PDA

View Full Version : Help me save a Good One - Restoration Advice Needed

colonel00
05-28-2011, 08:48 PM
I posted my craigslist score here (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107504) where I scored a Good One Rodeo for free. Now, it had been neglected and and really needs some love to get back in shape. Please chime in with any advice you have as this is something I really haven't done before. Thanks in advance for any input.

Obviously the most obvious issue is the rust. I have started cleaning out all the ash, rust and other crap in both chambers. The rust on the outside I an handle but the stuff on the inside I am not sure what to do with. In the firebox is it crucial to get it back to bare metal? I ask because it will be pointless to paint as that will just burn off. Any opinions on how to handle this?
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/colonel00/IMAG0130.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/colonel00/IMAG0129.jpg

For the cook chamber there is obviously still a ton of rust but not nearly as thick. I plan to hit the inside and racks with a pressure washer to get off what I can. From there what is the best course of action? I was originally planning to try to get it down to bare metal and do a good seasoning. Is it necessary to get it bare though or can I season over that light rust?
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/colonel00/IMAG0128.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/colonel00/IMAG0127.jpg

chibi
05-28-2011, 09:02 PM
I would either have it sandblasted or get a wire wheel that attaches to a drill or grinder and go to town. As long as you get the majority of the scale off and season it well it should last a while.

ksace
05-28-2011, 11:27 PM
The easiest thing for you would be to let me come and take it off your hands! :wink:

I am so envious about your score, I have wanted one of those for a long time. Sorry, I have nothing helpful to offer but thought I would give you some guff. I can't imagine a deal like that coming along again but I got to start being more vigilant on CL.

Mega-Congratulations on your new acquisition.

landarc
05-29-2011, 12:55 AM
I would say it depends on budget. I would consider media blasting if it is a thing you can get done cheap enough. Otherwise, it is wire wheel time. I would at least get rid of the bulk of rust scale from the fire box as well, then season everything.

Hoss
05-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Fire it up and fuggetaboutit.4 or 5 cooks and you'll never know the difference.:thumb:

Boshizzle
05-29-2011, 01:07 AM
BBQ Bandit did something similar recently with a Lang although it was not quite as rusted. Check out this thread and you may get some inspiration.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103120

ianjoe
05-29-2011, 01:10 AM
I agree on getting it blasted if its possible. Otherwise just grind it down the best you can. Either way I think it will last a long time.

h20loo
05-29-2011, 07:25 AM
A small plastic swimming pool and.... http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tools/Electrolysis.htm

This is a lot like smoking- you sit back with a beverage and watch it work!

colonel00
05-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the advice. I was able to track down a buddy last night that has some connections with some places that might be able to sand blast for cheap. Since it was a free score I am not opposed to putting a little money into it to get it back to a functional condition.

jestridge
05-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Have it rusted through in any spots do you see any pen holes? If you have any of those things prolly not worth your time

colonel00
05-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Have it rusted through in any spots do you see any pen holes? If you have any of those things prolly not worth your time

I have not found anywhere where its rusted through. The outside of the firebox and the inside of the cook chamber pretty much have surface rust. The inside of the firebox has the most rust where its scaling pretty good but I still don't see anywhere where its gone all the way through. I am gonna hit it with a power washer here in a bit and a wire wheel to try to get most of the scale and loose debris off. That should give me a better idea of where I stand.

got14u
05-29-2011, 12:06 PM
buy your own sandblaster from Harbor freight and some sand and go to town on it yourself....It's probably cheaper then having someone else do it.

colonel00
05-29-2011, 12:06 PM
The easiest thing for you would be to let me come and take it off your hands! :wink:

I am so envious about your score, I have wanted one of those for a long time. Sorry, I have nothing helpful to offer but thought I would give you some guff. I can't imagine a deal like that coming along again but I got to start being more vigilant on CL.

Mega-Congratulations on your new acquisition.

As I mentioned in the other thread, there are some sweet apps for smart phones and even web sites you can use from your computer that will scour CL for key words and notify you when the pop up. Thanks for the guff :thumb:

colonel00
05-29-2011, 12:13 PM
buy your own sandblaster from Harbor freight and some sand and go to town on it yourself....It's probably cheaper then having someone else do it.

Hmm, that is an interesting thought. I see mixed reviews on their site. Do you have personal experience with their blaster?

expatpig
05-29-2011, 01:01 PM
rust never sleeps, have it blasted, season it and be done with it. good luck!

colonel00
05-29-2011, 05:41 PM
I was on board with picking up a blaster from HF. Even have permission from the girlfriend and have a 25% off coupon for tomorrow. However, in doing some research it seems I need a monster compressor with a large CFM rating to operate the blaster. That may be a setback. For what it would cost for a compressor and blaster I could have it done for me. However, I wouldn't mind having a blaster around for other projects like a trailer and UDS drums that have liners.

