PDA

View Full Version : Can you really taste the difference between

pigdog
06-06-2011, 01:45 PM
various woods? As hard as I've tried, I can't taste the difference between most woods with the exception of mesquite wood. I would attribute it to smoking on a uds with the pit taste, but even with the wsm or diffuser in my drums, I can't. I can smell the difference. Anyone else in my boat?

jimithing78
06-06-2011, 01:49 PM
I can certainly taste the difference between the stronger woods like pecan, oak or mesquite. I can't really taste the difference between apple or cherry. Maybe it's because they're lighter in flavor and I'm not using enough wood.

gtr
06-06-2011, 01:57 PM
May be a function of the cooker. I use a stickburner and I can definitely tell the difference between hickory, oak, and apple. Oak and hickory are stronger, I find oak to have a "darker" taste. Apple is lighter in taste and hickory is sweeter than oak I think. Hickory is my go to, but I love them all. I haven't used much else in the offset, but I will throw some pecan or cherry chunks in my kettle. I haven't used a WSM or UDS so I can't really speak to that. My guess is you get more smoke flavor with a stick burner 'cause obviously more wood is being used.

Lake Dogs
06-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Subtle differences between pecan and hickory, but oak stands out, and so do the fruit woods, they each have a very defined taste they leave behind. And mesquite, WOW is it a very distinctive. Yes, I can tell the difference.

Shoot, in something like turkey I can tell you if they've mixed woods, like I'll sometimes mix in some cherry with apple or maple, and they're all very distinctive.

Agreed with above, probably a function of the smoker itself.

hnd
06-06-2011, 02:06 PM
i wonder sometimes if when using charcoal the charcoal smoke doesn't dominate the smoke flavor when you use the minion method in lieu of burning only wood.

i can notice the difference when all i'm doing is stick burning, but when i'm using charcoal, its hard to tell the difference at times.

boogiesnap
06-06-2011, 02:11 PM
in my WSM, apple, cherry, pecan, and hickory, all have their own flavors.
apple and cherry with a bit of hickory has been my goto, but, lately, i've dropped the cherry.

Dustin D
06-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Cooking Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast with different wood/wood chips will defintely come out in the taste.

As far as Pork and Beef go, not sure.

Lake Dogs
06-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I just thought about something. Pigdog, do you smoke? I dont, and the flavors/smells are VERY different. I'm wondering if this is a factor?

Grumpy T
06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I cant tell the difference on my UDS either... but I am still pretty new to all this as well so take what i say with a grain of salt (maybe a pinch of rub as well)

Groundhog66
06-06-2011, 02:20 PM
I've never attempted to tell the difference, so I guess I'm not sure :confused:

purplestarrider
06-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I can taste the difference between alot of the woods. Apple and Cherry i can't but I will say i really don't like the Mesquite. however the rest of my family does. I was told that i should try sassafras (sp??) that most who don't like the mesquite usually like it and those that do usually like it as well. I will say i did like it.

JMSetzler
06-06-2011, 02:28 PM
I think a large part of the difference between woods in my personal experience is the aroma. A couple of the woods such as hickory, mesquite, and oak definitely have a more powerful flavor element than some of the other fruit woods...

Bamabuzzard
06-06-2011, 02:31 PM
I can taste the difference in fruit woods compared to hickory and/or oak. Hickory and oak impart a stronger flavor. Fruit woods impart a much more subtle and at times unnoticeable flavor. I use a hickory oak mix and love it. I hate mequite.

smokeyw
06-06-2011, 02:59 PM
So would you say that most taste the difference as merely the strength of the smoke more than the flavor? That would be my guess.

I can taste the difference in fruit woods compared to hickory and/or oak. Hickory and oak impart a stronger flavor. Fruit woods impart a much more subtle and at times unnoticeable flavor. I use a hickory oak mix and love it. I hate mequite.

pigdog
06-06-2011, 03:11 PM
L Dogs- no don't smoke, but I do have allergies and I've wondered if that maybe plays a part.

HND= You might be on to something with the charcoal. I've never used a stickburner so I'll have to defer to your expertise there.

smokeyw- I would say you hit it correct with the varying degrees of smoke for me. I can definitely tell stronger smoke tastes, but no discernment. Although Dogs can discern many different tastes.

Thanks all

Smokin Patriots
06-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I can absolutely tell the difference, but I notice it depends on your sauces and/ or rubs that you use. Some compliment and bring out the smoke flavors well, some mask the flavor.

RevZiLLa
06-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Absolutely can taste the difference

BlueHowler
06-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I can tell the difference and really like the lighter flavored woods. I use a mix of lump and briqs with wood chips.

One of the best smokes I did with chicken and pork is spend around 2 hours taking the meat out of pecan nuts and using the shells to smoke with.

The flavor was great but the labor involved means I'll probably not use pecan shells again.

