PDA

View Full Version : Gasket Material for Offset Doors

Black Dog BBQ
06-29-2011, 04:43 PM
What is the best gasket material to use to seal the doors of my offset? And how do you attach? I intended to do this a couple of years ago never got around to it. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff432/BDBBQ/Cookin008.jpg

RevZiLLa
06-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Any place that sells wood stoves should have Rutland gasket. It is a fiberglass rope that attaches with a sealant.

FatDaddy
06-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Ember shop or maybe Sutherlands. I would much rather get it from sutherlands or online, cause Embershop will bend ya over lol.

Black Dog BBQ
06-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Ember shop or maybe Sutherlands. I would much rather get it from sutherlands or online, cause Embershop will bend ya over lol.
So you been there also! lol They do have the BGEs there.

Zak
06-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Sometimes the stove gaskets are just too thick and cause the door not to seat properly leading to more leaks so i came across an idea a while ago to use silicone to make gaskets on the doors that can be very thin. Now i've never tried this technique so i can't guarantee it'll work. What was recommended was to apply cooking oil to the surface of the smoker or try a piece of wax paper on the smoker's surface then apply a bead of silicone to the door, after cleaning the surface very well. Then shut the door and allow it to cure. Hopefully what happens is the silicone sticks to the door but not the smoker or wax paper and now you have a perfect seal. I don't know how long it'd last but it seems easy and inexpensive. Just make sure you use high temp silicone.

grillzilla10
06-30-2011, 07:50 AM
I use folded sheets of foil.

Texas Turtle
06-30-2011, 07:50 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I put red high-temp silicone seal around the doors on my offset. Put on a thick bead all around, sprayed the area around the doors on the body with PAM and covered with strips of wax paper. Let silicone set for 30 minutes then closed doors and left overnight. Looks good, but it will get the first trial this weekend when I will be smoking butts, chicken and ribs for family 4th dinner.

Wampus
06-30-2011, 08:00 AM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/Wampus/IMG_2626.jpg

I put this on one of my cookers (not an offset) with high temp silicone.

djeppert
06-30-2011, 08:22 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I put red high-temp silicone seal around the doors on my offset. Put on a thick bead all around, sprayed the area around the doors on the body with PAM and covered with strips of wax paper. Let silicone set for 30 minutes then closed doors and left overnight. Looks good, but it will get the first trial this weekend when I will be smoking butts, chicken and ribs for family 4th dinner.

I just did this to my offset last night. It looked good this morning, but will get a test run in the next couple days. I still need to get a stove gasket to try to seal up the fire box door too.

vhram
06-30-2011, 08:36 AM
I picked up a used Black Diamomnd offset and the previous owner had used the red silicone gasket sealant around the door then put blue painters tape on the wet sealant then closed the door. after dried you open the door and the blue tape is like a gasket with a perfect seal. Not pretty but you cant see it unless the door is open.

QDoc
06-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Sometimes the stove gaskets are just too thick and cause the door not to seat properly leading to more leaks so i came across an idea a while ago to use silicone to make gaskets on the doors that can be very thin. Now i've never tried this technique so i can't guarantee it'll work. What was recommended was to apply cooking oil to the surface of the smoker or try a piece of wax paper on the smoker's surface then apply a bead of silicone to the door, after cleaning the surface very well. Then shut the door and allow it to cure. Hopefully what happens is the silicone sticks to the door but not the smoker or wax paper and now you have a perfect seal. I don't know how long it'd last but it seems easy and inexpensive. Just make sure you use high temp silicone.
Trigg did something similar to his Jambo.

posey's_pork_pit
06-30-2011, 09:58 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I used high heat silicone on my custom offset firebox door. I ran a bead of silicone around the door, put wax paper on top, closed the door and let it cure. After a few days, I removed the wax paper and I had the perfect seal. It's been almost a year and many, many cooks and the seal is holding just fine. :thumb:

Black Dog BBQ
06-30-2011, 02:22 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I used high heat silicone on my custom offset firebox door. I ran a bead of silicone around the door, put wax paper on top, closed the door and let it cure. After a few days, I removed the wax paper and I had the perfect seal. It's been almost a year and many, many cooks and the seal is holding just fine. :thumb:

This sounds good, I think I'll try it and thanks to the others who suggested it. I'll let you know how it worked for me.

William Cannon
08-01-2011, 03:46 PM
I tried the cooper high temp silicon on the lid and vegetable oil to keep it from sticking together. The lid on my firebox stuck and I had to pry it open.

The lid on the smoke chamber didn't stick much, but it also didn't seal up as well as I thought it would. I guess I'm going to have to start over... Any new tips?

ssbbqguy
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I use a high heat commercial gasket that is flat with adhesive on the back.Sometimes use a few aluminum rivets to make sure it stays, but it usualy stays fine. I wash my pits often and that's when it might loosen. Look for this product at a commercial packing or gasket place. It works better than silicone anyday.You can see it on my site(in store) for reference if you want,www.BarrelSmokers.net. Steve.