PDA

View Full Version : Chile Pequins?

chambersuac
06-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Anyone growing Chile Pequins (aka Bird Peppers and a host of other names)? If so, do you, or will you have enough to share???

They are one of my favorite peppers/chiles. I had plants when I was in TX. Had a few here, but with the short season, not too many on the plants. This year, I have NO garden.

I'd be willing to buy some at a reasonable price - fresh or dried.

Please, take pity on a brother. Have mercy :)

caliking
06-10-2011, 07:37 PM
They are available at the Meximarts here. Would you settle for some bought from one of them? These are the smaller-than-pea-size chiles, correct?

chambersuac
06-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Caliking, yes, smaller than pea sized. Sure, if they are not too expensive from the store. Would you be willing to send some my way? I'll send payment first...

El Ropo
06-10-2011, 07:57 PM
These were from a 6 year old plant in a pot out in the front yard. I think it's called it quits now, since it hasn't sprouted a single leaf this late in the season. The Japs were from the back yard, and the serranos were a gift from a neighbor's yard, grown wild.

FYI, the difference between chili tepins, and chili pequins, is the pequins have a more pointy shape, and the tepins have a pea sized shape. The pequins have a lower heat level that lasts longer (30-40 minutes), and the tepins have a more intense heat that doesn't last as long (10-20 minutes). The pequins have more pepper flavor, but the tepins are better in spicy chili, burritos, tacos, etc.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz189/ElRopo/Chilipeppers001.jpg

Q-Dat
06-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Man the title got me!!!!

I thought I was gonna get to see penguin chili!

landarc
06-10-2011, 08:04 PM
penguin chili, not so common, chilly penguins, now those are common

El Ropo
06-10-2011, 08:27 PM
penguin chili, not so common, chilly penguins, now those are common

Not around here, unless you go to the zoo. :heh:

chambersuac
06-11-2011, 07:20 AM
El Ropo, you are right. Unfortunately (?) many people don't know the difference and label them all the same. When I lived on the border of Mexico, everyone seemed to call all varieties one name - pequin. I like them all :)