PDA

View Full Version : which grill to buy

Junttan
06-22-2011, 07:59 PM
I know that i am a lot newer to this backyard grilling stuff then a many of you other Brethern out there. I have a 22 inch weber Kettle I wanted to get something bigger, I was looking at the weber Ranch is there that much differance that warrants spending that much more money on that grill or is there some other Smoker grill that would be a better investment for the money. I would like to hear your advice.

Jaskew82
06-22-2011, 08:03 PM
For that kind of money, there are so many other things you could get. I would recommend another kettle if you like working with charcoal. If you want ease of use - a nice weber gasser has lots of cook space for half the price.

Cajunator
06-22-2011, 08:04 PM
If you can afford that grill, go for it. I like it and it will definitely handle big cooks. Really, it should be big enough to do a good indirect cook or smoking with no problem. Post pics when you get it!

For a lil more you can also get a big Primo Oval XL. Not as big as the ranch but a great grill/smoker.

Smoked
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Did you look at the Weber 26 kettle? The Rancher is huge and not sure I would buy one new, but instead look for one used on CL.

JMSetzler
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
There are a ton of nice charcoal grills out there with the same or more space than the rancher for a lot less money. The rancher IS a cool grill though. Masterbuilt, Brinkmann, and Chargriller all have some good stuff... as well as others...

Midnight Smoke
06-22-2011, 08:13 PM
For the price a Chargriller Pro it is hard to beat for grilling. The Adjustable Fire rack is a great feature..

Callahan-que
06-22-2011, 08:26 PM
For the price a Chargriller Pro it is hard to beat for grilling. The Adjustable Fire rack is a great feature..

Not to mention the cast iron cooking grates. And if the Pro isn't big enough there's always the Outlaw.

NorthwestBBQ
06-22-2011, 08:36 PM
There are a ton of nice charcoal grills out there with the same or more space than the rancher for a lot less money. The rancher IS a cool grill though. Masterbuilt, Brinkmann, and Chargriller all have some good stuff... as well as others...

:mod: Are you familiar with the this grill? :mod:

Grill Specs

Stainless steel cooking grate
Cooking area = 1104 sq in
Porcelain-enameled bowl and lid
Grill Dimensions

With the lid open:
Height: 42 inches
Width R-L: 37.75 inches
Depth: 44.75 inches
http://waringgrills.com/_image/weber-charcoal-grills/weber-kettle-ranch-charcoal-grill.jpg

Please link me to any grill that beats the Weber Ranch Kettle. :thumb:

Boshizzle
06-22-2011, 09:07 PM
I have a Chargriller Outlaw that I use nowadays just for grilling. It does a good job, can get really hot and provides lots of space.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=326&pictureid=3692

JMSetzler
06-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Grill Specs

Grill Dimensions

With the lid open:

I didn't say anything about beating it :) The Ranch Kettle is a fantastic piece of equipment. One of my neighbors has one and its completely awesome. I just said that there are a lot of options with similar amounts of cooking space for a lot less money. $1200 for a charcoal grill is more than a lot of folks can or will pay for one.

NorthwestBBQ
06-22-2011, 10:16 PM
There are a ton of nice charcoal grills out there with the same or more space than the rancher for a lot less money.

Are my reading skills failing me?

JMSetzler
06-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Are my reading skills failing me?

I don't think so.

"There are a ton of nice charcoal grills out there with the same or more space than the rancher for a lot less money."

That's exactly what I said :) There is probably nothing out there that would match the quality of the Rancer though.

Al
06-22-2011, 10:21 PM
The first grill I purchased was a Chargriller. The fact that it is easy to use really helped me understand what I was doing. It is a great grill to learn on.

mykz26
06-22-2011, 10:36 PM
There's a used Ranch on Amazon for $750 like new condition.

Zin
06-23-2011, 01:00 AM
I bought my 26.75 Weber last year at Academy Sports for $118 plus tax, all the bbq stuff was on clearance. The 26er is a very nice grill, very versatile, plenty of room, can easily do indirect cooking using just 1 of the 2 charcoal baskets that come with the grill. Fixing to mount it on a table like a performer.

Lake Dogs
06-23-2011, 06:30 AM

Grill Specs

Grill Dimensions

With the lid open:

http://waringgrills.com/_image/weber-charcoal-grills/weber-kettle-ranch-charcoal-grill.jpg

Ok, I'll admit, most every time I see these I get a ..... Well, never mind. Yeah, I have serious grill envy for one of these. Perhaps when it's time to replace my 16 yr old 22 Weber I'll replace it with a Rancher!!!

To the original poster: For the most part, you get what you pay for. However, just because you paid for it doesn't mean you'll use it to the extent that it was intended. In this case, if you only have a few people over now & again, a Weber 22 or two works great. However, if you're cooking for 20+ people that's another thing altogether. For me, it's rare that I ever have just 1 grill or smoker going, unless it's the beast (my Lang), and that ***** will cook for 200 people....

Lake Dogs
06-23-2011, 06:31 AM
I didn't say anything about beating it :) The Ranch Kettle is a fantastic piece of equipment. One of my neighbors has one and its completely awesome. I just said that there are a lot of options with similar amounts of cooking space for a lot less money. $1200 for a charcoal grill is more than a lot of folks can or will pay for one.

I think you can find them now, with free shipping, for right at $900, give or take....

deguerre
06-23-2011, 06:41 AM
Then again, you could build a brick fire pit and use expanded metal for a grate and cook over a real wood fire...or charcoal.

AMROCKS
06-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Why are they so damn expensive? Just don't see it! :confused:

Junttan
06-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks everyone for all your feed back. I'm going to take this information take a little more time and look at what else is out there in grilling Products(other Brands) and make a More Intelligent desision Thanks again

Zin
06-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Good luck Junttan, with weber you know what you are getting, top notch customer service and warranty, i have a 1981 wsm, it can still go another 30 yrs. Going with a different brand just to save 20 bucks is going to cost you a lot more in the long run. You get what you pay for. If you can find another brand that gives you 10 yr warranty on there charcoal grills go for it, if not stick to weber you wont be sorry.

jcpetro97
06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
I have a Chargriller Pro with the offset firebox for smoking( had it 4 years now ). I haven't regretted it not once. I mostly use it for slow cooking, but when i need to cook a large quantity, I will wheel it out. I have to agree with Zin. Don't go with a cheep-o one to save a few bucks. Spend the money for something you know will last, whether it si the Weber, or something else. Good Luck!!

Qing
06-24-2011, 07:56 PM
What are you wanting to cook that needs the additional space? The cook purpose could lead you to the right grill selection. Lots of options at that level. Would love to have the rancher myself - not because I need it or would use the space - it's just an awesome toy!

BBQ Grail
06-24-2011, 08:18 PM
I've got two 26 inch Weber Kettles and you can sure grill a lot of stuff on each of them.

Qcrazed
06-24-2011, 10:03 PM
i really like my big steel keg like bge only cheaper and transportable

LoneStarMojo
06-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Can't beat it but I can match it! Me and you could feed a small army bro.....:tea:

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/LoneStarMojo/Smoke/100_7393.jpg

Grill Specs

Stainless steel cooking grate:eusa_
Grill Dimensions

With the lid open: