PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder questions (not the whole thing)

EssexBoy
05-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I just picked up a 7 pound piece of beef shoulder. This is something new for me so I am look for info. I see a good bit of info on the site about cooking much larger pieces (15-20#) but not so much smaller pieces.

At this point, I am planning to stub the meat with garlic cloves. Rub with olive oil, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Cook on the WSM, with some hickory and apple chunks, at about 250 until the internal temperature is about 165. At that point, I will move the roast to a foil pan, cover, increase the pit temperature to 325 - 350 and contine to cook until the internal temp is about 205 (looking for a nice pull).

The big question is, how long should I expect this to take? Will sarting a 6:00AM have this ready for dinner or should I consider an overnight cook for this? :confused:

EssexBoy
05-28-2011, 12:54 PM
By the way, when I move the meat to a covered pan, I plan to add a bit of liquid. Sort of like a braise. Red wine maaybe?

JONESY
05-28-2011, 12:57 PM
I would stay away from red wine as your braise liquid, try some beer or beef stock, just be sure your stock isn't to salty. As far as time, you should be good.

campdude
05-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Every piece of meat is different, but I would say a 7 pounder would take from 6 to 10 hours at those temps. You may not need to go to 205 for pulled beef. Start checking tenderness in the mid 190's. As for seasonings, go with flavors you like. There is no right or wrong.

EssexBoy
05-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I will plan putting this on in the morning. Maybe I can even post some pics. If I can find my camera.