PDA

View Full Version : WSM in the RAIN

sammyman
06-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Trying pork butt today in the rain. This is the first time to do pork butt and the first time to do it in the rain. What should I expect for cooking times.

I am cooking 4.5lbs of pork butt, so I am guessing 6.75 hours - 9 hours. Will it be longer because of the rain? It is also kinda windy here in the bay area. Any advice?

I am trying to follow http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
06-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Since rain will get between the lid and the middle section you are much better off finding a way to cover the entire top. Some lash a big umbrella over the top. I have even used a Weber Kettle lid balanced or hung over the top of mine. Wind is a problem too. Find a way to block most of it.

R2Egg2Q
06-04-2011, 05:08 PM
^^ what HeSmellsLike... says is sound advice.

Pork butt is really forgiving so if you find yourself pressed for time don't be afraid to push your cooking temp a little higher than the 225-250 range from the cook info you're following.

Another option is to foil it when internal temp reaches around 165. It'll cook faster but you won't get as defined a bark. But for your first butt, you should probably just keep it simple.

Lovely farkin' June weather we're having here in the Bay Area.

I see you're new here. If you haven't already done so, introduce yourself over in Cattle Call for a proper Brethren welcome!

grilling24x7
06-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Wind kills the WSM. I'd focus on blocking the wind first. I don't think light rain will be a problem. If its a downpour then I'd focus on blocking that too.

bmanMA
06-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Yup wind is #1 issue. I've smoked in downpours and that isn't that bigga deal as whatever water makes it in typically finds it's way down to the fire bowl. We've had it where the bottom bowl is filled up to the vent holes, flowing out (Lexington MA comp a few weeks ago). WSM still held temps. For the top vent, you can just rig something simple if it's really pouring (foil, bowl, etc).

JMSetzler
06-05-2011, 12:47 AM
I picked up a 10x10 pop up canopy recently on sale for $59 for just such occasions. This canopy has optional side wall attachments that I can get for $29 each if I would need a shield from the wind also...