PDA

View Full Version : First post, Pork Shoulder question

martyb
06-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Hello,

I tried to search for a bit but couldn't find the answer to this pretty simple question. I've always liked to grill but had not learned to smoke.(shame on me) I just purchased a Grill Dome and it is pretty cool.

Anyway I have always done well grilling but it's time to learn to slow cook.

I smoked a 7 pound Shoulder over lump with some hickory chunks thrown in. 12 hours and it came out pretty good.

Here's the question. When you fire up the dome the temp rises pretty quick and the lump is only partially lit.

After cooling it down to 225ish is it okay to put the meat on when the lump is only partially lit? Can that cause the meat to be too smokey?

And on the dome should that top vent be open how far??

Thanks in advance!!

Marty

rcorun
06-16-2011, 05:41 PM
ok to get smoke from lump. take that into account when - if using wood chunks. not familar with your grill dome but my guess is to have it open. you need to exhaust that smoke
good luck

Callahan-que
06-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Not quite sure grill you're using. But anyway you want the top vent fully open and use the intake vents to control the temps. Lump will burn quicker and hotter than briquets. You may want to try briquets next time and use the "Minion " method for longer burns and better temp control without having to add fuel as often.

martyb
06-16-2011, 05:47 PM
So using the Minion method would require using briquettes?

PimpSmoke
06-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Not necessarily, but for your purposes briquettes will burn cooler and longer.

Wampus
06-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Partially lit coals is no problem, in fact it's quite common. This allows the coals to each light each other throughout the cook. THIS is the minion method.

Here's a link:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

Saiko
06-16-2011, 06:09 PM
The minion method can be used with any charcoal. Basically it's just dumping some lit charcoal on top of unlit charcoal, and the charcoal bed heats up little by little. It keeps you from having to constantly add more charcoal. It is a VERY common method, and it won't result in your meat being too smokey.
Personally, I use lump charcoal in my smoker, but use briquettes as my "starter". I put about 15-20 briquettes in a chimney starter, and after about 15 minutes I spread the lit briquettes around on top of the lump. After assembling the smoker I then wait about 45 min to an hour to let things calm down before adding the meat. This pic shows how set up for the minion method in my WSM:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/mredman62/Misc2/IMG_0010.jpg

As far as the top vent, ideally it should be wide open all the time. However, if you temps really start getting out of control, don't be afraid to close them down to 1/4 open until your temps are back where you want them.

PimpSmoke
06-16-2011, 06:13 PM
The minion method can be used with any charcoal. Basically it's just dumping some lit charcoal on top of unlit charcoal, and the charcoal bed heats up little by little. It keeps you from having to constantly add more charcoal. It is a VERY common method, and it won't result in your meat being too smokey.
Personally, I use lump charcoal in my smoker, but use briquettes as my "starter". I put about 15-20 briquettes in a chimney starter, and after about 15 minutes I spread the lit briquettes around on top of the lump. After assembling the smoker I then wait about 45 min to an hour to let things calm down before adding the meat. This pic shows how set up for the minion method in my WSM:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/mredman62/Misc2/IMG_0010.jpg

As far as the top vent, ideally it should be wide open all the time. However, if you temps really start getting out of control, don't be afraid to close them down to 1/4 open until your temps are back where you want them.

That's a cool idea, noting.

martyb
06-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Awesome, thanks!!! I did some Dry aged New Yorks last night. With minimal lump and the vents both wide open the Dome reached 750 degrees in about 20 minutes... Great sear!

martyb
06-16-2011, 06:24 PM
I think I oversmoked a bit because to keep the temp down the top was almost all the way closed as was the bottom.....

BBQ Bandit
06-16-2011, 06:26 PM
edit... sage advice above.

You may note a reduction on your intakes as well... because of the efficiencies of cooker and fire management.

caseydog
06-16-2011, 06:31 PM
I think I oversmoked a bit because to keep the temp down the top was almost all the way closed as was the bottom.....

How did it taste? That's all that matters. If you liked the way it tasted, then you didn't over-smoke it.

When smoking on a grill, like yours, you may have to close off every vent if the temperature goes too high.

Try the Minion method. How many lit coals you put on top of the unlit coals depends on your smoker/grill. You will have to experiment. It is better to do too few, and wait for the temperature to come up, than too many, and have to try and bring the temperature down.

CD