PDA

View Full Version : Before I decide on a smoker?

Big_Jesse
03-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Hey brother's and sister's,

Before I make my final decision on what smoker to buy I have a few quick question's.

I was wondering if I would be able to use a mop sauce with the Weber Smokey Mountain?

It seems to me that the temp would keep going down every time I opened her up to mop her down.

Would the temp drop be huge? Or even a problem?

I also wonder if it is nessacary to use a mop?

-Jesse

jeffsasmokin
03-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Jess, a mop or baste is very important. Allow a few hours (usually 3 to 4, dependant on what your cooking) for a bark to form from your rub first, then spray, baste or mop about every hour and/or every time you open the lid.

With small vertical smokers, they say you loose 30 min. cook time every time you pop open the lid. Some of the WSM owners could probably elaborate better on that subject.

Besides keeping your meat moist, a baste is intended to assist in breaking down the connective tissue of the meat. Most use a mixture of Apple Juice, Apple Cider Vinegar and some type of oil. Don't recommend using vineger with beef, though. You can vary that combination by substituting (or including) beer, whiskey, wine, sherry..........etc. Stick around long enough and you'll hear a plethora of ideas regarding this subject. Experiment a little, and you'll eventually find what works for you!

kcquer
03-06-2005, 09:04 AM

The most important thing a mop does is give an impatient cook an excuse to open the cooker. You can use mop/sprays to moisten the surface of meat that's nearly done (I do this for ribs the last hour of cooking) and you can use it to add some (although very little in my opinion) additional flavor to the rub/bark during the cook.
Mopping will not add moisture to the meat, and it will extend the cooking time which can contribute to drying so in my opinion is best only done when pit temps spike and you want to bleed off a bit of excess heat.

jeffsasmokin
03-06-2005, 09:19 AM

Mopping will not add moisture to the meat.??????????? Help me out here Obiwan............how does putting a liquid on the meat not add moisture? I realize that you would need an injector to add to the interior of the meat.................I am confused, Oh Great One!

tommykendall
03-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Help me out here Obiwan............how does putting a liquid on the meat not add moisture?

I think he clarified it earlier...

You can use mop/sprays to moisten the surface of meat

So it moistens the surface to help prevent drying, and depending what you're spraying may enhance flavor. It is not going to penetrate much past the surface.

brdbbq
03-06-2005, 11:48 AM
I rarely mop if at all. Loosing the heat just isn't worth it. Jeff what are you smoking anyway ? Cypress ?

Bigdog
03-06-2005, 12:04 PM
If you foil your butt at 165 and bring it up to 195, you only need to mop once, as you are foiling it.

jeffsasmokin
03-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Jeff what are you smoking anyway ? Cypress ?You lost me on that one, Brd. Scott's been kind of a mentor to me since I came on board, so I look to him alot for correct info.

brdbbq
03-06-2005, 01:00 PM
I loose myself a lot to.

kcquer
03-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Jeff, mopping will dampen the surface of the meat but little else. Some folk get the mistaken impression that periodic mopping will somehow conserve or replenish internal moisture in a large cut of meat, like a brisket. The truth is as the meat cooks it shrinks and squeezes out internal moisture, after good bark forms on brisket, you can actually see the moisture weeping thru the bark as the brisket nears done, mopping won't stop this process.
I was just trying to put mopping into perspective for Jessee. Mopping is certainly optional and I was giving him another point of view.

BTW-jeff didn't mean anything by the Obiwan mod and I took it in the good spirit intended.

jeffsasmokin
03-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks Bro! Always room for instruction from the Masters, Obiwan Kenobi!