PDA

View Full Version : Best Meats in KC Area?

PaddyKC
06-09-2011, 11:23 PM
I've been reading alot about the Paradise Meat Locker in Trimble, MO as the best place to get meats in the Kansas City Area. Is this the spot?

PaddyKC
06-10-2011, 03:12 AM
So I've been talking to people coming in my bar tonight from highend restaurants, and they all say that Paradise Meat Locker is the ****! I've Heard that all the top chefs from all around the country get their meats flown in from Paradise.

AO
06-10-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm a big fan of McGonigle's off of 79th and Ward Parkway, it's higher end on both meat and price. If your looking for a good place to just by some meat I would say restaurant depot would be the place, good stuff at a great price.

I would like to buy my meat from a farm if I could, that would be hella sweet

Jorge
06-10-2011, 10:13 AM
I've heard good things about Bichelmeyer's <sp?> and Scavuzo's.

bover
06-10-2011, 10:22 AM
I've heard good things about Steve's Meat Market in Desoto but haven't had a chance to check it out myself yet. Would like to soon though.

kcmike
06-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Paradise Meats and Bichelmeyer's are my picks for the top two places in KC to get meat. Both have their own farms and/or use local beef and kill and process on site. Outside of those two, I think that Sam's Club, Costco, and RD are the next best places and themselves are all about equal. Their meat all comes from the same producers so it's really all about price/grade when I shop there. Any other "custom" meat shops in KC are all really the same as RD/Sam's/Costco. They get their beef from exactly the same producers, so shopping there is really more about service than exceptional meat quality. McGonigle's falls into this category. They have really good meat, but it's really no different than what's available at Sam's. However, they really take care of their customers and will bend over backwards for them, this is what sets them apart. Regarding Scavuzzo's... I bought a case of brisket points from Scavuzzo's one time and was NOT happy with the quality, so I've never been back there and I've heard others complain about the same issues I experienced, so buyer beware...

Mike

Kcbigben
06-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Good info. I like paradise, but I'm north so it's not far.

Angrypig
06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
I just started buying meat at Paradise. Recently bought a few of everything, including my first Waygu brisket. I think the meat is better than what I have been getting and it is only 20 minutes from my house, so Paradise works for me. McGonigles is also a nice market but a lot further from my home. You can't go wrong with either one.

kcmike
06-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I just started buying meat at Paradise. Recently bought a few of everything, including my first Waygu brisket. I think the meat is better than what I have been getting and it is only 20 minutes from my house, so Paradise works for me. McGonigles is also a nice market but a lot further from my home. You can't go wrong with either one.

Oh yeah... I totally forgot about Paradise carrying Waygu... I think they may be the only place in KC that does. Plus, Mario and Teresa are great folks. Good call.

AO
06-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Looks like I have a couple of new places I need to check out

Smokin Mike
06-10-2011, 12:26 PM
If anyone is in the Western Shawnee area, A Cut Above (http://www.acanaturalmeats.com/contact.htm) has excellent meat, I know that the brisket from that store got 1st place at a very large contest, and the pork is high quality. Not sure about the ribs or chicken, everytime I go, he seems to have alot of shiners on the ribs, and no chicken thighs,,,,

PaddyKC
06-13-2011, 02:12 PM
So I took the 30 mile trip from Westport to Paradise Meat Locker on Friday. I bought a Vintage Natural Brisket that Nick the Butcher highly recommended, because he didn't want to sell me a Waygu that hadn't been aged long enough. I thought that was cool! I didn't like the fact that all there ribs where stone cold frozen. So no easy let the butcher put the St Louis cuts down for you... I think I'll stay with Bichelmeyer's for ribs. Definitely worth checking out, cool place..http://www.vintagenaturalbeef.com/AboutUs.aspx