PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Chris Lilly!

imaisufan
05-24-2011, 07:36 AM
Been pounding through recipes from the Big Bob Gibson BBQ Cook Book. I highly recommend this book ~ especially to those new(er) to BBQ. Great stuff. A couple nights ago for dinner:
Pork Tenderloin and Bacon pinwheels (coated with mustard bbq sauce and coated with pecans)
Sweet potatoes cooked right on the coals with butter, maple syrup, cayenne, and pecan glaze
(not pictured) Warm Big Mama's apple nut cake with a scoop of vanilla Ice cream.

SmokinAussie
05-24-2011, 07:50 AM
Looks good to me! Dang, I was hoping I could see that pie though!

Cheers!

Bill

Frank Grimes
05-24-2011, 08:58 AM
I got the book last year and the first recipe I tried was the pinwheels. They turned out great and were a big hit with the family, and the mustard sauce was very easy to make.

mwmac
05-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Great looking meal:thumb: One thing to look out for as you go thru the recipes in Chris Lilly's book; I believe the World Championship pork shoulder recipe is way off in its measurements for the dry rub. Peace Love and Barbecue has the same recipe but with what I believe are more realistic rub measurements for a whole shoulder. Anyone else notice?

swibirun
05-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Definitely one of my favorite BBQ books, stuffed with great recipes all through out.

gtr
05-24-2011, 12:18 PM
I've had great luck with that book. The sides are great - the honey/balsamic veggies and especially the sweet taters with maple pecan butter - now that's some good stuff!

Militant83
05-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Looks good man, I actually just ordered that book yesterday..cant wait to try some of the recipes out.

Big George's BBQ
05-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Looks and sounds Great Would love to see that pie

Grafixgibbs
05-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Looks great.

I made his Airline Chicken the other day and it was yummy. I had to do it in the oven as it was raining outside and I couldn't get my charcoal lit. I think it will be better when I do it on a cooker.

Shiz-Nit
05-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Lookin good indeed

E Mellow
05-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Great pictures, thanks for sharing! I would agree that the book is worth picking up.

I did a variation these for a party once (12 tenderloins worth) had the butcher slice them for me before I picked them up. Also threw some fresh spinach and herbs in the mix. Tenderloin, bacon, herbs and spinach all stacked up before rolling, finished it with a brandy cream sauce. This is a fun recipe to play around with. Have thought about doing something asain flavored with it but havent gotten around to it.

NBBD
05-24-2011, 03:56 PM
I enjoy this book and find myself reading it over and over again... but can't say if we have ever actually cooked a recipe from it!... your Pics is making think maybe I should this week...

Bacon_99
05-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Interesting book - I liked it at first but haven't found many of the recipes have worked for me but have only tried a few - stopped using it after the white bbq sauce disaster of 2010... That stuff is nasty IMHO - but the mustard BBQ sauce is awesome - especially on roasted potatoes oddly enough.....

toddrod
05-25-2011, 12:53 AM
The white BBQ sauce is all I will put on my chicken now. I love that stuff.

ZouBBQ
05-25-2011, 07:23 AM
White bbq sauce? I've never heard of such a thing.

Phubar
05-25-2011, 07:41 AM
I love pecan crusted pinwheels!
The mustard sauce is wicked as well is the white sauce.

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv96/phubar/IMG_0605.jpg?t=1277593776

imaisufan
05-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Great looking meal:thumb: One thing to look out for as you go thru the recipes in Chris Lilly's book; I believe the World Championship pork shoulder recipe is way off in its measurements for the dry rub. Peace Love and Barbecue has the same recipe but with what I believe are more realistic rub measurements for a whole shoulder. Anyone else notice?

Agreed. I didn't think it was terrible, just very heavy on the chili powder. Honestly though, he has chefs gunning for him at comps all the time. I wouldn't expect that in his cookbook that he would give exact recipes. I've found this to be true in a lot of cookbooks - something is out of proportion, extra added, or something omitted.

"Peace Love and Barbeque"... hmm sounds like something I need for Father's Day!

Big D BBQ
05-26-2011, 10:01 AM
The white sauce is a love it or hate it kinda thing. I like it for a change of pace, it is definately unique, but wouldn't use it all the time.

mwmac
05-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Agreed. I didn't think it was terrible, just very heavy on the chili powder. Honestly though, he has chefs gunning for him at comps all the time. I wouldn't expect that in his cookbook that he would give exact recipes. I've found this to be true in a lot of cookbooks - something is out of proportion, extra added, or something omitted.

"Peace Love and Barbeque"... hmm sounds like something I need for Father's Day!

I'm just saying 1/8 tsp of black pepper for a 16-20 pork shoulder isn't going to cut it, imho. Total rub amount 3 1/2 Tbsp. Peace,Love BBQ lists 1 tsp black pepper for the same recipe (Big Bob Gibson's Grand World Championship Pork Shoulder). Lessons that I take away are: mix small test batches of a rub if working from a recipe (in the correct ingredient proportions); taste/test/adjust proportions and total rub amount to your liking; it is easy to add more salt and virtually impossible to remove it from any over-salted butt.