I've found that maple, apple, orange, and mulberry woods work best for my tastes.

Q-Dat
06-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Mesquite, I can definitely pick out if there is more than a small amount. Some fruit woods can give a sweet flavor. I have noticed this the most with Plum, and Cherry.

Pecan is probably my favorite smelling smoke, but as far as taste goes, I can't tell a whole lot of difference in Pecan, Oak, and Hickory. Smell yes, but taste no.

Puppyboy
06-07-2011, 12:25 AM
I can smell and taste a difference but my wife says it's all in my head. She can't tell a difference.

bbq ron
06-07-2011, 06:55 AM
with a stick burner, you can tell the difference between all of them i think :-P:-P

Dallas Dan
06-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Are you matching the right woods to the meat? That could be the reason.

Alder: A medium, tart smoke taste. Best with fish, meat, game.
Maple: Sweet, hearty smoke flavor. Best with fish, jerky, bacon.
Apple: A light sweet flavor. Superb with poultry, ham, sausage.
Hickory: Heavy smoke flavor. Best with beef, pork, game.
Mesquite: A light, smoke flavor. Best with fish, poultry, beef.
Cherry: Distinctive & delicious. Best with ALL dark meats, game.
Pecan: A rich, sweet flavor. Versatile, goes well with everything.
Oak: Heavy smoke flavor. Is best with beef, lamb and pork.
Grapevine: A strong smoke flavor. Best with beef and poultry.

Soybomb
06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I'd put money on me being able to call out mesquite, hickory, and pecan. Fruitwoods I can't tell apart as readily. Try smoking some chicken and go light on the rub and no sauce, really let the smoke flavors pop.

Bamabuzzard
06-07-2011, 01:29 PM
So would you say that most taste the difference as merely the strength of the smoke more than the flavor? That would be my guess.

"Smoke", "flavor", I don't know which it is but I do know the taste of the end product is different with different kinds of wood.

Lake Dogs
06-07-2011, 01:41 PM
"Smoke", "flavor", I don't know which it is but I do know the taste of the end product is different with different kinds of wood.

We've worked on our competition flavor profile to the point where actually it's just not as good with pecan at all and doesnt taste nearly as great with just hickory as it does with hickory and one (yes, one and only 1) split piece of red oak. We actually can taste the difference....

For chicken, in comps, we allow the smoke to burn off so there is no fresh wood going on the fire, it gets a small helping of very thin sweet blue hickory and sometimes I'll throw a chunk of apple on there just for fun.

jestridge
06-07-2011, 02:27 PM
i don't think it make much difference when you use charcoal especially those little square thing it overpower the wood flavor

Bill-Chicago
06-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Agreed with above, probably a function of the smoker itself.

Shoot, in something like turkey I can tell you if they've mixed woods, like I'll sometimes mix in some cherry with apple or maple, and they're all very distinctive.

I quoted you in reverse order LD, because I agree some smokers will be burning wood, while others will smolder wood making identification of wood flavors more or less distinctive, but meat selection is also a big factor.

Turkey (as mentioned), chicken, and fish really seem to soak up the flavor or the wood being used (from my own observations).

Pork (butts) can be a little harder to pick up the exact flavors because alot of the meat is not being penetrated by the smoke. Cooked by the heat yes, but very little surface area to come in contact with the smoke.

Ribs: I taste the distintive smoke flavors in ribs, especially babybacks. Hell, the entire meat portion of the rib is pink and fully been affected by the flavor. Still love cherry wood the most on ribs.

Brisket, although plenty of surface area, is a bit tougher for me to discern when wood is being used. Maybe as it is one of the tougher cuts? Don't know.

Just my .02.

Good after lunch topic!

Edit: and Phil use to get his hands on mulberry that smelled/tasted like cotton candy. Never could get my hands on it here!

Bill-Chicago
06-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Mesquite, I can definitely pick out if there is more than a small amount.

Mesquite has a muddy, earthy taste to it.

No?

JD08
06-07-2011, 02:45 PM
I prefer my baby backs with cherry wood. I think it combines with my rub better than the other woods I've tried.

Wampus
06-07-2011, 02:47 PM
I can't say I can (or have really tried) tell the difference in the finished meats. I can definitely tell the difference in the smoke coming from the smoker, but not sure I can in the meats.

As said, when I am using the stick burner, it's MUCH more distinct. Likely because it's burning cleanly (if I'm doing it right:becky:) instead of smoldering with charcoal. I distinctly recall coming out of the house one time and after smelling the stickburner saying, "Mmmmmmm.......cherry....."

I mostly attribute this to my sever lack of experience in this. I'd guess that those who can have been doing this a LOT longer than I have.

brickie
06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Mesquite tends to be a little too strong for my taste. Apple or cherry is what I use most.

brickie