I hit it with a power washer today to get more of the rust and gunk out. I managed to create quite a mess of the driveway and myself but its looking much better inside.
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/colonel00/IMAG0134.jpg

I also went ahead and cut out the expanded metal in the fire box as it was pretty warped and thinning. Should be easy enough to pick up a drop from a local metal shop to replace that.
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/colonel00/IMAG0137.jpg]

got14u
05-29-2011, 06:30 PM
It's lookin better already.....as for the sand blaster I don't have any personal experience but in high and site a sand blaster is a very simple tool with minimal moving parts. I would get one for the simple fact it is cheap and how many times are you really going to use it. I am planning on buying one in the near future.

colonel00
05-29-2011, 07:53 PM
What kind of compressor do you have? Like I said, I was all about this until I thought about the fact that I only have a little pancake compressor and that will definitely will not do. I started looking at "affordable" compressors but even they do not have the recommended CFM to handle a blaster. Based on everything I have been reading today I would need a huge 60-80 gallon compressor and dropping $500-800 plus the cost of an electrician to wire up the 240V just seems like a huge money dump. I could probably have the whole thing blasted and powder coated for that cost.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to do it. I think it would be fun to try something new and it would be quite handy to have a blaster around. I could definitely help out local brethren that have lined drums and want to make UDS's. Maybe I can make another great score on CL for a compressor.

BBQpower
05-29-2011, 08:51 PM
I say just get it done somewhere and call it a day.
For something like that it should run you about $50-$150 to get it blasted.
Nice find and FREE?!?!?!:clap2:
I would put about $500 into restoring that baby.

got14u
05-30-2011, 01:51 AM
I didn't think about the compressor issue as I have a big one....hopefully you can just find someone who can do it for you then. What kind of compressor do you have? Like I said, I was all about this until I thought about the fact that I only have a little pancake compressor and that will definitely will not do. I started looking at "affordable" compressors but even they do not have the recommended CFM to handle a blaster. Based on everything I have been reading today I would need a huge 60-80 gallon compressor and dropping $500-800 plus the cost of an electrician to wire up the 240V just seems like a huge money dump. I could probably have the whole thing blasted and powder coated for that cost.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to do it. I think it would be fun to try something new and it would be quite handy to have a blaster around. I could definitely help out local brethren that have lined drums and want to make UDS's. Maybe I can make another great score on CL for a compressor.

Smokin' D
05-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Well here you go. Here is a pic of the spinner stud sans spinner. It's a 5/16" round headed bolt with an Allen drive. It protrudes 1" from the face of cross piece.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o101/RabNab/P5300440.jpg

Spinner in place

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o101/RabNab/P5300441.jpg

and the missing grill grate

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o101/RabNab/P5300443.jpg

Hope that helps some.

colonel00
05-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks. Are your top, exhaust spinners the same design? Obviously the four firebox spinners are missing but there are tapped holes there. My top spinners actually have the bolt attached to them and the whole thing spins into the hole. However, I do think I like this design and might have to mimic it.

Pyle's BBQ
05-30-2011, 10:51 PM
On the new Good One's the spinners are all the same. I saw a few new ones at the comp this weekend. My spinners are the same as yours and need replacing. The nut on the inside of the firebox is rusted and stripped out. I was thinking of getting the butterfly vents to replace these. My top vents still work great.

colonel00
05-30-2011, 11:15 PM
On the new Good One's the spinners are all the same. I saw a few new ones at the comp this weekend. My spinners are the same as yours and need replacing. The nut on the inside of the firebox is rusted and stripped out. I was thinking of getting the butterfly vents to replace these. My top vents still work great.

Interesting. Please let me know what you decide to do. I have limited fabrication skills and tools dealing with thick metals from scratch but I was just planning on replicating the original design. Its pretty straight forward with a circular metal disc with a bolt welded on one side that screws in and a bolt with a spring on the other for cranking. Worst case I can have some shop cut them for me. Still though, I am always interested in ideas and advice.

Pyle's BBQ
05-30-2011, 11:18 PM
My problem is that the spinners act as a secondary system to keep my ash trays in. I couldn't tell from the picture, do you have an ash tray in the bottom of the firebox?

thenewguy
05-31-2011, 12:58 AM
The new style spinners are....you are sitting down right?.....$50 each!
They are much nicer than the old style, the older ones will break on you over time.

Smokin' D
05-31-2011, 08:23 AM
My problem is that the spinners act as a secondary system to keep my ash trays in. I couldn't tell from the picture, do you have an ash tray in the bottom of the firebox?

Which model do you have?

There is an ash tray under the fire box. It slides in from the end like a drawer and is the full size of the firebox. Heavy and a bit awkward, yet effective!

And even though this was already answered: yes, all the spinners are the same.

colonel00
05-31-2011, 10:13 AM

Yes. In the pic with the power washer above the ash tray is standing up on the far side of the utility trailer. You can see where it slides into the end of the firebox. It has its own latch that holds it in place. The spinners on this unit at least do not seem to have anything to do with the ash tray.

The new style spinners are....you are sitting down right?.....$50 each!
They are much nicer than the old style, the older ones will break on you over time.

Yeah, I was pointed to this (http://www.dtydirect.com/Outdoor-Cooking/Grills-amp-Smokers/Smoker-Parts/?SelectedFacetValues=Brand~TheGoodOne) site by The Good One customer service for replacement parts. Fairly limited and only the new style for $35.

Pyle's BBQ
05-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Which model do you have?

There is an ash tray under the fire box. It slides in from the end like a drawer and is the full size of the firebox. Heavy and a bit awkward, yet effective!

And even though this was already answered: yes, all the spinners are the same.

I have the Trail Boss. There are 2 ash pans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk