PDA

View Full Version : Price for Prime Beef Arm

chambersuac
05-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Talking to the new butcher at our local grocery today. He was telling me that since they can't compete with Walmart, he insists on getting good meat (non-enhanced, fresh stuff) no lower than Choice. He then told me sometimes they ship him Prime on accident. I jokingly said, "Save that for me". He told me he had a whole Prime arm that just came in. He told me if I bought the whole arm, I could have it for $3.29/lb. I asked to see it. It is beautiful, with a bit of the brisket still attached. I had him put it aside, since I can't pay for it today.

Am I getting a good price? I think I am - I hope so, too - as I commited to buy it already. Did I goof?

Fatback Joe
05-24-2011, 09:57 AM
I didn't even know they had arms? I thought they were just 4 legged. LOL

Sounds like a good price for prime anything to me. :thumb:

chambersuac
05-24-2011, 10:07 AM
I didn't even know they had arms? I thought they were just 4 legged. LOL

Sounds like a good price for prime anything to me. :thumb:

He did say something about genetically modified...???

The Pigman
05-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Dont know Dan never priced one.........

CarolinaQue
05-24-2011, 10:57 AM
That sounds like the average price for a primal cut of beef. Most butchers around here charge about that if you were to buy a whole side of beef. If it is prime, I'd say you were getting a decent price. Does this include the whole clod also?

chambersuac
05-24-2011, 11:33 AM
That sounds like the average price for a primal cut of beef. Most butchers around here charge about that if you were to buy a whole side of beef. If it is prime, I'd say you were getting a decent price. Does this include the whole clod also?

Sorry to say, but I have no idea...I wouldn't know a clod if you slapped me in the face with it. Although, if it were smoked and served on a plate, I'd eat it :)

CarolinaQue
05-24-2011, 11:43 AM
A shoulder clod is also known as a steamship round. It's basically the whole shoulder from the blade, chuck (boston butt of beef) all the way to what would be the picnic on a pig. Usually weighs around 25 lbs or more. It makes great pulled beef!!!

landarc
05-24-2011, 12:59 PM
From what I can gather from IMPS and cutting guides, the arm roast is a part of the clod, with the clod including the upper leg joint and part of the shoulder, whereas, the arm roast is the lower portion of the clod, with a round bone minus the shoulder joint. Technically, it is not a part of the chuck, it is just below the chuck. Functionally, it is still gonna be good BBQ meat.

I think any beef that is Prime grade at $3.29 a pound is a good deal, even if you count the loss to bone weight.

chambersuac
05-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the info y'all