PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Trailer Smokers

ChicagoSizzlin
06-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Ok been doing some research and my head is spinning. I have to start looking at bigger cookers soon which can do up to 150 - 200 people. I have been looking at Langs, PCC, Klose, Spicewine, Big Poppa and Backwoods. The thing is most of the offsets seem to need a lot of tending to. Out of all the smokers out there which needs the least attention or is adding like Digi Q's and others a better option? I need to get the best bang for my buck and dont want to end up having any regrets by not spending that extra money for a quality smoker. Now I dont mind tending the fire if Im going to get the better cook for my money but not constant attention. I always end up getting distracted with something albeit kids, work or neighbors coming to chat and drink. Im looking to do some fests next year as well.

Langs - They seem the cheapest out there especially with the grill option. I hear the warming box isnt really good to use for keeping stuff warm but good for indirect stuff. They do not offer insulated fire box and seem to need a lot of attention to keep temps. Plus no insulated box is more fuel. Living in Chicago I can see 3 seasons in one day.

Spicewine - I really like the fact these have a smaller footprint and you can get a lot of food done in them. These are also better insulated which in return lowers fuel consumption. If Im wrong on this please let me know.

Klose - What can you say that hasnt already been said. Top notch smokers but very pricey.

PCC - Local guys to me who make an awesome smoker but for the same price I can get a bigger Lang with a grill. These smokers are pretty nice and the owner is an awesome guy. So having local customer service may go a long way.

Back Woods & Poppa - pretty much awesome smokers but is it worth the shipping when I can go to PCC and pick one up?

I'm just not sure where I should be going here. I would like a smoker with a grill on the trailer but it isnt a deal breaker. I cook a lot of indirect stuff that require temps to be around 350. I also want something that doesnt need constant attention. Now if it just a matter of an add on I can buy like IQue or something please let me know how it is working for ya. I just got my head spinning and I think I more confused on what to do the more I read. I spent the past week emailing and reading and would just like to get some opinions out there. I really appreciate everyones feedback and I know these posts pop up at least once a month. Help me get my sanity back!!

smokinQ2
06-16-2011, 08:18 PM
I am having the same challenge with RF offset cookers. I have used the Langs and they work great, couple of sticks every 2 hours. One thing I have read is to use a Welding blanket on cooker but obviously not on Firebox. I wish they one of them would insulate their Fireboxes. Another choice that comes highly recommended is Bubba's cookers out of GA. Very similar to Lang but less expensive.

ssbbqguy
06-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Check out www.peoriacustomcookers.com (http://www.peoriacustomcookers.com) stick burners, six hour burn time without tending. They advertise in the Bullsheet, good products. Steve.

jonboy
06-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Food for thought....
Decide how many you will cook for,
what you will cook,
what type of fuel you would like to use,
if you enjoy babysitting a cooker....
and then you can make an informed decision.
Of course your circumstances could change and you will own several smokers.
jon

NorthwestBBQ
06-16-2011, 08:55 PM
NorthwestBBQ recommends --->>> http://www.jambopits.com/index.html <<<---

http://www.jambopits.com/J5-2_op_669x446.jpg

CBQ
06-16-2011, 11:46 PM
For the LEAST amount of tending possible, get a pellet smoker like the FEC100 by Cookshack. Push a button to start it, and it will run a couple of days unattended.

Next are the insulated vertical smokers like the Spicewine, Backwoods, Stumps, Superior. You can get an overnight cook out of these, probably longer from the gravity feed models.

Offsets like the Lang or Klose need the most tending. If you are burning charcoal, a Stoker or Guru will prolong your burn time. Using a Stoker on my Klose added 50% on to the time I could spend away from the smoker, plus improved the recovery time if I opened the doors or refueled.

Will32Rod
06-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Gator....I love mine.
If you want a chest type smoker check out thr Gator Rebel.

Lake Dogs
06-17-2011, 06:19 AM
^^^ What they all said above. Also, if you're looking at the Lang, you might also take a look at another well made reverse flow offset smoker; Bubba Grills (he won Memphis in May Ribs this year). www.bubbagrills.net

Wampus
06-17-2011, 07:20 AM
NorthwestBBQ recommends --->>> http://www.jambopits.com/index.html <<<---

http://www.jambopits.com/J5-2_op_669x446.jpg

+1.

It's my personal DREAM to own a Jambo. Beautiful cookers. Perform farkin great too.

Lake Dogs
06-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Yeah yeah yeah, we all pull one here n there dreaming of Jambo's...

ChicagoSizzlin
06-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Like I said guys I need a smoker that doesnt require a lot of attention. Those of you using Langs and other offsets how does using a DigiQ or something similar work for you ? Are you using less fuel and does it need less attention? Im going to contact PCC today and talk them about this.

