PDA

View Full Version : WSM Charcoal Reuse?

Moose
05-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Unlike my UDS, it seems that even when I shut down all the vents on the WSM when I'm done smoking, the coals still burn down completely, which means I'm wasting a lot of unused charcoal.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Soybomb
05-23-2011, 09:53 PM
How long have you had it? If its new give it several cooks to develop a nice sealing grease layer. If you've had it a while check the door and tweak it where appropriate for a tight seal. Failing that take the middle section and lay a yard stick across it from several directions (top and bottom) and be sure its fairly round. If its a little shape a small bear hug should get you back round and make your wsm feel loved.

bigabyte
05-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Sounds like a leak, most likely the door or an out of round condition. Also, those little "stops" on the air intakes on one of my units kept them from closing completely, but a little force took care of that problem.

Smoothsmoke
05-23-2011, 09:58 PM
If their are no obvious air leaks then it's probably because your unit is new. It's going to take a handful of cooks to get her shut down. In the mean time, you can put a lid from a kettle right on the bottom section and that should do the trick.