PDA

View Full Version : need help, cooking for 14 a day in advance

deepsouth
06-18-2011, 08:47 AM
i'm needing a little help guys. my son turns one on tuesday and i'm having family members over. probably 12-14 people total. i'm getting off a half a day monday to prepare food for the following day. i was going to do pulled beef and wings, but i don't really have time to do an eight hour cook.

i'm thinking i have six hours tops after i go shopping to get it done.

i'm good on sides (potato salad, green salad, something else) and i'm going to do wings, but i need a "main course"

any suggestions and/or links are appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Wampus
06-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Are you not going to be able to cook on Tuesday? Are you off on Tuesday or are you working and this is an after work gig?

Just trying to guage time and all.

Bottom line I guess......you're looking for something that will cook in how many hours?

deepsouth
06-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Are you not going to be able to cook on Tuesday? Are you off on Tuesday or are you working and this is an after work gig?

Just trying to guage time and all.

Bottom line I guess......you're looking for something that will cook in how many hours?

i have to work tuesday and won't get home until 5:00. we invited people over for 6:30. i'll get off monday at noon, but will not have the grills fired up and ready to go until 1:00 and then i'd like to get it done before say 8:00 so it can be ready to refrigerate at 10:00.

the missus can pull the food out ahead of time tuesday to be coming up from refrigerator cold, but she CAN'T cook, at all.

so, say i have seven hours to prep and cook.

Wampus
06-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Welllllll......

You COULD pull off ribs in that time. Or how about:
pork loin (a stuffed loin is always good)
I've done this a couple times. Tapenade stuffed loin is my favorite. I've done this EXACT recipe from Raichlene's How To Grill:
YouTube - ‪Tapenade Stuffed Pork Loin‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJOEwTLxmpU)

Smoked pork chops?

You could always do smoked chicken or turkey (whole or breast), but I don't know if you'll want to do that since you're also doing wings......

A big ole fat meatloaf?

Or you could always grill on Tuesday, although I don't know what other stuff you've got going on that may prevent you from having time for that. Grilling brings up endless possibilities though.....

deepsouth
06-18-2011, 10:08 AM
i wish i could grill, but given the fact that i'm out behind the garage and the garage is a quarter full of boxes, and it's hot as fire outside, i think preparing the food a day ahead is a good idea. there will be a few kids at the party, so i'm looking for something "family friendly". you know how kids can be when you try to get them to eat something new. hahaha.....

i was REALLY wanting to do pulled beef, but it takes longer than i'll have. i could modify the clayq recipe and transfer it to the dutch oven before it hits 160, but i'm not sure how that would fare. thoughts?

Wampus
06-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Can't help you there. I've never done pulled beef.

But....why am I the only one chiming in here?:confused:

deepsouth
06-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Can't help you there. I've never done pulled beef.

But....why am I the only one chiming in here?:confused:

good question. my threads seem to drop like rocks. i just haven't figured out what i did wrong yet.

Gore
06-18-2011, 12:01 PM
I'd consider grilling steaks, kabobs (shrimp or beef) or salmon. Not had any real luck smoking something in advance and reheating. Not what you are thinking of, I know.

CPMatthew
06-18-2011, 12:17 PM
I have had some success with Baby Back ribs that cab be done in about 2 hours (30 minutes to get the fire ready, 90 minutes cook time). I know that sounds blasphemous, but people do seem to enjoy them. Rub the ribs down with your favorite rub and indirect grill for about 60 minutes. Sauce 'em up and let it go for another 25-30 minutes. They are finger licking good. I usually plan 1 rack for 2 guests, but I find my guests only eat 2 or 3 bones each.

deepsouth
06-19-2011, 07:32 PM
i decided i'm going to make homemade pasta tomorrow and tuesday, we'll have grilled shrimp alfredo with a salad and garlic bread. nice and simple.

ymmiT
06-19-2011, 07:44 PM
What I did for the Superbowl was brine, smoke and pull a turkey. Threw it in a crockpot. The morning of, I threw in some sauce, then heat and let guest self-serve as sandwiches. Making the brine took about 15 minutes, sit in brine for 12-24 hours, whatever works for your schedule. You can be at work while brining. Then smoke. Mine took about 5-6 hours.

deepsouth
06-22-2011, 12:10 PM
made three pounds of pasta, peeled and de-veined five pounds of shrimp and a bit more prep... this is a picture of a picture, so excuse the quality.....

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/deepsouth1970/0fc6c331.png

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/deepsouth1970/f93576da.png

Lake Dogs
06-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Looks like a great time!!!

BBQ Bandit
06-22-2011, 12:19 PM
That last picture is priceless...

LoveBBQ
06-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Pasta looks great! Really great actually!!!

BTW I think you could have done some chuckies in 6 hours and pulled them. Maybe next time!

deepsouth
06-22-2011, 12:25 PM
That last picture is priceless...

thanks!

i wish i had all the pictures here....

he had the birthday hat on and was very apprehensive. got grouchy looking, started actinig grouchy, took hat off head, cousin wiped a little icing on his nose and lips and then he dug in. by the time he was done, he had completely destroyed the cake, handfuls at a time. didn't eat it mind you, just a bit of it, but destroyed the whole thing. i had to take the thing it sat on away from him as he was about to try to devour it.

it was a good time. fewer people than expected, only nine, but it was very nice.

SteerCrazy
06-22-2011, 12:27 PM
great pics! glad to hear everything worked out (it usually does!):-D