PDA

View Full Version : new bandera

ricknct
02-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Just got my cut from the profits from my company. Looking for a new smoker. Where's the best place to start looking? Want to do the Bandera thing. Should I look at the local home supply(Lowes, Home Depot),or are there direct factory/dealorship options? What am I looking for in a good smoker that will last for good bit of time? THanks. :D

BBQchef33
02-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Real question is whats your budget??

If ya wan to to stay with the bandera style.. think ya should look for the Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe.. charbroils phasing out the bandera it seems. Brinkman has a nice line. check them out.

http://www.thebrinkmanncorp.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=8&CATID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=15

brdbbq
02-25-2005, 09:00 PM
think ya should look for the Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe..

Ask me tomorrow.

jeffsasmokin
02-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Rick, as phil stated...........what's your price range? IMHO, I would try to find a Bandera as opposed to the BSKD. Even though they may or may not be phasing them out, I feel it is a superior product. I'm not knocking any SKD owners or touting the 'Dera because I have one. But I can say that when my WIFE can notice the difference in craftsmanship........I have to raise an eyebrow. The SKD does have a rain-proof vent cap which is nice, and I like the idea of the water pan that slides out. Both are good units for the price and BSKD's are easier to find..............but if you can track down a Bandera, I'd recommend it.

As a side note to Phil, I believe he is recommending the BSKD for ease of replacement parts. In time (if not now.........still debatable) you probably won't be able to obtain replacements for the 'Dera. But with proper care, will last a long, long time.

Good luck with your search, and let us know what you decide.

Neil
02-27-2005, 09:05 AM
If money isn't an option, why not have Klose make you one like Phil's?

racer_81
02-27-2005, 10:33 AM
think ya should look for the Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe..

Ask me tomorrow.

Well. It's tomorrow.

TangSooDoMan
02-27-2005, 10:46 AM
If you have an Acadamy Sports, go there. They sell dera's there for $198.
:shock:

kcquer
02-27-2005, 11:12 AM
The SKD does have a rain-proof vent cap which is nice, and I like the idea of the water pan that slides out.

Jeff, you fail to mention that the BSKD also has wheels that don't fall off, a superior fold down shelf and better cooking grate supports.
But I can say that when my WIFE can notice the difference in craftsmanship........I have to raise an eyebrow.

Having seen a lot of both models at contests, I haven't seen this at all without going back to New Braunfels models made in the states. The paint is still on my BSKD lid, how 'bout your higher quality Bandera?

jeffsasmokin
02-27-2005, 11:50 AM
The SKD does have a rain-proof vent cap which is nice, and I like the idea of the water pan that slides out.

Jeff, you fail to mention that the BSKD also has wheels that don't fall off, a superior fold down shelf and better cooking grate supports.
But I can say that when my WIFE can notice the difference in craftsmanship........I have to raise an eyebrow.
Having seen a lot of both models at contests, I haven't seen this at all without going back to New Braunfels models made in the states. The paint is still on my BSKD lid, how 'bout you 'dera owners?I had a feeling I'd hear from you on this issue. :D A drill, cotter pin and washer solved that problem.

Yes. mine's still there, but I oil my firebox after each use, too. Seriouslly, the SKD's I've seen down here at Lowe's are very poor. They are noticeably shorter and the material was inferior, including the cooking grates. Cheryl looked at it and said: "Ooh, I don't like that one!" She's been around mine long enough to decipher the difference.

This is only one Man's opinion, plus, I don't think that Lowes has a very good assembly team............it was extremely loose and rickety.

jt
02-28-2005, 07:56 AM
The paint is still on my BSKD lid, how 'bout your higher quality Bandera?

LOL I have a thick coat of baked-on oil on my firebox. There's no paint there at all! :(

Arlin_MacRae
02-28-2005, 12:50 PM
The paint is still on my BSKD lid, how 'bout your higher quality Bandera?

LOL I have a thick coat of baked-on oil on my firebox. There's no paint there at all! :(

Does 'mostly there' count? Come on, I burn wood up there! :)

ricknct
03-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Think I'm Going with the banderas model from Academy Sports. They have it for $198.00, w/ free shipping under certain conditions. Will phone my order in tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice. Can't wait for it already. Have to start to download all the modifications, and get ready to start right in. :D

Jorge
03-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Think I'm Going with the banderas model from Academy Sports. They have it for $198.00, w/ free shipping under certain conditions. Will phone my order in tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice. Can't wait for it already. Have to start to download all the modifications, and get ready to start right in. :D

I might be missing something on the site, but I don't think they ship.

tommykendall
03-05-2005, 11:58 PM

I saw it on the site - misleading mod. They ship their gift certificates free of charge. That's all they ship I think

jeffsasmokin
03-06-2005, 02:24 AM

I saw it on the site - misleading mod. They ship their gift certificates free of charge. That's all they ship I thinkI couldn't find it on the site either. Rick, you made a good choice............I really hope you can treck one down!

ricknct
03-09-2005, 07:06 PM
After looking more closer at the site, I realize you guys are right. I think it is the gift certificates they ship free. So it's back to the hunt for the banderta. Home Depots around here say they don't have all their grills in yet this season, but the SKU # I gave them, comes up blank(133-742)
Will keep bugging them until they get more stock in. Thanks for all the advise guys, I'll keep you posted. If anyone hears of a site or store where I can find a New Braunfels bandera, let me know please.

The_Kapn
03-09-2005, 07:29 PM
After looking more closer at the site, I realize you guys are right. I think it is the gift certificates they ship free. So it's back to the hunt for the banderta. Home Depots around here say they don't have all their grills in yet this season, but the SKU # I gave them, comes up blank(133-742)
Will keep bugging them until they get more stock in. Thanks for all the advise guys, I'll keep you posted. If anyone hears of a site or store where I can find a New Braunfels bandera, let me know please.
It will most likely take an "out of region" search at Home Depot.
That requires a Manager to do it--the Dude or Dudette in Customer Service does not have the "database access horsepower"!
That is how I found mine and had it shipped in (their expense) as an inter-store transfer.

TIM

ricknct
03-09-2005, 08:02 PM
It will most likely take an "out of region" search at Home Depot.
That requires a Manager to do it--the Dude or Dudette in Customer Service does not have the "database access horsepower"!
That is how I found mine and had it shipped in (their expense) as an inter-store transfer.

TIMThanks kapndsl, I'll go back tommorrow and talk to a real manager and hopefully get some answers.

scottm4300
03-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Whoa - this works with the manager? I gotta try that! I had someone at Home Depot Corporate in Tampa trying to find one for me and she couldn't. If this manager thing really works - I'll be all over that tactic!!

Keep us posted on how this works for you!

417bullelk
03-09-2005, 11:35 PM
My brother is a manager at HD. I'll see what he can dig up.

NCGrimbo
03-10-2005, 11:42 AM
I bought mine yesterday at Wal-Mart. It was stored on a shelf about 20 feet off the floor and the associate said that it had been there for over a year. He also said that they weren't carrying it anymore.

jeffsasmokin
03-10-2005, 03:48 PM
I bought mine yesterday at Wal-Mart. It was stored on a shelf about 20 feet off the floor and the associate said that it had been there for over a year. He also said that they weren't carrying it anymore.Well, aren't you the lucky one! :D

BigAl
03-17-2005, 05:33 PM
And IMHO it is just a matter of time before they will be discontinued. Much more profit margin in the gassers and the tree huggers are worried about the smoke we make!