PDA

View Full Version : Newbie uds build question

fireitup
06-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Being I have been given a 55 gal drum and a fire basket I have decided to build a UDS. The person giving me the drum and the fire basket has a machine shop and is going to drill me my holes and weld on my pipes. I would like to do this before cleaning the drum because I need to borrow a friends truck in order to get the drum home.

I would think that I would be able to burn the drum clean after it's built but I just want to be sure. What say you?

My second question is about the cleaning process. I live in a populated area (NJ) and can't do the normal burn a couple of skids. Is there another option? The barrel had an alcohol solution that was used to clean machine parts in it.

Thanks in advance.

Can't wait to FIRE IT UP and cook some Q!

zwylde1
06-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Get a weed burner! Then not only will you have fun cleaning the barrel, you will have a great and easy way to lite your charcoal basket!

fireitup
06-09-2011, 12:20 PM
do I need to torch it for?

1FUNVET
06-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Does it have a lining ?

fireitup
06-09-2011, 01:42 PM
No it does not.

BBQpower
06-10-2011, 06:43 PM
even tho your drum has no lining it will have some sort of residue from whatever it held before. I even got a brand new 30 gal drum and sure it still needs to be burnt out. This will burn any residues in the drum.

and yea, torch it!