PDA

View Full Version : charcoal basket

Austin
02-15-2005, 01:49 PM
would someone be so kinda and explain how this thing works???I usally cook with charcoal and wood logs can i still use it?

MrSmoker
02-15-2005, 02:09 PM
I use one divider so that i have 2/3 for charcoal on the smoker side and put one chiminey of unlit charcoal in it than add one lit chiminey on top of that.I put a split log in the 1/3 side and by the time i'm up to 225 ( about 30 min.) i put on the meat and the preheated log on the charcoal. Then put another log in to preheat. Add logs as needed and usually one more lit chiminey off charcoal will give me a five hour cook. I have been holding at 225 to 250 deg. this way.

jeffsasmokin
02-15-2005, 06:53 PM
There are several schools of thought..........besides Mr. Smokers method, you can divide it into thirds and place a chimney full of lit in the first section and about halfway through it's burn, pour another of unlit into the next and allow it to slowly ignite through the plates. Continue this process into the next chamber and so on. You can also pre-heat your splits atop your firebox lid during cooking. Adjust your door damper accordingly.

MrSmoker
02-15-2005, 07:51 PM
I tried that Jeff and couldn't get up to temp. with 1/3 lit.

jeffsasmokin
02-16-2005, 05:31 AM
I tried that Jeff and couldn't get up to temp. with 1/3 lit.Really? I know Solidkick said location and altitude can greatly effect your temp ranges. That worked well for me on it's maiden voyage last weekend here in So. Fla.

MrSmoker
02-16-2005, 06:40 AM
Jeff how long did it take to get your smoke box up to 225? Maybe i was in to impatient.

jeffsasmokin
02-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Jeff how long did it take to get your smoke box up to 225? Maybe i was in to impatient.I'd say about 30 - 40 minutes. Not real sure cause it was a spur of the moment cook, and I was doing a million things at once.

Solidkick
02-16-2005, 06:47 PM
I tried that Jeff and couldn't get up to temp. with 1/3 lit.Really? I know Solidkick said location and altitude can greatly effect your temp ranges. That worked well for me on it's maiden voyage last weekend here in So. Fla.

Try adding some lump to get up to the original pit temp. Here in Missouri, you kinda have to adjust to the conditions. the main thing is not to have all three sections blazing at the same time. Example: First time using the basket, I loaded all 3 sections. (Looked good in Al's picture) Lit off the first section, 1.5 hours later the 2nd section is lit and .5 hours later the 3rd. I've got the side damper completely closed, stack damper only open 1/3, and I'm opening the door every 10 minutes to keep the temps below 350*. Now I own a warped firebox lid. Al's at 5000 feet above sea level, basket didn't react the same way in Missouri.

Believe me guys, Jay and I discussed in detail about the radiant heat setting off the other compartments before time. The double wall divider helps (my original is a single wall), but there is no guarantee that the hot embers that fall through to the ashpan will not contribute to early ignition from the bottom. I've tried using the center section as a 2-3" air gap, only loading fuel in the 2 outer sections. I still had a blazing fire in 2 hours.

So, for me to be able to manage temp with a basket, I use 3 sections looking similar to this: [___!__!__]. I get the first section up to temp, and about the 2 hour mark I load the second section, another 2 hours I load the third. If I have a temp drop in the first section before the second section is lit good, I'll add a little lump to the first. You can also get you pit temp up pretty quick with adding your preheated wood chunks, 2 or 3 will do wonders.

Hope this helps..........experiment........you'll figure it out.........just don't overload........