of the WSM.

It's the same principle as using a fan to cool the CPU in your computer.

Bigmista
03-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Geek Mod.

Waitaminit!! I understood that! I must be a geek too!

Crap.

cabo
03-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Geek Mod.

Waitaminit!! I understood that! I must be a geek too!

Crap.

ďIt's the same principle as using a fan to cool the CPU in your computer.Ē

Thatís what I thought. So, Iíve been using that windup bbq fan thingy I got at last years NY Bash to keep the CPU (?) in my computer cool. Sure does make it hard to type. Maybe thatís why my post count is so low!!! Ya think!! :?

Understood what??

Sure is tough being a Geek. Crank the little fan, type a little, then crank again! Boy, this is too much like work. :roll:

OK! OK Hijack END!!!

On a windy day, Iíve gone through a 20 lbs. bag of Kingsford and almost as much wood for a 6 hour cook. Now I use a makeshift barricade (what ever I can find).

Good luck on the cook

jeffsasmokin
03-13-2005, 10:22 AM
OK, Jesse - it's Sunday.....................How were the vittles?

Big_Jesse
03-14-2005, 04:34 PM
The vittles were tender. Here are some pic's.
The Fattie
http://www.bubbascafe.com/~jeepinjesse/bbq/Fatty1.jpg
The Butt
http://www.bubbascafe.com/~jeepinjesse/bbq/Butt1.jpg

Thank you guy's for all your help.

-Big Jesse

jt
03-14-2005, 04:59 PM
*drool*

Gotta go reheat the fatty, hot link, and turkey leg from the weekend now.

Looks like you did a good job!

jeffsasmokin
03-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Good job, Jesse! Looks like you did well for your first smoke! How'd you like the Fattie? Do any Sausage Gravy and Biscuits?

scottm4300
03-14-2005, 06:12 PM
NICE!! Way to go Jesse. Thought I smelled something good on the NE wind over the weekend. Must have been drifting up from CT!!

YUM!!

Big_Jesse
03-14-2005, 06:15 PM
The smoke took from 5:30am to 10:30pm. the internal of the butt got up to 175-180* depending where i stuck it. I didnt foil it, just let it cool and pulled. The Down Home Pulled Pork recipie was realy good and I recomend it to anyone.
The Fatty was great! I used the JD hot sausage. Next time I will put more than one on and try different flavors. No I didnt try gravy or biscuts but maybe next time. I cooked up some fried eggs with it.
I did use 20lbs of briquetts durring this cook is that about right? It was about 28-35* outside and windy. I left the top vents completly open the whole time and only adjusted the bottom three for temp. The temp stayed at a constant 200-230*

-Big Jesse

CosmicCookin
03-14-2005, 07:17 PM
First time cook sounds like and looks exceptional!

Ron_L
03-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Looks great, Jesse!

Bigdog
03-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Nice job Jesse. Wise choice for your fattie, JD hot is my fav. The maple is an interesting contrast.

jeffsasmokin
03-15-2005, 04:58 AM
The smoke took from 5:30am to 10:30pm. the internal of the butt got up to 175-180* depending where i stuck it. I didnt foil it, just let it cool and pulled. I did use 20lbs of briquetts durring this cook is that about right? It was about 28-35* outside and windy. I left the top vents completly open the whole time and only adjusted the bottom three for temp. The temp stayed at a constant 200-230*

-Big JesseIMHO, that seems like a long time for an 8 lb. butt. However, I forget that it's still cold as Hades where you're at! :shock: Since I live in South Florida, I have no conception on what it's like to smoke in frigid weather. I know from the other Brothers, that it does effect your temp and times.

Just curious.............was it the late hour that made you decide not to at least foil and cooler it? I think you would have been pleasantly surprised in the difference it makes in the end product.

BigBelly
03-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Congratulations on your successful cooking session! The pics look great! I am sure the food tasted better then my monitors screen did.

Bellybro
03-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Okay, now the secretarty thinks I am some kind of weirdo, she walks in and I'm licking the monitor try to taste that awesome looking food!

And lunch is still an hour away!!!

Also try the sage, it is one of my favorites as far as fatties go. Also the wrap and cooler method is what we normally try to do time permitting!

Keep it up!!

parrothead
03-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Okay, now the secretarty thinks I am some kind of weirdo, she walks in and I'm licking the monitor try to taste that awesome looking food!

You mean to tell me that she didn't think you were a wierdo before that?

Big_Jesse
03-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Just curious.............was it the late hour that made you decide not to at least foil and cooler it? I think you would have been pleasantly surprised in the difference it makes in the end product.

I just wanted to follow the recipie and also try it with out foiling then the next butt I try I will foil it and see what one I like better. I liked all the crispy's on the outside of the butt with out foiling though.

-Big Jesse

jeffsasmokin
03-19-2005, 04:48 AM

I just wanted to follow the recipie and also try it with out foiling then the next butt I try I will foil it and see what one I like better. I liked all the crispy's on the outside of the butt with out foiling though.

-Big JesseI enjoy a crisp bark as well. Nothing wrong with that! Let us know what you think about the difference when you try it. For "Pulled Pork", It truly breaks it down like "Budda".

Big_Jesse
03-19-2005, 05:54 AM
Im trying the "foiled" butt today. What temp should I wrap it at?

Seem's like some pull it off and wrap for an hour or so and eat.

When some pull it, wrap it, and throw it back on then let it sit then eat.

Does foiling make the bark soggy?

-Big Jesse

jeffsasmokin
03-19-2005, 08:22 AM
Im trying the "foiled" butt today. What temp should I wrap it at?

Seem's like some pull it off and wrap for an hour or so and eat.

When some pull it, wrap it, and throw it back on then let it sit then eat.

Does foiling make the bark soggy?

-Big JesseJess,
Pull it off and foil around the 160* mark. Spread out your foil and make a little "boat" around the Butt. Then pour a little apple juice, or your mop and close it up. Stick it back in the cooker until it reaches the 180 - 190* temp. Pull it out and wrap a damp towel around it (foil still on), then place it in a dry cooler. If the cooler is not full with other meats, I usually will place another damp towel over it and let it spread out along the bottom. Let it sit at least 2-3 Hours (you can go as long as 5 or more). Use gloves when you pull it out, as it will still be too hot to handle with bare hands! Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get you a cheap pair of Chemical gloves. Once you lay it out, use your gloves to remove all the "bad" stuff (i.e. - fat, bone, etc.), then pull away nice little chunks and strands. Some people (including me!) squirt it down with a "finishing" sauce prior to pulling. After that, you can serve it as is or include your favorite 'Q sauce................use your gloved hands to mix it, you don't want it shredded to pieces!

Foiling will effect the bark some what, but the trade-off is having meat that is like "Budda"!

Big_Jesse
03-19-2005, 08:36 AM
thanx, will try today.

-Big Jesse

racer_81
03-19-2005, 09:28 AM
These are useful in pulling pork - and in other things around the kitchen.

http://www.barbecue-store.com/bearpaw.htm

jeffsasmokin
03-19-2005, 10:17 AM
thanx, will try today.

-Big JesseYou're Welcome! Let us know what you think of the difference.