PDA

View Full Version : A rookie mistake

BBQ Bandit
06-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Short answer... didn't checked the stock thermo.

Longer story

Recently acquired a second Bubba Keg (thanks, Boshizzle) and was running chicken and pork butt (back to back). The stock thermo showed 275 for the chicken... and was done in 3 hours. That should've flagged my noggin... just did a mess of whole roasters recently on the Lang offset... ran 250 for 4 hours. Was mighty tasty sampling with Original Blues Hog sauce... nice sweet/heat blend.

The butt went on next at 6:00 pm... anticipated an early morning check-up @ 275*. Was already pushing the internal temp @ 205 @ 3:00 am.
If it wasn't for the call of nature... that butt would've been dried up before sunrise.

Regrettably the rub was all blackened and tasteless. Spent the dawn pulling the weak-tasting pork into ziplocs.
Looks like a job for the Tennessee Red sauce.

Checked the thermo in boiling water afterwards... was showing 40* on the low side... meaning was running hotter than expected.
A rookie assumption on my part.

LMAJ
06-26-2011, 10:45 AM
That's a lesson learned the hard way....

syndicate559
06-26-2011, 01:08 PM
ah that sucks! Could happen to anybody.

El Ropo
06-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Regrettably the rub was all blackened and tasteless.Cut down the sugar content in your rub, and try the same thing again. I use Turbinado sugar in all my rubs, and it's very good with high heat cooks.

Nothing wrong with smoking @ 300+, you just have to be aware that things are going to get done sooner, and you'll get more sleep, quality time, whatever :thumb:.

BBQ Bandit
06-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Let's just say... its been re-calibrated... now.