PDA

View Full Version : Inject a Butt How Long Before Showtime?

TedW
06-22-2011, 07:54 AM
I've decided to try injecting the butt along with the rub. I understood that the rub time doesn't matter all that much since the rub doesn't penetrate the meat much. Is the same true if the injection? Or should I rub / inject and refridgerate for 48 hours?

I understand that after 12 hours the rub sort of morphs to a soft coating, and this is a good thing.

Big Sexy
06-22-2011, 08:02 AM
I dont know if I've been doing it right, but I rub my butt the night before, and leave wrapped in the fridge over night. And Inject 30 mins before putting on the smoker.

I'm anxious to hear how others do theirs.

TedW
06-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Seems to be a split camp based on my piecing together other threads. Some do 48 hours, while others do exactly as you do Big S.

Big Sexy
06-22-2011, 08:12 AM
48 hours... I may change it up & see how I like the results

TedW
06-22-2011, 08:18 AM
The other thing is... how could 48 hrs hurt?

chad
06-22-2011, 08:21 AM
The answer, as with most answers about que is "maybe". :-D

In competition you usually cannot inject earlier than maybe 12 hours. A lot depends, too, on what you are injecting.

If using enhancers like FAB you need to check with the manufacturer for suggestions. If using vinegar in your injection you can indeed inject too early and wind up with mush.
If using a fruit juice/salt/sugar "brine" 12 hours or so is probably all that's needed. The "leakage" will obviously "brine" the exterior of the butt/brisket/etc.

If you've been getting good results with 48 hour injection at home then there is no reason to change.

For the record, I like to rub the night before (at home) to get some surface penetration of the salts in the rub. My injection is fruit juice/salt/sugar to make a light brine.

Big Sexy
06-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Chad, are you rubbing and injecting at the same time?

Big Sexy
06-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Also...

Chad, I use the injection recipe off the virtual bullet site:
apple juice, water, white sugar, salt, worchestershire.

Would you consider a 'brine' type injection?

---k---
06-22-2011, 08:32 AM
I've been injecting about 2 - 3 hours ahead. Seems to be working well for me.

TedW
06-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Nice info on the injection recipes! So injecting some salt is good. Also added sugar beyond what is in the juice.

chad
06-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Yep, I inject the evening before (if I can) and apply a light coast of rub. I spruce up the rub in the morning before putting the meat in the cooker.

Yeah, I'd consider aj/salt/sugar/worchestershirestie a "light brine". But that's mostly to differentiate from using straight juice, which I have used too.

I try to do this stuff the night before a cook, but I have been known, on occassion to inject, rub, and place immediately in the cooker. That's not optimal, but hey, this ain't exactly brain surgery.

Jaskew82
06-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Also...

Chad, I use the injection recipe off the virtual bullet site:
apple juice, water, white sugar, salt, worchestershire.

Would you consider a 'brine' type injection?

If I am not mistaken - this is very much like Chris Lily's injection. I am trying it out this week.

What about foiling? When do you foil and for how long?

chad
06-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Depends on how I'm cooking.
If I'm using my Kingfisher in competition mode I'm usually at 300-325 and foil after about 2 hours when the color gets where I want it. I don't care what the internal temp is at this time. About 4 hours total I check the internal temp expecting to be around 185. I pull the pork out and blanket wrap or cooler at about 195 (usually pretty close to 5 hours cooking time).

If I'm cooking more traditionally at 250 or so, I'll start checking the color and internal temp. If the color gets right I'll foil regardless of the internal temp, but usually the color gets right when the meat is around 165 or so. I have often waited until 185 internal to wrap...it kind of depends on how I feel about the overall process is proceeding!! Color is the big deciding factor, but foiling will help break through the infamous "stall" temp, too.

These are just things I do -- definately don't take any of this as "gospel".

TedW
06-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Is there a ratio of juice / salt / sugar?

Others foil at 170, if cooking at 240 I've read. Sounds like the sweet spot

Lake Dogs
06-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Tedw, you're early on in this. You can over-do it and over-think it. I'd stay away from the possibility of too much sugar and/or too much salt. Just mix in a little worchestershire in some apple juice and inject that. Perhaps add in a little of your rub (which probably has a little sugar and salt in it); it'll tie in the flavors of the rub and get those flavors deep into the meat.

I inject anywhere from 1 hour before it goes on the smoker to 4 or 5 hours before.

TedW
06-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I like the idea of an apple / pineapple juice combo, maybe with some rub. Seems like a tad of salt is logical.

Lake Dogs
06-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Mixing apple and pineapple is fine. I know plenty of competitors that do that very thing. The rub probably has enough salt already in it. Meaning, I wouldn't add additional. Remember, you can always add spices later, but you can't take them away. The last batch of pulled beef I made I'd mistakenly doubled up on the injection that we use; ruined the meat because it was over-salted. Mind you, a few folks like a little food with their salt, but not everyone is like that. Also, salt may conflict with some sauces if you want to use sauces later...

Truly, the KISS method works best for pork.

TedW
06-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Mind you, a few folks like a little food with their salt, but not everyone is like that.

:laugh: :laugh: OK I get it. Juice / little rub spice - hold the salt. :thumb:

Warthog
06-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I inject the evening before with Kosmos/apple juice mixture. Wrap in plastic. In the morning I wipe dry and apply rub about 1/2 hour before putting into the UDS. I always get great results.

TedW
06-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Since I've been pestering and asking everyone for days about this, it seems that more people value longer injection times than value long rub times.

MattG
06-22-2011, 11:57 AM
We inject the night before, put the butt into a Ziploc and add any remaining injection. The next morning we add the rub about 1 hr before the cook.

Lake Dogs
06-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Absolutely (shorter rub time). MANY reasons for this. You can inject short term, or long term, it's all good. It has to do with marinading it. For us, I like the more subtle apple flavor in the meat. If you like it stronger, allow it to set up over night.