PDA

View Full Version : What did you Q this weekend.

kcquer
03-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Brined some split breasts today for about 4 hrs. Cooked them @ ~275-300 for 2 hours to an internal temp of 170. I never had fried chicken so juicy!! Everytime I do brined bird I can't believe how good it is. If you've never brined chicken, it's definitely worth a try.

Cooked my chicken on some dandy apple wood Brother jt was kind enough to share with me, Thanks Bro, awesome stuff.

Anyone else cook this weekend?

brdbbq
03-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Fried for two hours crispy at best. Or did I miss something ?

The_Kapn
03-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Brined some split breasts today for about 4 hrs. Cooked them @ ~275-300 for 2 hours to an internal temp of 170. I never had fried chicken so juicy!! Everytime I do brined bird I can't believe how good it is. If you've never brined chicken, it's definitely worth a try.

Cooked my chicken on some dandy apple wood Brother jt was kind enough to share with me, Thanks Bro, awesome stuff.

Anyone else cook this weekend?

Scott--
As to your last question--YUP!!!!!! Mobile "Tournament of Super Stars" :twisted:
Can you really taste the Apple? Curious. Comments and differences?

I just tried some Primo Pecan and was amazed at the difference (even to my dead senses). I have some some other "lesser-known" woods seasoning and some more coming my way.
Just wandering what to expect in terms of differnce!

TIM

Bill-Chicago
03-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Had 4 boneless skinless boobs marinated, then rubbed, with Mr Henkels ( I think from ccokswithfire, but not sure)

In the kettle, 10 briquettes and 5 hickory chunks.

295 for 75 minutes. They were awesome.

Artichokes in 1/2 hour

kcquer
03-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Can you really taste the Apple? Curious. Comments and differences?

Tim, I think apple is awesome on chicken. It leaves a sweetness that compliments the chicken well. I rarely cook with only one wood and today was no exception, always gotta have a bit of cherry in the mix.
Fried for two hours crispy at best. Or did I miss something ?

In the smoker for 2 hrs, 275-300 seems high, and would be for anything else. Works great for chicken. With chicken you're not dealing with tough connective tissues like a brisket or butt so the extended cooking times and low temps aren't necessary. A quick look around a contest site shows I'm not in the minority on this. Most every teams gear includes a Weber Kettle or other charcoal grill and nearly everyone cooks their chicken hot, lots on flatbasket rotisserie setups. The cimarron is easy to crank up to 300 so that's how I do my chicken. I really like the results.

Bigdog
03-06-2005, 09:30 PM
I've never brined a chicken before. I did my wife's fav: Roto Chicken with mesquite and charcoal. Best ever.

Saturday was 72 degrees. Played 18 holes of golf, grilled burgers and went to Wichita to see a presentation on the Mars Lander, all with my family. Nice weekend. Only downer was not able to go to KC to hook up with E and jt.

Jeff_in_KC
03-06-2005, 10:09 PM
I didn't get to cook anything this weekend. Actually, I take that back. Last night, we put some boobs and burgers over some charcoal and hickory on the firebox side but nothing in the smoker. I let my wife handle most of that after I got the fire cranked up. They turned out pretty good though.

Today, I cleaned out the entire smoker and drilled some drain holes in the bottom of the smoke chamber. I also power washed out the Char Broil gas grill and dumped the aluminum flame deflectors in favor of a grid with those hickory flavored ceramic briquets. Cleaned up real nice and ready for some cookin'.

jgh1204
03-06-2005, 10:21 PM
It has nothing to do with smoke, but I did a little Mongolian BBQ for dinner tonight.

Bigmista
03-07-2005, 12:25 AM
No Q this weekend. made a huge pot of gumbo over a friend's house though. It had chicken, kielbasa, shrimp, crawfish and crab legs. They were still talking about it at church today.

Neil
03-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Nirvana spare ribs. 3 racks St. Louis style plus the riblets and tips. Salad, baked beans, and baked sweet tater were the sides.

Arlin_MacRae
03-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Coupla butts yesterday. New batch of hick'ry was a little damp and a wind from an odd direction kept temps a little on the low side, so cooking time was up. Didn't quite pull apart as easily as I like, but the taste was right on. Happy family. :)

spicewine
03-07-2005, 08:13 AM
After 7 years of loyal service, my grill shot craps yesterday. I was able to cook some polish sausages with it's final breath.

Good bye old friend!!!!

chad
03-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Chicken, ribs, pork butt, and brisket! Busy weekend :D

Oh yeah, I watched TIM build a raspberry termimisu for the dessert competition! :mrgreen:

jminion
03-07-2005, 10:06 AM
5 sirloin roasts, 53 pounds of 8 piece chicken, feed aprox 150 people. The Traeger did it's job well.

BrooklynQ
03-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Nothing. Too many family obligations - Saturday in Baltimore Maryland and Sunday in Albany, NY. Nothing cooked since January 2nd!!!!

Neil
03-07-2005, 03:33 PM
After 7 years of loyal service, my grill shot craps yesterday. I was able to cook some polish sausages with it's final breath.

Good bye old friend!!!!

my condolences Jay. Tip a tastey toast for me.

Ron_L
03-07-2005, 04:49 PM
I didn't Q, but I made homemade Polish Sausage! I borrowed a grinder from a neighbor and made about 5 lbs of fresh sausage and we ate some of it last night for Pulaski Day (its an Illinois thing...). It came out very good!

spicewine
03-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Ron: Would really like that recipe!!! PM Me

Spice

scottm4300
03-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Took my first fatty foray this weekend. Life will never be the same! WOW

The_Kapn
03-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Took my first fatty foray this weekend. Life will never be the same! WOW
You "Be Hooked" :lol:
If I run out of frozen fatties for Biscuits and Gravy (fat chance of that), I will fire up the WSM and correct the emergency--can't live without them.
And, I never could stand "sausage" for breakfast before.
TIM

david
03-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Yesterday: put in a lamb leg and a couple of chickens. All I can say is AWESOME...

This is the 2nd time I've made this recipe for lamb. I modify it to cook in the bandera's smokebox at about 270 for about 1.5 - 2 hours.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/101877

Heimelswine
03-07-2005, 08:02 PM
I grilled seven pounds of wings. Q'd three slabs of dino-bones, and threw some brats on while Q'ing.

Experimenting with a wing sauce given to me by a friend. If ya take a taste from the pot, the chili will make you cough. After its been on the wings on the grill, all that's left is sweet and no chili punch. Gonna have to speriment.

tommykendall
03-07-2005, 10:22 PM
And, I never could stand "sausage" for breakfast before.

You know what - me either. Never could stand it. And for the few few tries at fatties - I couldn't stand them either. But I'm now coming around and starting to like them

417bullelk
03-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Since it is now my weekend (gotta love airport operations) I am throwing in a butt and a couple of fatties in the 'dera. Got to give the new Spicewine basket a workout and I will post results. Went to Applebees tonight (kids got to choose) so I had the Babybacks with their new Citrus Chipotle sauce. I must admit the sauce was dang good, the ribs were a little on the tough side. I can honestly say for the first time, the last ribs I made were better than what I had tonight. I guess I must be starting to do something right.....thanks to all of you farkers.

417bullelk
03-09-2005, 01:37 AM

Good bye old friend!!!!

Sorry about the old one...but what I want to know is...what are going to replace it with??

tommykendall
03-09-2005, 08:58 AM
last night for Pulaski Day (its an Illinois thing...).

Surprised Billinois didn't give a full report on that...