Jambo cookers are really nice cookers but that is too pricey for me right now.

Big Ron
06-17-2011, 08:19 AM
do your research, there are a bunch of great builders not mentioned. Pitmaker & Pits By JJ are two more I personally recommend. I suggest you first decide on a budget and then go from there. Good Luck!

Braddog
06-17-2011, 08:20 AM
If you're in the Chicago area, how is your access to wood? If you'd have to buy logs for a stick burner, then maybe one of the others would be a better choice.

While I'd love to have a Jambo or a Klose pit, I don't have ready acces to fuel. So I went with a Backwoods and it's pretty low maintenance when I'm cooking on it. I don't use a draft control device and it s still pretty close to " set it and forget it". Additionally, I burn blue bag Kingsford so fuel is never a problem.

With regards to capacity, the Fatboy or larger should easily handle feeding that many people.

Cheers,
Braddog

BigDaddyJT
06-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Sounds like your leaning towards a vertical smoker, which require very little tending. If that is the case, check out Stumps smokers in GA. Their gravity fed models are outstanding. A "Stretch" or a "Platinium 3" will probably fit your needs for 150-200 people. They burn either charcoal or lump fuel and get some really good burn times. I own a "Classic" and had burn times of 18+ hrs @ 225 on a load of briquettes. Add a "Stoker" and your set. Give them a look. Good luck on your choice.

JT

Wyley
06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Here are some others that look nice.

http://www.qualitygrills.com/BBQs/Towable/Products_Mobile%20Caterer.htm

http://www.bbqcookoff.com/

Paul

BBQ PD
06-17-2011, 10:04 AM
I designed my own and had it built, which I am very happy with, but if I were going to do it again, I would seriously look at Pitmaker. Vertical smoker, grill, and offset on the same trailer. Best of all worlds :thumb:.

ChicagoSizzlin
06-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for everyones input. I think I have a better idea on where to go now. Nothing is solid yet but at least I feel a little more comfortable about making the decision. I need to send some emails and talk to some people next week. Im a little way off on making a purchase but I like to plan ahead and have a game plan. Nothing beats getting opinions from people who actually use the smokers and thats what I was looking for.

Mitch
06-17-2011, 09:44 PM
I love my Gator Pit.

NorthwestBBQ
06-17-2011, 09:48 PM
I love my Gator Pit.

You would! :-P

Zenbbqmaster
06-25-2011, 11:14 AM
I designed my own and had it built, which I am very happy with, but if I were going to do it again, I would seriously look at Pitmaker. Vertical smoker, grill, and offset on the same trailer. Best of all worlds :thumb:.

Thanks for the compliments. Just thought you might like to see what BBQ PD was talkin' about:

https://picasaweb.google.com/bbq.pit.meister/CPTBBQTrailerFlames#slideshow/5534667569338398690
http://picasaweb.google.com/bbq.pit.meister/CPTBBQTrailerFlames#slideshow/5534667569338398690

jestridge
06-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Most off set are basically the same., the main thing is the metal thickness,

Zin
06-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Imo, i would have a welder build me a nice firebox and mount a weber rancher kettle on each side of the firebox. Add a 2nd grate to each rancher kettle for extra room. Plenty of room for 150-200 people. Mount the smoker on a trailer and away you go. Cheaper and way more consistent than any other built smoker. Also the weber ranchers would outlast any smoker built and almost zero maintenance to the smoker. The only thing you would have to replace from time to time would be the firebox. And the best thing no rust issues.

RevZiLLa
06-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Talk to that local guy some more. Smokers are not rocket science and you will be able to tell if his is good. I bet he would even let you borrow his personal unit to try it out...

JiveTurkey
06-25-2011, 10:04 PM
+1 for Spicewine here. I cooked tri tip for 300 ppl last month on my medium. Had to do two batches since it was a lot of meat but it did great.

I cook at comps with half a bag of K for 12-14 hours without even touching the firebox. It's on autopilot once it hits 225. And thats with water too. I used to burn sticks in it and still do sometimes but now that I figured out how to get the temps stable using K I pretty much just do that now. Sleep is good.

chad
06-25-2011, 10:23 PM
I've had a Kingfisher BK with 4 shelf rotisserie and grill on the front. It's mounted on a trailer. The firebox feeds primarily the rotisserie (primary cooker) but with the damper you can run from 170 to "OMB" on the "grill".

http://www.kck.com/kingfisher_kookers_specials

Bob is good people. He had mine drop shipped from Oklahoma. If I had it to do over I'd get the 6 shelf rotisserie!!

I've beat the heck out of it for about 6 years and it's just now needing a little TLC. I don't use a guru or any other electronics...but I did have a custom charcoal basket built to hold my fire bed together.