PDA

View Full Version : a dumb question bout ground pork

LT72884
06-22-2011, 11:49 PM
So i see recipes tellin me to get ground pork. I know this is rediculous but i cant find this said ground pork. all i can find is pork sausage used for breakfast patties, you know, the jimmy dean ground sausage used for fatties. So this ground sausage, is it the same as ground pork?

thanks

isolated01
06-22-2011, 11:54 PM
No, that's seasoned ground pork. Grab a pork butt and have the meat dept grind it for you.

JMSetzler
06-22-2011, 11:58 PM
I haven't had any trouble in the past finding ground pork in the butcher case at grocery stores. It won't be near the breakfast sausage stuff. It will be closer to where the ground beef is in the cases...

FatDaddy
06-23-2011, 12:13 AM
I would just get a butt like Isolated stated and grind it at home or have them grind it for u at the store.. I use it alot in chili mixed with deer or beef.

LT72884
06-23-2011, 01:18 AM
i went and checked, yup no ground pork here. So i am gonna have to grind me own or have the butcher do it. i guess people here dont use enough of it. haha

chad
06-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Get a 5# boneless pork but and have the butcher grind it and separate into 1# portions. Use what you need now and freeze the rest. A pork butt is pretty much optimal 70/30 meat/fat ratio all by itself.

Or, if you have a Kitchen Aide mixer get the grinder. We use ours quite a bit for different recipes and not all involve meat!! Unless you get into sausage making getting a stand alone grinder is probably a waste. Though I know some who grind their own beef most of the time.

Gore
06-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Around where we live they go through phases. Sometimes they carry it and sometimes they don't. The grocery store butchers don't always like to make it because they have to clean out the equipment for a relatively small batch. If you have an Asian market nearby, they always carry it.

dataz722
06-23-2011, 08:44 AM
I have found it pretty difficult to find around here too. Pretty much the only time I ever see it is when it is in "meatloaf mix". I have the KA grinder though so it doesn't bother me.

Cast Iron Chef
06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Like Gore it can be spotty here. I have a Little Oscar food processor. Great for grinding up pieces of pork for things like egg rolls.