PDA

View Full Version : Question about UDS Build

worknomore
06-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I am making a basket and am running short on height. Is 24 inches between the coal grate and the cooking great a necessity or could I get away with 22". What would happen by having it closer? Thanks

OakPit
06-01-2011, 09:05 PM
The 24" number has been thrown out there in the master UDS thread. It is indeed nominal. By reducing this dimension, your product would be closer and receive a bit higher cook temperature. Set your thermo. at the grate height and make adjustments as needed. I've got a UDS that rides just over 20" and it is fine.

Just my .02, but you'll be fine.

colonel00
06-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Yes it can be closer. Its more of a suggestion that an rule to be 22-24" from the bottom of the coal basket to the grate.

Here is a math problem based on my main UDS:

The drum is 34" tall with a Weber lid on top. My top rack is 2" down from the top and the bottom rack is 6" down from that. My charcoal basket sits 2" above a pizza pan that acts as a ash tray. The sides of the basket are 12" tall. So, if the basket is full of charcoal, how close is the charcoal to the bottom rack?

Answer: 12"

My basket is rarely full as that is more charcoal than any burn would ever need. The point is that even though I do have the 24" from the bottom of the basket to the first grate, the fire is most often much closer.

worknomore
06-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks all.

ssbbqguy
06-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Mine are on two rack 55gal. models - each rack 7 3/4" from top and 7 3/4" lower than upper one. then one half " to top of Water Pan, then Smoker Plate. then firebox 2" lower. Works fine. Steve.